FILMSTUDY: Offensive Line Issues Abound in Loss to Bills

joedownbills

Note: I wrote this piece before the news of Monroe’s acquisition came through. For my thoughts on Eugene Monroe, click here

I frequently get asked, “What is ATS?”

ATS stands for Ample Time and Space.  I define that as a pass play where the QB has at least 3 full seconds to pass beginning with the snap and has room to step into the throw in a 120 degree arc centered on the targeted receiver.

A QB may have ATS on a play where he moves from the pocket by design, but not as a result of being flushed.  ATS is also scored if the QB move slightly in the pocket to avoid pressure (most frequently by stepping up), but not if the 120-degree arc is breached within 1 step.  If the pass is thrown in less than 3 seconds, I try to determine if the pocket would have held up for that full time, but err on the side of “not ATS”.  Most screen passes, for example, are out in less than 3 seconds and are not ATS.

I know it sounds subjective, but if we both scored a game with those rules, we’d agree on 95% of pass plays.

Scoring results for Flacco’s last 3 seasons (2010-12, playoffs included):

Versus the Bills on Sunday:

Anyone who watched Sunday’s game knows the 5 INTs were the reason the Ravens lost, but what’s more stark to me is the fact that 4 came with ATS.  By contrast Joe has had exactly 5 ATS interceptions in each of the last 3 seasons or 1 every 65 such plays.  During that time he never had a game with more than 1 ATS interception.

The 4 interceptions with ATS were 8, 8, 0, and 12 yards downfield.

The game is such an outlier that I have to believe it can be fixed mechanically.

The scoring is based on 63 offensive snaps for the Ravens, all of which were competitive.

McKinnie:  Bryant improved significantly from his game against the Texans.  I can offer 2 explanations.  First, he’s a low-effort run blocker and when the Ravens run the ball just 9 times, they are playing to his strength.  Second, he avoided any penalties after a 2-facemask game which cost him 18 points (.32 per play) last week.  In addition to parts of 3 pressures, I charged him with 2/3 of Williams’ QH (Q4, 1:11) when he blew the stunt pickup.  Scoring:  55 blocks, 3 missed, 2.5 pressures, 1.17 (1/2 + 2/3) QHs, 46.5 points (.74 per play).  I make that a C+ with a slight upgrade for the opposing talent.

Osemele:  Scoring:  58 blocks, 1 missed, 1 pressure, 1.33 QHs, 1 facemask, 43 points (.68 per play).  That would be a high F without adjustment, but he gets upgraded to a D for facing Dareus while having Gradkowski to his right.

Gradkowski:  Gino had as bad a day as I can recall scoring for a Ravens center.  He was party to 9 negative pass-rushing events and opposing defensive coordinators are going to be slavering at the thought of stunts, delays, and cross blitzes you can throw at this guy.  Scoring:  52 blocks, 2 missed, 4.5 (3 full plus 3 half) pressures, 2 QHs, 1 sack, 31 points (.49 per play).  Passing for a center is .77, so adjusting him for the quality of competition would be like giving Bart Simpson an extra 3 points on a calculus test.  F.  He’s now had 3 F’s and a C in 4 games this season.

Yanda:  Marshal had his 2nd consecutive bad game.  I have seen it suggested that Yanda could be moved to center.  After we saw him play so well at RT, I don’t think that would fail, but he shouldn’t move just to make the line calls.  In fact, he can do that right now if he isn’t.  Scoring:  57 blocks, 3 missed, 2.5 pressures, 1 false start, 1 holding, 43 points (.68 per play).  Same score as last week when I gave him a big bump for facing Watt, but this week he can only be adjusted to a D.

Oher:  Michael had a solid game.  He was incorrectly charged with Yanda’s holding call (Q2, 8:34) in the Gamebook.  Otherwise, he was party to a typical number of pass blocking mistakes for 54 drop backs.  Scoring:  58 blocks, 2 missed, 1 pressures, .5 QH, 1 sack, 48.5 points (.77 per play).  B.

This entry was posted in Blog View, Featured, Filmstudy by Ken McKusick. Bookmark the permalink.

About Ken McKusick

Ken McKusick
Ken comes to us via area message boards where he has consistently posted some of the most insightful and memorable posts that you'll find anywhere.  Known as "Filmstudy", Ken is a lifelong Baltimorean and rabid fan of Baltimore sports who grew up about 1 mile from Memorial Stadium.  He attended...more

7 Raves on “FILMSTUDY: Offensive Line Issues Abound in Loss to Bills

  1. jurgenhadley on said:

    Good stuff Ken, I was REALLY hoping Gradkowski would improve…what are our options, in your mind? Switch to Shipley? He looked just as rough in preseason. Wait for Jensen to come back and make him the starter? Can we trust a guy who’s been out for 2 months now, AND is a rookie?!

    I hate to say it, but from my chair here…seems like we’ve got to ride Gradkowski until there’s no season left to play. Agree or disagree?

    • Filmstudy on said:

      Based on the cap situation, I think they won’t pick up another center.

      I’d say there is a 40% chance Shipley starts at some point this season and a 20% chance Jensen does. Only 40% they stick with Gradkowski for the rest of the season.

      In fact, if he performs anywhere like he did at Buffalo, I can’t see how Gino would start against the Packers.

  2. greyredstar on said:

    Barring some “out of the blue” deal from Ozzie I have to agree. Monroe though welcome is a cap killer for us so I doubt any deal is possible. So, its Gino or A.Q….Ugh! Time for Castillo to be the O-line Whisperer.

  3. Ellicottraven on said:

    Is luring Birk out of retirement simply absurd? Will he come if asked and if he does come how long before he gets into game shape? I know this is a potential fantasy on my part, but seeing how bad Gino is and also how pivotal the Center’s job is for our offense, I couldn’t help it…

  4. paulie on said:

    Kind of has a flow to it, now doesn’t it? Center to left: F, D, C+. Center to right: F, D, B. The cost of having a weak center – declining guard play.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

 

Hot off the street

Ravens and 49ers Schedule Joint Practices

The Ravens and 49ers will hold four combined practices in Maryland following their Thursday, Aug. 7 preseason game at M&T Bank Stadium. They will hold a light practice together at M&T the day ...read more

The 2014 NFL Draft by Position: Safety

While there are no sure things, seemingly the nearest to one leading up to May's NFL draft one could say would be that the Baltimore Ravens will take a safety at some point. After using a first rou...read more

Ravens Should Pass on Tight End in First Round

When a player is taken in the first round of the NFL Draft, the goal is for that player to have an immediate impact. The first round is supposed to be the best of the best. If a team hits a home run, ...read more

FLASHBACK FRIDAY: Introducing Anita Marks

Originally published on May 16, 2006   One week before she launches her new sports talk program coincidentally called The Anita Marks Show (funny how that happens), I sat down with Anita Mark...read more

FLASHBACK FRIDAY: Ravens Draft History Round 5

Last week, we touched down on Round 4 of the Ravens draft history. This week we'll focus on Round 5 where the Ravens clearly found some value. 1996 (153) Jermaine Lewis, WR, Maryland The first 5...read more

View More