Page 3 of 333 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 3987
  1. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    25,787
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread



    Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    BUT is Te'o worth that much to give up? THAT is the question. Or do you maybe move up a couple slots and take whomever?

    Bottom line is MLB and 3-4DE should be taken in the first 2 rounds and they better be home runs no matter what it takes. So is he worth that much, or will there be a surefire end that'll be a starter we can move up a handfull and get and grab a MLB in the 2nd that is more than serviceable?
    When was the last time you saw a LB as a Heisman finalist?

    Now, I don't think that T'eo is the athlete that Patrick Willis is, but I think T'eo is by and large one of the 3 best defensive players in this draft. He'd be an instant upgrade over every LB on this roster, including Ray Lewis (sorry dude), and he'd be one of the best LB's in the league for a long time.

    If not T'eo, you'd be looking at Alex Ogletree and/or CJ Mosley, both of whom are very good players, but they don't have what T'eo has.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  2. #26

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    We have no chance at landing T'eo .. Not unless Ozzie pulls a falcons move and trades up to get him.




  3. #27

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    When was the last time you saw a LB as a Heisman finalist?

    Now, I don't think that T'eo is the athlete that Patrick Willis is, but I think T'eo is by and large one of the 3 best defensive players in this draft. He'd be an instant upgrade over every LB on this roster, including Ray Lewis (sorry dude), and he'd be one of the best LB's in the league for a long time.

    If not T'eo, you'd be looking at Alex Ogletree and/or CJ Mosley, both of whom are very good players, but they don't have what T'eo has.
    And thats what I mean, is he worth our 1st, 2nd and 4th along with next years whatever???? Is he THAT much better than say Ogletree or Mosley who might be thre when we pick, or we may have to sacrfice say a 3rd to move up a couple spots. Kinda a bang for your buck question. Obviously he's the best MLB to come out since Willis, whom was the best since Ray.

    I'm just not entirely sure he's worth those kind of picks. Bth Ogletree and Mosley would be a instant upgrade over anyone we have at MLB right now also, along with still being able to add a 3-4end in the 2nd better than Jones/McPhee. So you just upgraded 2 positions of dire need without sacrficing a whole lot.




  4. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    25,787
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravensghost View Post
    We have no chance at landing T'eo .. Not unless Ozzie pulls a falcons move and trades up to get him.
    That's what I'm saying.

    Pull a Falcons and take a guy who you KNOW is going to impact from day 1.

    T'eo
    Joeckel
    Star Lotulelei
    Jarvis Jones
    Damontre Moore
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  5. #29

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Iscull View Post
    For next season:

    1. Review coaching staff. Fire Cam. Look at possible replacement for Moeller.
    For OC: Promote Caldwell or bring in Turner.

    2. Bring back Flacco.

    3. Cut/Let Walk/Retire:
    McClain
    Birk
    Williams
    McKinnie
    Ayanbedejo
    Kruger
    Williams
    Kemoeatu
    McBean
    Considine

    4. Tender:
    Pitta
    Dickson
    Cox
    Art Jones

    5. Resign:
    Flacco
    Reed
    Ellerbe
    Let's assume that Kruger and Reed were to command the same in free agency (an assumption that's probably wrong since Reed doesn't seem fond of any hometown discounts)

    You would rather keep Reed for 1-2 more years over Kruger for 3-5? How do you figure that?




  6. #30

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think that they are undoubtedly going to have to cut folks that they probably don't want to cut.

    I love what Jacoby brings as a return specialist, but short of a few catches here and there he hasn't dont much of anything offensively. Could Asa Jackson not do the same thing returning kicks/punts? That's $4 mill right there that doesn't need to be spent.

    Regarding Boldin - I can almost guarantee that he'll either take a pay cut, or have his deal restructured. There is no way they can pay him $7.5 mill next year.

    Pitta and Dickson will be RFA's, but they'll be cheap.

    Defensively, the only guys they will really need to figure out is Kruger and Ellerbe. McClain can walk because he doesn't provide much of anything as an ILB. Frankly, I thought Bynes did a better job.

    And as much as I'd hate to say it, I don't think it would be wise to resign Ed Reed. They have to get younger and faster on D.
    Aside from the Jacoby Jones comment, I think you're on the money. Jones is a game changer. Look at how other teams are approaching him now....

    Agree with everything else.




  7. #31

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Lots of $$$ out there and some of it is being wasted IMO.

    McClain is due $3M in 2013 and $3.2M in 2014. (Awful value. Need to get from under this)

    Birk is due $2.75M in 2013. (Sub-par value)
    Oher is due $3M in 2013. (Sub par value)
    Suggs is due $6.4M in 2013 and $7.8M in 2014. (Restructure)
    Boldin is due $6M in 2013 and 2014. (Sub-par value but...New OC + Franchise tag "experiment" = dumb to cut loose a mostly reliable WR)
    Jones is due $4M in 2013. (Ask again later...I'm having a hard time justifying $10M between Jones and Boldin)
    Bobbie Willilams is due $1.2M in 2013. (Cut)
    Ayanbadejo: $940K in 2013. (Cut)
    Leach: $3M in 2013. (The new OC may completely devalue the FB position)

    Re-sign priority:
    Ellerbe

    Otherwise:
    Ed Reed: I love him, but I would not re-sign.
    Cary Williams: Gone.
    Ray is due $5.4M in 2013. I would like to see him retire.

    #1- That $940k we'd potentially pay to Ayanbadejo is a very nice value. First, as a player, he can still play. It seems every year down the stretch, once the injuries pile up to the linebackers, BA is there in a pinch making plays. Let me say this very directly, we don't win that game in San Diego without him. Ray Rice never sees that opportunity to convert 4th and 29 if not for 3 excellent defensive plays he made in the two preceding drives. Also, he made two game saving tackles last year in the Cleveland week 16 game that preserved that win. He can still run and he can still tackle. He has value at a very low cost.

    #2 Keep in mind that the salary for Ayanbadejo is essentially the veteran minimum. If we cut his $940k (assuming there is no cap penalty for doing so), we would have to replace his 940k with another salary that will count in the 475-550k range. So cutting Dejo really would only save us 400k at the max.

    #3 Without knowing how Jameel's contract is structured, it's hard to say if it's a good decision to cut him or not. If we could get off the hook for $3 million with no penalty, I'd probably do it. However, depending on how much "Dead money" is wrapped into the decision to cut him, it might not make sense.

    #4 Michael Oher, even if he is in that 15-20 range as far as left tackles go, is still a reasonably good value at $3 million. Certainly not subpar value in any way. People love to point out Oher's critical mistakes and overlook some of his exceptional run blocks. He's a steal at $3 million in today's market.




  8. #32

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by bhcforlife View Post
    the fact that they are picking later in the round is really your primary argument here? Ray lewis was the 26th pick in the draft. Reed was the 24th. Rice was a 2nd round pick. Webb a 3rd rounder. Yanda a 3rd rounder. Could go on and on. Where they pick is irrelevant, they still have a job to bring in quality players, and what do i expect? I expect the gm and fo of this team to do their jobs and bring in those quality players, like they had done for so many years prior.

    Nobody is forcing ozzie to trade down, either.
    outstanding! +1




  9. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    25,787
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Aside from the Jacoby Jones comment, I think you're on the money. Jones is a game changer. Look at how other teams are approaching him now....

    Agree with everything else.
    Dude is a heck of a return specialist...but he doesn't contribute a whole lot on offense anymore...whether that is by design, who knows. It seems that Doss has taken a lot of his snaps.

    Furthermore, does being a really good return specialist justify a $4mill cap hit? I don't know. Frankly, I think what they should do is offer him an extension that breaks his cap number up a bit and if he takes it, great. If not, see ya.

    Could Deonte Thompson not replicate that? He's just as fast...probably faster. Thompson has also been VERY impressive when he's gotten on the field with the offense. I'm just saying, Thompson would cost significantly less and from what we've seen so far, he may be able to replicate Jacoby's return ability. We don't know.

    What we do know is if they keep Jacoby and Boldin, they'll have over $10 million locked up in a 33 year old possession receiver and a part time receiver/return specialist.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  10. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Posts
    2,663

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Dude is a heck of a return specialist...but he doesn't contribute a whole lot on offense anymore...whether that is by design, who knows. It seems that Doss has taken a lot of his snaps.

    Furthermore, does being a really good return specialist justify a $4mill cap hit? I don't know. Frankly, I think what they should do is offer him an extension that breaks his cap number up a bit and if he takes it, great. If not, see ya.

    Could Deonte Thompson not replicate that? He's just as fast...probably faster. Thompson has also been VERY impressive when he's gotten on the field with the offense. I'm just saying, Thompson would cost significantly less and from what we've seen so far, he may be able to replicate Jacoby's return ability. We don't know.

    What we do know is if they keep Jacoby and Boldin, they'll have over $10 million locked up in a 33 year old possession receiver and a part time receiver/return specialist.
    Quite frankly he's might not be worth much of anything of they remove kickoffs. He hasn't done a lot in passing lately because he doesn't see the field a lot




  11. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    25,787
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

    Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Quite frankly he's might not be worth much of anything of they remove kickoffs. He hasn't done a lot in passing lately because he doesn't see the field a lot
    Which could indicate that they are liking Doss more as the #3 receiver, which also points to Jacoby not being worth $4 mill.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  12. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Quite frankly he's might not be worth much of anything of they remove kickoffs. He hasn't done a lot in passing lately because he doesn't see the field a lot
    Ah yes...completely forgot about the chance of KRs going away. Thanks.

    That would seal the [no] deal for me...unless the new OC can integrate him (and everyone else for that matter) into the offense better.
    Back to the AFCCG we go. So get ready!

    Having fun talking football on Twitter @BigPlayReceiver




Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland