OWINGS MILLS — As of Monday morning, Ray Rice remains a “big part” of the Ravens’ plans heading into the 2014 season.
Rice was reportedly arrested early Saturday morning after an altercation with his fiancée at an Atlantic City casino after which both were charged with simple assault-domestic violence.
General manager Ozzie Newsome addressed Rice’s situation during a news conference Monday to announce a contract extension for outside linebacker Terrell Suggs.
Newsome said that he had not talked to Rice since the incident happened. He said that coach John Harbaugh had not either. But he did say that Rice is still in the team’s plans for this coming season.
The news conference for Suggs started around noon. Newsome said that Harbaugh was in his office less than an hour before that.
“When I left my office about 20 minutes ago, and John had been in there probably 15 minutes before then, Ray Rice was still a big part of what we plan to do in 2014,” Newsome said.
The Ravens released a statement regarding Rice’s situation Sunday night.
In that, they simply said that they were aware of the situation and that Rice and his fiancée returned home together after being detained.
“I don’t know the situation,” Newsome said Monday. “I’ve only gotten what has been written. … Up until, with me, I get all the answers, then that’s when we make decisions within this organization once we get all the information we can get.”