Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 47
  1. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    19,963

    Re: OT - Goodell considering expanding playoffs



    Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    But much like the president, sometimes he'll be their mouthpiece and sometimes he'll push his own agenda.
    He can't push his own agenda. That's not how they're set up.

    The NFL is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. The owners select Goodell to run, in essence, their club of football teams. He has to do as he's told or they will find a new Commish.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.





  2. #14

    Re: OT - Goodell considering expanding playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    He can't push his own agenda. That's not how they're set up.

    The NFL is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. The owners select Goodell to run, in essence, their club of football teams. He has to do as he's told or they will find a new Commish.
    The London thing is his agenda.

    Sure, the owners also agree with it and want the potential money, but he is the one spearheading that push. Obviously he can't do anything the owners don't want but he does have the power to spearhead certain initiatives that are advantageous to the owners.

    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5741331

    He just has to get the players and teams on board first, which may not be all that difficult.




  3. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    19,963

    Re: OT - Goodell considering expanding playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    The London thing is his agenda.

    Sure, the owners also agree with it and want the potential money, but he is the one spearheading that push.
    Yes, at the behest of the owners.

    The league doesn't see a dime in profits. The individual teams do.

    All revenue the league brings in (fines, TV deals, etc) pays for the league operational costs and what's left over gets spread out amongst the 32 teams.

    He's put in place to be their lightening rod. He takes the hits; that's what he's paid to do.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  4. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    1,333

    Re: OT - Goodell considering expanding playoffs

    Hate this, no matter who is behind it.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...





  5. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    6,879

    Re: OT - Goodell considering expanding playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    14 teams means best team in each conference gets a bye.
    16 teams means no one gets a bye.

    Not sure which I like better. Probably 14 teams.
    I agree with 14 and a bye for each. 16 is too many, half the league? What's the point of a regular season?
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  6. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Calvert County
    Posts
    1,718
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OT - Goodell considering expanding playoffs

    14 teams at most. Teams like the Jets and Rams would be in the playoffs under a 16 team playoff. Nothing against those teams, but I don't need to see that. MLB and NFL have the best playoffs IMO because so few teams get in, the NHL and NBA let half the league in and it diminishes the acheivement of making the playoffs, as well as the overall level of play in the playoffs...

    Having said that, I'm sure it will happen eventually. This is an easier fight than the 18 game schedule.




  7. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Balmer Merlin Hon
    Posts
    2,584
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OT - Goodell considering expanding playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    If they can't extend the season it is a sneaky way to get more $$$. I bet it happens.
    Bingo, Cap'n. The one good thing about Greedell is that any time the fans forget that this is a business, you can always dig out some harebrained idea he's floated & wave it in their collective face to remind them.




  8. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    11,322
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: OT - Goodell considering expanding playoffs

    Remember how everyone screamed when a 7-9 Seahawks team made the playoffs a couple of years ago? Imagine that almost every year. Last year for example there were 6 AFC and 6 NFC teams with winning records. More spots means setting things up for .500 or losing teams to make the playoffs.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  9. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Balmer Merlin Hon
    Posts
    2,584
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OT - Goodell considering expanding playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Yes, at the behest of the owners.

    The league doesn't see a dime in profits. The individual teams do.

    All revenue the league brings in (fines, TV deals, etc) pays for the league operational costs and what's left over gets spread out amongst the 32 teams.
    Mmm, doesn't the fine money go to a charity of the player's choice?
    He's put in place to be their lightning rod. He takes the hits; that's what he's paid to do.
    He's the CEO but they're the Board of Directors & they can vote him out at any time.

    Next time y'all start bitching about "greedy players" & strikes & lawsuits, try to keep in mind that as much money as they make, they're still only employees, mostly very short-term hires, who when contracts are violated or working conditions unsafe have no ultimate recourse except the threat of court action.




  10. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    6,677

    Re: OT - Goodell considering expanding playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Remember how everyone screamed when a 7-9 Seahawks team made the playoffs a couple of years ago? Imagine that almost every year. Last year for example there were 6 AFC and 6 NFC teams with winning records. More spots means setting things up for .500 or losing teams to make the playoffs.
    Exactly.
    "I got this." - Justin Tucker




  11. #23

    Re: OT - Goodell considering expanding playoffs

    Why not emulate baseball and have a 162 game regular season - that should improve safety!




  12. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    19,963
    Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Mmm, doesn't the fine money go to a charity of the player's choice?
    Yes. I simplified my remarks for the sake of brevity. I'd lump all of that under what I called operational costs.

    Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Next time y'all start bitching about "greedy players" & strikes & lawsuits, try to keep in mind that as much money as they make, they're still only employees, mostly very short-term hires, who when contracts are violated or working conditions unsafe have no ultimate recourse except the threat of court action.
    When has a players contract been voided without cause?

    And they do have recourse. They have a union. If they wanted better working conditions or more of a meaningful recourse, they should have found a way to get it in the CBA.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland