Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 23

Thread: JJ or PK?

  1. #1

    JJ or PK?



    Who would you rather have this year? Johnson or Kruger? I know what the answer would have been after the first few games but on the season as a whole, who?




  2. #2

    Re: JJ or PK?

    Knowing how badly we've struggled to rush the passer this year on the whole, the answer is clearly Kruger. We haven't really struggled to set the edge this year no matter who was in at OLB, although Upshaw is particularly adept in that respect. Everybody but Kruger OTOH has been inconsistent at best in pass rush.

    Kruger is at this point unquestionably our best pass rusher and one of our best defensive players. He's earned himself a lot of money this year, and it will be depressing to watch him probably leave this offseason to chase big bucks.




  3. #3

    Re: JJ or PK?

    If the Ravens didn't have to deal with the salary cap implications of signing a veteran player to a multi-year contract, it would have been JJ.

    There was no sense in giving him that type of deal with Kruger waiting in the wings.




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    13,049
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: JJ or PK?

    For this year it would be JJ. For the long term if the money was equal I'd go with Kruger.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  5. #5

    Re: JJ or PK?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    If the Ravens didn't have to deal with the salary cap implications of signing a veteran player to a multi-year contract, it would have been JJ.

    There was no sense in giving him that type of deal with Kruger waiting in the wings.
    Agree with the above, but you raise a good point: who is "waiting in the wings" behind Kruger? Ideas anyone?




  6. #6

    Re: JJ or PK?

    Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    Agree with the above, but you raise a good point: who is "waiting in the wings" behind Kruger? Ideas anyone?
    Upshaw, Hamilton, McAdoo.
    In that order.

    We also might draft/sign somebody though with our cap being tight, if we sign someone, they're going to come real cheap.




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,317

    Re: JJ or PK?

    Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    Upshaw, Hamilton, McAdoo.
    In that order.

    We also might draft/sign somebody though with our cap being tight, if we sign someone, they're going to come real cheap.
    I like the kid from UCLA, Barr (I think) might be a bit of a reach in the late first but not much. Hopefully we find a way to pay Kruger (can't believe I just said that).
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    962

    Re: JJ or PK?

    I actually think the biggest problem started in the trenches.
    Losing Cory Redding, to me, hurt our defense tremendously.
    We are just now finding a way to really fill that spot.
    But I believe that was a big part of the defense not being able to stop the run.
    With Redding and Ngata, that left whoever played nose/DT, to usually just hold their ground against one blocker.
    Well, Redding left, no one stepped up and JJ was not behind him.
    But, as we saw, if teams double on Ngata and were able to single up on the other Dlinemen, and not just block, but actually push them back INTO the linebackers...then it doesn't matter who is playing linebacker.
    You can't make a tackle if you own 340+ teammate is backing into you followed by another 310+ pound body pushing him, and a free offensive lineman coming at you and maybe a fullback and then the ballcarrier. Forget about it.

    Because our Dline is playing better, our outside backers ARE able to do their job better which is set the edge...and then get after the quarterback. It has been a season long adjustment of personnel and coaching.
    I am really happy with the play of Upshaw. He seems to learn and get better every week.
    And he tackles with authority. At times, he has simply knocked/lifted runners off their feet, especially pursuing down the line of scrimmage after taking care of his responsibility. I still believe he is in that Woodley mold and he still has alot of upside.




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    26,365
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: JJ or PK?

    I think they moved on from JJ at the right time. He hasn't been able to do much of anything in San Diego. Wouldn't be surprised to see JJ on the open market again after this year.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,174
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: JJ or PK?

    JJ hasn't done much in SD this year, while Kruger is the teams leader in sacks. This is not a debate IMO, I'd take Kruger over JJ any day this year. Our run defense off the edges haven't been the issue, it's been through the middle because our nose tackles are terrible this year.

    Kruger hasn't been great as a run defender, but as everyone is always harping on about, it's a passing league now, pass rushers are at a premium and certainly valued more than run defending specialists.

    Had Suggs been healthy this year and played even close to what he did last year, Kruger may have had even more sacks, possibly in the 10-12 range, and probably would have looked like a pro bowl level player.




  11. #11

    Re: JJ or PK?

    JJ had to go, he was too old and had frequent shoulder problems and SD paid way to much for him. Kruger is faster, stronger and has more upside. What hurt the Ravens DLine was the nagging injuries to Ngata and McPhee then not having a 100% Suggs doesnt help. Cody is a bust and Kemo is bad. Line has been better since Jones is getting more reps. Dline if they keep Kruger will be good. To bad McBean got hurt, would have been nice to see what he could of done. Tyson hasnt looked that bad. But Cody and Kemo really stink it up.




  12. #12

    Re: JJ or PK?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    JJ had to go, he was too old and had frequent shoulder problems and SD paid way to much for him. Kruger is faster, stronger and has more upside. What hurt the Ravens DLine was the nagging injuries to Ngata and McPhee then not having a 100% Suggs doesnt help. Cody is a bust and Kemo is bad. Line has been better since Jones is getting more reps. Dline if they keep Kruger will be good. To bad McBean got hurt, would have been nice to see what he could of done. Tyson hasnt looked that bad. But Cody and Kemo really stink it up.
    Upshaw is really JJ's replacement, has shown flashes and looks to be a solid player in the future. Not an a pass rusher but solid and pretty high football IQ. Upshaw had a injury this year that slowed his learning curve a bit.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland