Page 297 of 333 FirstFirst ... 197247287293294295296297298299300301307 ... LastLast
Results 3,553 to 3,564 of 3987
  1. #3553
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,060
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)



    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Tons of smoke still wafting around about Jarvis Jones dropping way down due to medical and measurables concerns. Both PFT and Rotoworld are reporting that he is totally off of several teams' draft boards and many scouts feel he will test very unimpressively in the 40, etc.

    I've said it before and I'll say it again... this sounds eerily familiar. I just have a vision of Jarvis Jones totally falling in the draft and sitting there at #32. SUCH a typical Ravens pick and one that if I were Ozzie I'd have the card in within 2 seconds. I don't care what a bunch of other stupid teams think... if his medical checks out, even if he needs to be monitored and presents a little risk, I have an enormous man crush on Jarvis Jones. My top defensive player in the draft IMO.
    Where would he play on our defensive front? OLB or ILB? I don't think he's strong enough to hold the edge in a 3-4 defense.




  2. #3554

    Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Where would he play on our defensive front? OLB or ILB? I don't think he's strong enough to hold the edge in a 3-4 defense.
    I certainly think he could play ILB, but he'd be Suggs' replacement at rush LB. I think his lack of edge-setting ability is getting highly overrated, frankly. Yeah, Alabama had success running the ball straight at him, but who did they NOT have success running the ball at? Jones was the best pass rusher in college football last year and that's what he would be in the NFL, a guy who terrorizes LTs and makes splash plays sacking the QB and taking the ball away.

    Suggs wasn't a great edge-setter when he entered the NFL, he did not run or test well at the Combine, and we've all seen not only the impact he's had rushing the passer but how he's developed into a complete player as well. He was 6'3 255 or so at the Combine, only 10 pounds or so heavier than Jones, and they're similarly built players. I could see Jones having a similar career path to Suggs in the NFL, possibly even better as a pure pass rusher.

    If we were to draft Jones (and I would gladly trade up into the late teens or 20's for him as well BTW based on talent if his medical checks out), in 2013 he would play the Kruger role as a nickel pass rusher, and hopefully by 2014 he'd replace Suggs.




  3. #3555
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,060
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

    Hopefully replace Suggs? Why hopefully? I'm hoping Suggs comes back healthy and returns to old form before talking about replacements who we're really not sure on.

    Btw it wasn't JUST against Alabama, go back and watch some other games, the guy isn't good at setting the edge.




  4. #3556

    Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Hopefully replace Suggs? Why hopefully? I'm hoping Suggs comes back healthy and returns to old form before talking about replacements who we're really not sure on.

    Btw it wasn't JUST against Alabama, go back and watch some other games, the guy isn't good at setting the edge.
    Him replacing Kruger would be awesome IMO. I love Upshaw and think he's the best possible replacement to JJ, but I Jones could be that pass rusher we need across from Suggs




  5. #3557

    Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Hopefully replace Suggs? Why hopefully? I'm hoping Suggs comes back healthy and returns to old form before talking about replacements who we're really not sure on.

    Btw it wasn't JUST against Alabama, go back and watch some other games, the guy isn't good at setting the edge.
    You should re-evaluate your opinion. I've watched 6 or 7 games worth of tape on Jones and he's not an elite edge-setter, but he's much better than people are giving him credit for, and that's not his game anyway, the guy is a rush and pursue player. Let me know when guys are universally acknowledged as the best defensive players in the SEC strictly for their play against the run.

    Suggs is going to be 32 years old by October 2014 and will have been in the league 11 years. VERY few edge rushers are playing at a high level in the league after 10 years especially ones coming off an Achilles tear and biceps tear. I've been saying this all season long, but the smart money is on Suggs never playing at a high level again. It's time to find his replacement.

    We've been depending for far too long on squeezing one more year out of old, broken-down players who have been Ravens favorites for years and years. We already got burned by waiting a year too long to find Ray and Ed's replacements. Let's not do that again.




  6. #3558
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,060
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    You should re-evaluate your opinion. I've watched 6 or 7 games worth of tape on Jones and he's not an elite edge-setter, but he's much better than people are giving him credit for, and that's not his game anyway, the guy is a rush and pursue player. Let me know when guys are universally acknowledged as the best defensive players in the SEC strictly for their play against the run.

    Suggs is going to be 32 years old by October 2014 and will have been in the league 11 years. VERY few edge rushers are playing at a high level in the league after 10 years especially ones coming off an Achilles tear and biceps tear. I've been saying this all season long, but the smart money is on Suggs never playing at a high level again. It's time to find his replacement.

    We've been depending for far too long on squeezing one more year out of old, broken-down players who have been Ravens favorites for years and years. We already got burned by waiting a year too long to find Ray and Ed's replacements. Let's not do that again.
    I think its way too premature to say Suggs is simply done one year off DPOY though, the guy managed to beat Ryan Clady for two sacks with one arm in the divisional game, and before this injury, it wasn't like he had an injury plagued career anyway.




  7. #3559

    Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Hopefully replace Suggs? Why hopefully? I'm hoping Suggs comes back healthy and returns to old form before talking about replacements who we're really not sure on.

    Btw it wasn't JUST against Alabama, go back and watch some other games, the guy isn't good at setting the edge.
    We all are "hopefull" regarding Suggs.

    But the fact is that the is coming off 2 severe injuries, and is exiting his prime...he is an old 30/31 as is entering his 11th season this year.

    There is by no means any guarantee that he will come close to that DPOY form....anc considering his age and enormous cap numbers from here on out, he is going to be a prime candidate to be released if he can't regain his form.

    It would be smart to look for his eventual replacement. Hell, Jones could take over the Kruger role for a year or 2...it's not like the guy would not get on the field...he likely would instantly become our best pure pass rusher.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  8. #3560
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,060
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

    Oh no, I know there is a chance he will never come close to it, but the way bmorecarefull is talking, its like a for gone conclusion that he's pretty much done. He doesn't even need surgery on his biceps btw.




  9. #3561

    Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    We've been depending for far too long on squeezing one more year out of old, broken-down players who have been Ravens favorites for years and years. We already got burned by waiting a year too long to find Ray and Ed's replacements. Let's not do that again.
    I dunno... if by 'got burned' you mean 'won the Super Bowl'... maybe we should hang onto Suggs and Reed for awhile yet.




  10. #3562

    Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Oh no, I know there is a chance he will never come close to it, but the way bmorecarefull is talking, its like a for gone conclusion that he's pretty much done. He doesn't even need surgery on his biceps btw.
    I mean, it IS a foregone conclusion that Suggs isn't 25 or 26 years old, he's going to be 31, and he's not even under contract after 2014. That means we need to try to get his successor either this draft or the next. If Jarvis Jones falls to 32, he's going to be the BPA at a position of need. In 2013 he'd fill Kruger's role as the nickel rush LB, in 2014 he can either play that role again if Suggs is good to go, or if not we can cut him and Jones would take over his role full-time.

    I didn't mean "hopefully" as in I don't want Suggs to be back... I would love to see him finish out his contract here. I meant that as in, if Suggs is never the same player again, hopefully Jones would be ready to replace him by 2014.




  11. #3563
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,060
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Draft / FA / Offseason Roster Moves (Merged)

    I still HIGHLY doubt Jarvis Jones will fall to us anyway. If Bruce Irvin went in the first round last year, Jarvis Jones will be gone in the top 15. Can't see the likes of Rex Ryan passing up on Jarvis Jones.




  12. #3564
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    24,368
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I still HIGHLY doubt Jarvis Jones will fall to us anyway. If Bruce Irvin went in the first round last year, Jarvis Jones will be gone in the top 15. Can't see the likes of Rex Ryan passing up on Jarvis Jones.
    Or Pittsburgh ...

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland