Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 37 to 48 of 62
  1. #37

    Re: Trade for Kirk cousins



    What about setting Flacco free & signing Alex Smith? Is he just a late bloomer? I think he would get good money but maybe not the bucks that Flacco would be seeking? I could be way off base.

    Of course, fixing the line is huge as well & getting any QB is a lost cause without the line being solid. Do they give Oher his deal and keep him at LT, keep K.O. at RT, Yanda at RG, Gradkowski takes over C and draft a solid LG with a first or second round pick?

    I know that Oher is probably a better RT but how many sacks attributed to him were due to Flacco's lack of pocket presence & not stepping up in the pocket?





  2. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Eastern Shore
    Posts
    1,520

    Re: Trade for Kirk cousins

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Only if Flacco agrees to take what the Ravens offer him. If not he might want to try his luck in Oakland or Buffalo or Arizona
    I think he gets the tag this time around. If he he has another bad year he will be gone.
    "Screw it, let's ride"!




  3. #39

    Re: Trade for Kirk cousins

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Could this just be a bad year for Flacco? I'm not riding his junk as much as I was in year's past, but I think the franchise QB search is a roll of the dice. Boller was on other team's radars too. People hyped up Josh Freeman. Rex Grossman was once considered a great QB prospect. People on this board practically NUTTED over drafting Colt Brennan or Colt McCoy. Someone show me the name of a QB available from 15 or later that will SURE FIRE be better than Joe...
    Every QB has had a bad season or two, look up some of the greats. I am not excusing Joe for bad play but this whole season is just weird to me. Everyone is all about Luck and RG3, I have seen that along wil Wilson and the other rookie QBs that some anylysts already want to compare this to the 83 class. That is just bull, these kids have not accomplished anything yet and its unfair to put that pressure on them. if next yuear thye struggle like many 2nd years QBs do and can will people flip on them and say thye suck? Sure will, only time will tell how good they end up being, all you cna say for now is so far so good but what about next year when expectations go up?


    Joe has shown that he can be clutch at times, more often than not has succeeded in being clutch so he can put the team on his shoulders but he still needs help fore the rest of the time, namely an Oline that can consistently block well, they, like Joe seem to almost be good and bad game to game or quarter to quarter some times. Joe made some nice throws today when they gave him time and he had better pocket precense, running out of it a couple of times and throwing it away.

    No that does not exucse the INT but that was also a horrible play call, should have had Torrey cut underneath toward the middle, I don't think they have run a play like that before or if so not in a while and Joe did not have time to read the D, what he did wronmg was look at Q but I am not sure if most if not all QBs would have done thath, he got the snap, looked at him and then threw and the DB read it right obviously and the throw looked slow and poor as well, no excuse for it but that may be an example of setting him up to fail, another thing he should have done is said I am not running this play, call a TO and talk about it.

    I did see some good play calls today, on David's Reed reception he ran an out with a cut. Someone talked about last week that the O does not run routes that 'break the DBs ankles" well that did, the DB actualfly tripped over his own feet I think so there is some hope I believe.




  4. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Parkville, MD
    Posts
    2,127

    Re: Trade for Kirk cousins

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Could this just be a bad year for Flacco? I'm not riding his junk as much as I was in year's past, but I think the franchise QB search is a roll of the dice. Boller was on other team's radars too. People hyped up Josh Freeman. Rex Grossman was once considered a great QB prospect. People on this board practically NUTTED over drafting Colt Brennan or Colt McCoy. Someone show me the name of a QB available from 15 or later that will SURE FIRE be better than Joe...
    I don't think so. His stats this year are very similar to the stats in his first 4 seasons. I think he's reached his potential. He's an average QB.




  5. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    12,476
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Trade for Kirk cousins

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenMan View Post
    Every QB has had a bad season or two, look up some of the greats. I am not excusing Joe for bad play but this whole season is just weird to me. Everyone is all about Luck and RG3, I have seen that along wil Wilson and the other rookie QBs that some anylysts already want to compare this to the 83 class. That is just bull, these kids have not accomplished anything yet and its unfair to put that pressure on them. if next yuear thye struggle like many 2nd years QBs do and can will people flip on them and say thye suck? Sure will, only time will tell how good they end up being, all you cna say for now is so far so good but what about next year when expectations go up?


    Joe has shown that he can be clutch at times, more often than not has succeeded in being clutch so he can put the team on his shoulders but he still needs help fore the rest of the time, namely an Oline that can consistently block well, they, like Joe seem to almost be good and bad game to game or quarter to quarter some times. Joe made some nice throws today when they gave him time and he had better pocket precense, running out of it a couple of times and throwing it away.

    No that does not exucse the INT but that was also a horrible play call, should have had Torrey cut underneath toward the middle, I don't think they have run a play like that before or if so not in a while and Joe did not have time to read the D, what he did wronmg was look at Q but I am not sure if most if not all QBs would have done thath, he got the snap, looked at him and then threw and the DB read it right obviously and the throw looked slow and poor as well, no excuse for it but that may be an example of setting him up to fail, another thing he should have done is said I am not running this play, call a TO and talk about it.

    I did see some good play calls today, on David's Reed reception he ran an out with a cut. Someone talked about last week that the O does not run routes that 'break the DBs ankles" well that did, the DB actualfly tripped over his own feet I think so there is some hope I believe.
    This is kind've where I'm at. That pick 6 was the back breaker. The problem is that in year 5, having those bonehead moments really starts to shake your confidence in him. I think we're all of the opinion, Joe is never going to be that "elite" level of QB. But can he still be the above average - good QB that can take a talented team and put them in position to succeed? Remains to be seen a bit.

    Interested to see how negotiations play out. I really can't see Linta coming at us with the same numbers. He's got to know Joe's value has plummeted this year. I'd like to see if we can "Alex Smith" him and look for a QB in rounds 2-4 that could push him to either be better or out of the starting job. If he plays better, we have a solid backup, ala Cousins.
    .
    .
    FOR REED, BIRK, BOLDIN, RAY, ART, TEVIN, OJ, and BALTIMORE...
    SUPER BOWL 47 CHAMPION RAVENS!!!!!!

    "We don't make it easy, but that's the way the city of Baltimore is, and that's the way we are. We did this for them back home." - Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVP


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  6. #42

    Re: Trade for Kirk cousins

    Quote Originally Posted by rjslomo View Post
    What about setting Flacco free & signing Alex Smith? Is he just a late bloomer? I think he would get good money but maybe not the bucks that Flacco would be seeking? I could be way off base.

    Of course, fixing the line is huge as well & getting any QB is a lost cause without the line being solid. Do they give Oher his deal and keep him at LT, keep K.O. at RT, Yanda at RG, Gradkowski takes over C and draft a solid LG with a first or second round pick?

    I know that Oher is probably a better RT but how many sacks attributed to him were due to Flacco's lack of pocket presence & not stepping up in the pocket?
    Joe is 9-5 with a defense that leaks like a sieve (injuries and attrition)
    Receivers who drop balls pretty frequently
    An offensive system that kinda sucks IMO
    An offensive line that kinda sucks IMO

    Joe has many deficiencies, knowing how to win is not one of them. With enough decent talent around him he can make it work. Ray Rice has a lot to do with 9 wins but so does Joe. If I came on here and read the board and did not know better you would think that Joe was losing with none of those issues above. People wanna bail now that we have lost 3 straight. Whats more likely, Joe forgot how to win or that the injuries and the toll they have taken are finally catching up with this team.

    Calm down. Joe is Joe. He is not elite but he is a winner IMO. 5yrs in the playoffs if thats not enough for some people, by all means dump him. You just may not like how that scenario plays out if we get unlucky and draft Kyle Boller part Deux.
    A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,
    -Ray Lewis




  7. Re: Trade for Kirk cousins

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    Joe is 9-5 with a defense that leaks like a sieve (injuries and attrition)
    Receivers who drop balls pretty frequently
    An offensive system that kinda sucks IMO
    An offensive line that kinda sucks IMO

    Joe has many deficiencies, knowing how to win is not one of them. With enough decent talent around him he can make it work. Ray Rice has a lot to do with 9 wins but so does Joe. If I came on here and read the board and did not know better you would think that Joe was losing with none of those issues above. People wanna bail now that we have lost 3 straight. Whats more likely, Joe forgot how to win or that the injuries and the toll they have taken are finally catching up with this team.

    Calm down. Joe is Joe. He is not elite but he is a winner IMO. 5yrs in the playoffs if thats not enough for some people, by all means dump him. You just may not like how that scenario plays out if we get unlucky and draft Kyle Boller part Deux.
    Essentially you're saying that because we can do worse than Joe, we can't do better. I respectfully disagree. Especially since its not happening in a vacuum, money comes into play and it very much matters what Joe is commanding.




  8. #44

    Re: Trade for Kirk cousins

    The excuses are alive and well.

    It's simply ridiculous that issues I have stated in detail over the past YEARS(!) are still issues and some folks are still excusing them. Twisting themselves in knots for the silver lining. For years now I have been critical of Joe and Ozzie. The problems are so obvious (poor talent evaluation, poor instincts and awareness at QB, along with inconsistent accuracy) and are mounting. This team is in trouble.




  9. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    11,320
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Trade for Kirk cousins

    Quote Originally Posted by RavingMad View Post
    The excuses are alive and well.

    It's simply ridiculous that issues I have stated in detail over the past YEARS(!) are still issues and some folks are still excusing them. Twisting themselves in knots for the silver lining. For years now I have been critical of Joe and Ozzie. The problems are so obvious (poor talent evaluation, poor instincts and awareness at QB, along with inconsistent accuracy) and are mounting. This team is in trouble.
    In the past though your cap wasn't going to be crippled by what you had to pay your QB. You can put players around Flacco at his rookie contract cap value. It's a lot harder to do that when you have to pay him $14 in a season or $100 million for the next bunch of years.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  10. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Eastern Shore
    Posts
    1,520

    Re: Trade for Kirk cousins

    Quote Originally Posted by RavingMad View Post
    The excuses are alive and well.

    It's simply ridiculous that issues I have stated in detail over the past YEARS(!) are still issues and some folks are still excusing them. Twisting themselves in knots for the silver lining. For years now I have been critical of Joe and Ozzie. The problems are so obvious (poor talent evaluation, poor instincts and awareness at QB, along with inconsistent accuracy) and are mounting. This team is in trouble.
    The team is in trouble, but I don't know why you want to hang it on Joe. This defense has been so bad, and we have still won 9 games. If not for 2 blown wins (thanks to our defense) against the skins and the steelers we would be 11-3 right now. Yeah, Joe hasn'd had a great year, but you just can't hang all this shit on him.
    "Screw it, let's ride"!




  11. #47

    Re: Trade for Kirk cousins

    Quote Originally Posted by MoonwalkJenkins View Post
    Essentially you're saying that because we can do worse than Joe, we can't do better. I respectfully disagree. Especially since its not happening in a vacuum, money comes into play and it very much matters what Joe is commanding.
    Respectfully I disagree. QB's get overpaid. That is reality. Look at the money Flynn got, Kolb, etc. Those guys had proved very little and look how they got paid. There is a reason for that. Nobody thought Kolb or Flynn could be elite...they hoped they could be guys who could win with talent around them. Something Joe has done going on 5 yrs

    Have no issue with drafting another guy to develop. Blowing a first on a QB would be dumb considering our needs. None of the QB's in this draft remotely compare in certainty to guys like Luck, RGB, or even Cam in Carolina. Its universally agreed its weak class.

    Just saying you dont bail on a guy like Joe to take a chance on somebody who has not proven anything. Joe has proven if a guy could have held on to the ball he could have had a team in the SB.... thats more valuable than people realize. You sure as hell do not let a winner walk for Matt (I cant displace Russell Wilson) Flynn or Alex (lost my job to a rookie) Smith. I would rather overpay at the QB position for a guy who has shown he can win here already than hope one of those guys can do the same for a little cheaper.
    A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,
    -Ray Lewis




  12. #48

    Re: Trade for Kirk cousins

    They'd have to be insane to give Flacco some huge deal now. Franchise him and work on getting his replacement. If he tears it up next season somehow, then you can talk turkey. I really don't see Flacco looking any different next year than this year. He has reached his ceiling and the flaws everyone has complained about for years are just not fixable.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland