Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 72 of 86
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Bel Air, MD
    Posts
    131

    Re: Anyone remember the 1977 season?



    Quote Originally Posted by Loco Ravens Fan View Post
    How about the playoff game against the Steelers and the airplane that was buzzing around Memorial stadium and at the end of the game crashed in the upper deck around section 40! We had seats in that section for most of the game but Pittsburgh had a huge lead and most fans had already left. We had gone down to the lower concourse to sit with family at halftime and could hear the plane circling the stadium.
    Ahem, Charles Kroner at the wheel of that plane, remember it like yesterday, I was a kid and we were seated one section away, but gone by the time he "landed".




  2. #62
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,373
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Anyone remember the 1977 season?

    Here's some really great Colts stories I never heard of.

    I knew that Berry got Lenny Moore going as a receiver. When Weeb wanted him to catch he told Berry that Unitas wasn't throwing to him.
    Berry said you have to work late with John if you want him to throw to you during a game. He has to know where you are going to be within 1/16 of a second on a turn. He can only know by working late and in the dark.

    If you look at John's old throws to Berry on the side line Berry doesn't turn his head til the last possible second and the ball is right there in his face with the corner's back to the ball. He never had a chance to make the play.

    I was pissed off at Berry for going to the SB and giving out the trophy. He knew Bmore was pissed but didn't care. He started writing Peyton Manning about things he and Unitas did and Manning wrote back and invited him to the games. Berry even went to some banquets out there.

    He and Shula were the only old Colts to go to Indy.


    But here's some great stories.


    http://www.pressboxonline.com/story.cfm?id=7785
    UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU.




  3. #63
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Bel Air, MD
    Posts
    131

    Re: Anyone remember the 1977 season?

    Quote Originally Posted by ed from Bel Air View Post
    We were there. Luckily that game was a blow out. Because every one left early no one was left in the seats when the plane crashed. Otherwise people might have gotten killed. Even the pilot survived. I know the plane took off from a small airport near Churchville.
    Talk about times a changin'. Today he would have been shot down by a few Tomcats (I don't know planes, so spare me the corrections!) before he ever got close to M&T!




  4. #64
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,373
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Anyone remember the 1977 season?

    You mean these F-15s? LOL

    http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

    Top 10 fastest planes in world. Tomcat #10.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCijLjUbuEY


    Today's stadiums are protected by stinger missiles-lol.

    I was at the Ravens PO game in Miami a few years ago and they had swat teams all over the stadium.

    You didn't see them til after the game but they were there.

    Got my pic taken with some after the game.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 12-18-2012 at 11:35 PM.
    UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU.




  5. #65

    Re: Anyone remember the 1977 season?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    This year is very familiar. Both teams started out hot, 2nd best record in AFC then teams tanked down the stretch with the Colts/Patriots playing the finale for the playoff birth. Could happen again @ Cincy if they dont beat NYG. One of the most amazing, thrilling seasons I can ever remember. Biggest comeback in the finale to pull out comeback against NE, down HUGE in the 2nd half, fans stormed the feild and tore down the goalposts. Then the Ghost to the post 2OT loss in playoffs to Oakland. It was ultimately the
    downfall of Ted Marchibroda after winning 3 straight division crowns in his first 3 years. But, 78, Jones got hurt and players sold an traded off and got old, that was the end. In that year, both pivotal games where vs Denver for playoff seeding. Bert got picked for a pick six late as the Colts where driving late for a go ahead TD by Tom Jackson. Team looked like it would never recover. Then lost to Lions on a blocked punt with 10 seconds remaing in the flukiest loss ever, somewhat similar to the Redskin game last week. Doubt, many remember. Maybe I'm to old for this forum.
    you bring a huge memory and question back to me ever since about that detroit game. i remember chuck thompson saying that detroit put all 11 guys on scrimmage line and of course this led to a numerical mismatch, and of course it worked. i have always wondered why teams never do this when its desperation time and punt is coming and a change of possession,but not enough time, or very little. thanks to whoever could help me with that.




  6. #66

    Re: Anyone remember the 1977 season?

    The Ghost to the Post game was played on Christmas Eve as the early game, and i believe the temp at kick off was about 73 degrees.




  7. #67
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,373
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Anyone remember the 1977 season?

    Quote Originally Posted by scottie b View Post
    you bring a huge memory and question back to me ever since about that detroit game. i remember chuck thompson saying that detroit put all 11 guys on scrimmage line and of course this led to a numerical mismatch, and of course it worked. i have always wondered why teams never do this when its desperation time and punt is coming and a change of possession,but not enough time, or very little. thanks to whoever could help me with that.
    I dont' remember that Thompson quote and I never saw an 11 man line. Someone like Joe might panic but guys like Namath, Brady and the Mannings would score really fast with their quick releases.

    I even remember Dilfer throwing a very short and quick 3 yd pass to Shannan Sharpe on a post pattern during the SB run and he ran 80 yds for a TD. Doesn't take long to beat it.
    UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU.




  8. #68
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,373
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Anyone remember the 1977 season?

    Quote Originally Posted by sandiegosean View Post
    The Ghost to the Post game was played on Christmas Eve as the early game, and i believe the temp at kick off was about 73 degrees.
    Yea, you're right. That's why I wasn't at that game, it was on Christmas Eve. I never went anywhere except to go with my dad down to the Lexington Market to get the coconut for the coconut cake and syder - a ritual but we listened to it all the way down and back to Harford County.

    Dad always said unless you're in the war fighting you'd better be home for Christmas. I always was.
    UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU.




  9. #69

    Re: Anyone remember the 1977 season?

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    I dont' remember that Thompson quote and I never saw an 11 man line. Someone like Joe might panic but guys like Namath, Brady and the Mannings would score really fast with their quick releases.

    I even remember Dilfer throwing a very short and quick 3 yd pass to Shannan Sharpe on a post pattern during the SB run and he ran 80 yds for a TD. Doesn't take long to beat it.
    i mean 11 man front on a punt, not a 3 down play.




  10. #70

    Re: Anyone remember the 1977 season?

    Quote Originally Posted by ed from Bel Air View Post
    I think so . We were winning most of that game. Elway was awful. His Father could not believe all the booing. Elway remembered that game on TV years later saying he could not believe how pissed off Baltimore was at him. Tried to say he had nothing against BMore, just did not want to play for Irsay (or Kush). I do remember and old geyser back up QB pulling it out at the end. I do think it was either Kubiak (or maybe Craig Morton).
    the colts actually won that game on a blocked field goal. last game i ever attended w my dad. i remember vividly because it had came down to that last denver drive and my dad says "sorry son, we played a tough game, but denver's going to win(on the field goal), so lets get an early start on the traffic", and all my protesting and premonitions of us blocking the kick didnt sway him. so when we get out to 33rd st, we r the only people out there except for a guy selling banners from an old cart people would roll groceries home in w a radio hanging from the side. all of a sudden a HUGE roar comes from the stadium and i hear from the radio that we blocked the kick and my father heard my complaints about leaving early all the way home....7-6 i believe the score was.




  11. #71

    Re: Anyone remember the 1977 season?

    Quote Originally Posted by scottie b View Post
    the colts actually won that game on a blocked field goal. last game i ever attended w my dad. i remember vividly because it had came down to that last denver drive and my dad says "sorry son, we played a tough game, but denver's going to win(on the field goal), so lets get an early start on the traffic", and all my protesting and premonitions of us blocking the kick didnt sway him. so when we get out to 33rd st, we r the only people out there except for a guy selling banners from an old cart people would roll groceries home in w a radio hanging from the side. all of a sudden a HUGE roar comes from the stadium and i hear from the radio that we blocked the kick and my father heard my complaints about leaving early all the way home....7-6 i believe the score was.
    i was wrong...what game am i thinking about?




  12. #72

    Re: Anyone remember the 1977 season?

    Quote Originally Posted by sandiegosean View Post
    The Ghost to the Post game was played on Christmas Eve as the early game, and i believe the temp at kick off was about 73 degrees.
    We hosted our Family Christmas party after the game and it was a bit of a downer with how the game played out. Great game just not the finish I wanted!




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland