Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 43
  1. #13

    Re: Swap out Joe from the Cam Offense and insert other NFL QB... Who would be better?



    I watch the Coaches film... The Ravens receivers really rarely get separation thru playcall design or their own route running. If it was simply Joe late on an open window, I'd be critical of him but I just dont see it. Only times I see it is when teams blitz. Teams typically dont rush more than 5 against Ravens now, b/c Joe is successful against the blitz. Teams can usually get decent pressure with 4 guys against our OL.




  2. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    26,621
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Swap out Joe from the Cam Offense and insert other NFL QB... Who would be better?

    Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    I agree about the windows, in general. But we run too many outs and not enough posts/slants, so the "windows" are a result of being "safe," i.e. to the outside. Joe throws them very well because he has a strong arm and because he has a lot of practice since 90% of his career throws seem to be outs (the ones that are not hopeful bombs).

    But there are times, several last night, where Joe just takes the snap, doesn't look anywhere but to a single WR running the out (Boldin/Pitta, etc), sees him blanketed, and throws it anyway, early and while the pocket is holding up. It is hard not to imagine other QBs (maybe ones who are not incessantly lectured about playing safe?) deciding not to throw there but rather to look somewhere else.

    Like you say, the vertical nature of the routes makes the "throwing before the break" kind of completions few and far between. I am just not sure if that is by design because Cam is stupid or by design because Cam/Harbs do not trust Joe to know when to throw to the guy breaking (i.e. whether he will be open based on where the DB is positioned or whether the DB is in position to undercut the break, etc).
    Thing is, they have before...as Ravenswintitle noted above...what changed?
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  3. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    8,832
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Swap out Joe from the Cam Offense and insert other NFL QB... Who would be better?

    Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    Teams typically dont rush more than 5 against Ravens now, b/c Joe is successful against the blitz. Teams can usually get decent pressure with 4 guys against our OL.
    Teams figured out if they drop 8 in coverage, the receivers cant get open running these isolation routes and it forces Joe to hold the ball waiting for them to get open.




  4. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    26,621
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Swap out Joe from the Cam Offense and insert other NFL QB... Who would be better?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    the thing is, they were killing it early this year. The offense looked like it had finally turned the corner and everything was clicking. what changed?
    No idea.

    Supposedly, Cam wants to run the no-huddle.

    Supposedly, the no-huddle was pushed by Caldwell.

    Supposedly, Flacco operates out of the no-huddle better than any other tempo.

    They've been successful with the no-huddle.

    Based on recent reports it would seem that Harbaugh doesn't want to run the no-huddle (just inferring that...have not actually read or heard that).

    IMO, if that is true, it is because the D can't hang and by playing conservative offense, it allows the D to remain rested and not be on the field as often. That is the ONLY reasonable explanation I can come up with.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  5. #17

    Re: Swap out Joe from the Cam Offense and insert other NFL QB... Who would be better?

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Thing is, they have before...as Ravenswintitle noted above...what changed?
    They never have done it "enough," but I agree that some games we complete a couple/few passes like these and others we complete/attempt none. No idea what changed, other than playcalling based on risk assessment, or perhaps in couple instances, us throwing to a safer route on the play.




  6. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    where my head touches the pillow
    Posts
    5,168
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Swap out Joe from the Cam Offense and insert other NFL QB... Who would be better?

    what change was cam, buit haqrbaugh has his hand in it too.




  7. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    14,469
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Swap out Joe from the Cam Offense and insert other NFL QB... Who would be better?

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    No idea.

    Supposedly, Cam wants to run the no-huddle.

    Supposedly, the no-huddle was pushed by Caldwell.

    Supposedly, Flacco operates out of the no-huddle better than any other tempo.

    They've been successful with the no-huddle.

    Based on recent reports it would seem that Harbaugh doesn't want to run the no-huddle (just inferring that...have not actually read or heard that).

    IMO, if that is true, it is because the D can't hang and by playing conservative offense, it allows the D to remain rested and not be on the field as often. That is the ONLY reasonable explanation I can come up with.
    For the SD game I believe that was the case, Harbs pretty much said that. But yesterday they clearly were taking deep shots early and often because they knew that type of game was not what they needed. (I'm speculating of course). Then when Rice gets the TD, and 10 yds on his next carry, I don't think he touched the ball again... it's mind boggling at times
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  8. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    26,621
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Swap out Joe from the Cam Offense and insert other NFL QB... Who would be better?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    For the SD game I believe that was the case, Harbs pretty much said that. But yesterday they clearly were taking deep shots early and often because they knew that type of game was not what they needed. (I'm speculating of course). Then when Rice gets the TD, and 10 yds on his next carry, I don't think he touched the ball again... it's mind boggling at times
    That's what I don't understand.

    How can they expect the play action to work if they aren't giving Rice the ball?
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  9. #21

    Re: Swap out Joe from the Cam Offense and insert other NFL QB... Who would be better?

    I'm thinking the Ravens passed to open up the running game and have rice run out the clock in the 4th at the end. They gambled on the D getting a quick stop on Batch only for him to not only get a TD off a fumble but eat all that clock up and drive down the field for a FG. It almost worked if Doss held on to that pass, then they make a short yardage situation to get a first down and wear the steelers out with Rice. But woulda coulda shoulda don't cut it in this league obviously. The gameplan was right for the most part, keep in mind the Steelers have the number 1 D and are division rivals. Look at what the Rams did to SF this year and look at their record.




  10. #22

    Re: Swap out Joe from the Cam Offense and insert other NFL QB... Who would be better?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Teams figured out if they drop 8 in coverage, the receivers cant get open running these isolation routes and it forces Joe to hold the ball waiting for them to get open.
    Yup defenses have adapted to Cam's scheme and Cam hasnt answered those adjustments. Torrey, last year, would get open on deep balls quite a few times. This year... maybe 3 times at most (Raiders TD). Not good.

    The one new thing they've done successfully (at home) is no-huddle. No-huddle gets Joe in a rhythm. Where the hell was it last nite? If Harbs truly is putting the kibosh on it when Cam and Caldwell want it, he is an idiot. Sure you want the defense rested with ball control offensive drives, but there are ways to run clock with the no huddle. Rice is good at running the ball out of shotgun. Ultimately the offense's #1 goal is to score points and our no-huddle provides that more than the ball control 2WR/FB/TE set.




  11. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    26,621
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Swap out Joe from the Cam Offense and insert other NFL QB... Who would be better?

    Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    Yup defenses have adapted to Cam's scheme and Cam hasnt answered those adjustments. Torrey, last year, would get open on deep balls quite a few times. This year... maybe 3 times at most (Raiders TD). Not good.

    The one new thing they've done successfully (at home) is no-huddle. No-huddle gets Joe in a rhythm. Where the hell was it last nite? If Harbs truly is putting the kibosh on it when Cam and Caldwell want it, he is an idiot. Sure you want the defense rested with ball control offensive drives, but there are ways to run clock with the no huddle. Rice is good at running the ball out of shotgun. Ultimately the offense's #1 goal is to score points and our no-huddle provides that more than the ball control 2WR/FB/TE set.
    It is easy to cover receivers in Cam's offense when they only run 2-3 routes. Secondly, it is easy to cover receivers in Cam's offense because more often than not you have guys running the SAME routes on the SAME side of the field.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  12. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    where my head touches the pillow
    Posts
    5,168
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Swap out Joe from the Cam Offense and insert other NFL QB... Who would be better?

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    It is easy to cover receivers in Cam's offense when they only run 2-3 routes. Secondly, it is easy to cover receivers in Cam's offense because more often than not you have guys running the SAME routes on the SAME side of the field.
    like i been saying for 2yrs now, there is no flooding the zones, no trip sets or bunch formations, no 4-5 wideouts spreading the field, in cam's system you 3 wideouts and 1 TE and rice as the bailout plan those 3 wideouts one on side and 2 on the other one running deep (torrey), one running intermediate (jacoby) and boldin taking the curls and drags its all the same shit every game i EVEN KNOW WHEN ITS COMING if I know you damn sure know nfl coaches know. its the same shit.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland