Page 317 of 333 FirstFirst ... 217267307313314315316317318319320321327 ... LastLast
Results 3,793 to 3,804 of 3987
  1. #3793
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    24,700
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)



    Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I'm not a Da'Rick Rogers fan, but those who are may be interested here.
    I like Rogers a lot. Big guy, nice speed, great hands, and he breaks a lot of tackles.

    bmorecareful has said it, and I agree with him: Rogers would be a good replacement for Boldin. He's a very physical receiver.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  2. #3794
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    24,700
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Any interest from anyone for him coming to Baltimore?
    No.

    He's shown that he can be decent in Josh McDaniels' offense...but that's it.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  3. #3795

    Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I don't know what to think of Gooden as a prospect, but I think it's unfair to use T Gooden as a reason not to draft the kid, just because they had similar attributes coming out of college and shared the same last name. Zavier Gooden could end up being a totally different player, we don't know that. There are plenty of raw athletic LBs who come out and develop into very solid players in the NFL.
    Who said anything about comparing them because they have the same last name?

    I compared them because they share a LOT of the same attributes coming out of college. In fact, I'd argue Tavares was more physical and instinctive than anything I've seen from Zavier.

    If we were to draft him and only play him on passing downs, sure I'm down with that. But any idea of making him a 3 down guy...I don't see it.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  4. #3796
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    24,700
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...cut-ultimatum/

    Dan Connor could be cut from the Cowboys.

    I've always liked him. Solid linebacker. If the Ravens can't keep Ellerbe (or even if they do) Connor might be a nice player who likely wouldn't cost that much. He has experience in a 3-4 and 4-3.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  5. #3797

    Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I'm not a Da'Rick Rogers fan, but those who are may be interested here.
    Could be this year's Mike Williams of the Bucs. I liked his potential a lot before I lost track of him when UT kicked him off the team.




  6. #3798
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,107
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Who said anything about comparing them because they have the same last name?

    I compared them because they share a LOT of the same attributes coming out of college. In fact, I'd argue Tavares was more physical and instinctive than anything I've seen from Zavier.

    If we were to draft him and only play him on passing downs, sure I'm down with that. But any idea of making him a 3 down guy...I don't see it.
    This kid is projected to go in the 3rd/4th rounds, you can't pick every down players with every pick. I understand 1st or 2nd round, or even early 3rd round is too high for him, but if he's going to be good for you in sub package plays, then you draft him. So many sub package players can come in and make key plays at key moments in games these days, everyone wants an every down player, the reality is you're not going to find them with most of your draft picks.

    I also think its way too premature to say he can't make it as a 3 down LB in the league when you have coaches who are determined to change that in a player. I remember Zach Brown who ran a ridiculous 4.5 (or something along those lines) last year, and went in the second round to Tennessee. I know a lot of people who said he wasn't an every down player, and couldn't play in run support to save his life, but he's gone on to have a really good start with a solid rookie year and became a starter in Tennesse.

    Now, I'm not saying Zavier Gooden is going to be like that, and I'm not even suggesting that we should even draft him, but guys like this have a lot of potential IMO.




  7. #3799

    Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I'm not a Da'Rick Rogers fan, but those who are may be interested here.
    sounds like all the right answers, but that doesnt mean it was spoke genuinely.

    Personally id take a chance on him, I think he and Justin Hunter are going to be the better WRs that come out of this class.
    -JAB




  8. #3800

    Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    This kid is projected to go in the 3rd/4th rounds, you can't pick every down players with every pick. I understand 1st or 2nd round, or even early 3rd round is too high for him, but if he's going to be good for you in sub package plays, then you draft him. So many sub package players can come in and make key plays at key moments in games these days, everyone wants an every down player, the reality is you're not going to find them with most of your draft picks.

    I also think its way too premature to say he can't make it as a 3 down LB in the league when you have coaches who are determined to change that in a player. I remember Zach Brown who ran a ridiculous 4.5 (or something along those lines) last year, and went in the second round to Tennessee. I know a lot of people who said he wasn't an every down player, and couldn't play in run support to save his life, but he's gone on to have a really good start with a solid rookie year and became a starter in Tennesse.

    Now, I'm not saying Zavier Gooden is going to be like that, and I'm not even suggesting that we should even draft him, but guys like this have a lot of potential IMO.
    Dude, it's my opinion based off of what I've seen.

    You seem to be annoyed I compared him to Tavares...well, that is what we all do...fans, media, teams...we compare guys to others who had similar traits that came out earlier. You insist on comparing Jesse Williams to Vince Wilfork which I don't agree with. Are we only allowed to compare guys to really good players?

    And of course I know that he could wind up being good...there are players picked in every round and undrafted guys that turn out to be good players. There are going to be players in this draft that you don't like that turn out to be good players. Should you never say you don't like a particular player in the draft because of that? I'm giving my opinion of him based on what I've seen. I can't do anything other than that and neither can you or anybody else.

    Sorry, a 3rd or 4th round pick is mo re valuable IMHO than what you are making it out to be. That 3rd or 4th round pick could be a more complete LB who doesn't run as fast, or a developmental LT, or a safety, or a guy like Da'rick Rogers...those are important picks. Hell, we blew a 3rd in 2008 on what I see "coming out of college"...which is all we have for guys who are in fact "coming out of college" on a similar player and he didn't give us anything.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  9. #3801
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,107
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Dude, it's my opinion based off of what I've seen.

    You seem to be annoyed I compared him to Tavares...well, that is what we all do...fans, media, teams...we compare guys to others who had similar traits that came out earlier. You insist on comparing Jesse Williams to Vince Wilfork which I don't agree with. Are we only allowed to compare guys to really good players?

    And of course I know that he could wind up being good...there are players picked in every round and undrafted guys that turn out to be good players. There are going to be players in this draft that you don't like that turn out to be good players. Should you never say you don't like a particular player in the draft because of that? I'm giving my opinion of him based on what I've seen. I can't do anything other than that and neither can you or anybody else.

    Sorry, a 3rd or 4th round pick is mo re valuable IMHO than what you are making it out to be. That 3rd or 4th round pick could be a more complete LB who doesn't run as fast, or a developmental LT, or a safety, or a guy like Da'rick Rogers...those are important picks. Hell, we blew a 3rd in 2008 on what I see "coming out of college"...which is all we have for guys who are in fact "coming out of college" on a similar player and he didn't give us anything.
    I don't see how I expressed anger in any of my posts.

    Btw if you have such high expectations on 3rd/4th round picks, why don't you go look up the % of those players who ever actually make it in the NFL.




  10. #3802

    Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    sounds like all the right answers, but that doesnt mean it was spoke genuinely.

    Personally id take a chance on him, I think he and Justin Hunter are going to be the better WRs that come out of this class.
    I put him in the Keenan Allen camp. Big athletes playing receiver. To me, he never jumps out on film. Of course, he may have improved a good deal from 2011-2012. The only public tape that I am aware of on Rogers is vs. Oregon and I believe that was very early in the season.
    Last edited by BigPlayReceiver; 02-28-2013 at 10:18 AM.




  11. #3803

    Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I don't see how I expressed anger in any of my posts.

    Btw if you have such high expectations on 3rd/4th round picks, why don't you go look up the % of those players who ever actually make it in the NFL.
    I didn't say anger.

    I said annoyed. You can be annoyed without being upset or pissed.

    Anyway, about the 3rd and 4th round stuff...let's see how good this team would have been without Marshal Yanda, or Bernard Pierce, or Ladarius Webb. Those are important picks.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  12. #3804
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,107
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I didn't say anger.

    I said annoyed. You can be annoyed without being upset or pissed.

    Anyway, about the 3rd and 4th round stuff...let's see how good this team would have been without Marshal Yanda, or Bernard Pierce, or Ladarius Webb. Those are important picks.
    Who else has stood out in the third round of the 2007 NFL draft then? Jacoby Jones was a serviceable depth receiver and good KR in Houston, and only really became something when he signed with the Ravens this season. To me, the 3rd round or 4th round is all about pissing in the wind with picks on players you think has a lot of potential, that is Zavier Gooden all over IMO. When you get past the 2nd round, it really is even more of a crap shoot.

    I wasn't even annoyed btw, I'm just trying to defend poor old Zavier Gooden here because people think he's the next Tavares Gooden before he's even been given a shot!




Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland