Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354 LastLast
Results 625 to 636 of 642
  1. #625

    Re: Game Thread -- Ravens @ Bengals (Pseudo Preseason Edition)



    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Lol at the idea that missing the last 3/4s of a meaningless game makes our starters "rusty."

    Some people just need to be miserable to feel good.

    I'm in DC tonight with my inlaws (Skins fans). THEY understand what a gift making the playoffs is and are threw the roof at the mere possibility. Meanwhile we had a chance to rest our injured and protect out starters because we sewed up a spot last week and no matter which choice we made, half the board was prepared to piss and moan that it was idiotic.
    6 of 22 starters were INACTIVE today and most of them didn't practice or were limited all of this past week. Say what you will, but historically teams that have rested starters often come out flat and looking rusty.

    I know you don't like hearing this, but sometimes being realistic and calling it like you see it means you can't predict all the best things in the world for your team. Go back and read my posts, I'm not the kind of guy who simply hates on his team non stop.

    I'm both appreciative that we're making the playoffs and not optimistic about our chances of doing anything while there. Is that so incomprehensible to you?




  2. #626
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    8,463
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Game Thread -- Ravens @ Bengals (Pseudo Preseason Edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    6 of 22 starters were INACTIVE today and most of them didn't practice or were limited all of this past week. Say what you will, but historically teams that have rested starters often come out flat and looking rusty.

    I know you don't like hearing this, but sometimes being realistic and calling it like you see it means you can't predict all the best things in the world for your team. Go back and read my posts, I'm not the kind of guy who simply hates on his team non stop.

    I'm both appreciative that we're making the playoffs and not optimistic about our chances of doing anything while there. Is that so incomprehensible to you?
    How do you explain Harbaugh's very good record after bye weeks? How come the Ravens aren't rusty after bye weeks?




  3. #627
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,055
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Game Thread -- Ravens @ Bengals (Pseudo Preseason Edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    6 of 22 starters were INACTIVE today and most of them didn't practice or were limited all of this past week. Say what you will, but historically teams that have rested starters often come out flat and looking rusty.

    I know you don't like hearing this, but sometimes being realistic and calling it like you see it means you can't predict all the best things in the world for your team. Go back and read my posts, I'm not the kind of guy who simply hates on his team non stop.

    I'm both appreciative that we're making the playoffs and not optimistic about our chances of doing anything while there. Is that so incomprehensible to you?
    I just can't see Indi coming into M and T and winning at all, I wouldn't put any stock into this game.




  4. #628
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Clarksburg, MD
    Posts
    2,283
    This board is not happy unless it has something to worry about... I just don't see the huge concern the rest was truly needed for the folks who played little to no time today...

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2




  5. #629
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina
    Posts
    4,221
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Game Thread -- Ravens @ Bengals (Pseudo Preseason Edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    How about getting a rested Yanda, Ngata, Ray Lewis, Suggs, etc... Does that inspire confidence?
    You say rested, I say rusty.




  6. #630
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wilmington, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,273
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Game Thread -- Ravens @ Bengals (Pseudo Preseason Edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    How do you explain Harbaugh's very good record after bye weeks? How come the Ravens aren't rusty after bye weeks?
    Exactly. By his logic, the 1 and 2 seeds are at a disadvantage by getting first round playoff byes. They would get "rusty"
    No one likes us, and we don't care.




  7. #631
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pikesville
    Posts
    3,981
    Harbs is undefeated after a bye. Amazing considering all the rust.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron




  8. #632

    Re: Game Thread -- Ravens @ Bengals (Pseudo Preseason Edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Harbs is undefeated after a bye. Amazing considering all the rust.
    We were also undefeated at home for 15 games. We hadn't lost 2 games in a row in the Harbaugh Era. So much for those streaks. I actually agree with your points, but I'm getting tired of hearing these pointless statistics. These streaks can end at any time.




  9. #633

    Re: Game Thread -- Ravens @ Bengals (Pseudo Preseason Edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Exactly. By his logic, the 1 and 2 seeds are at a disadvantage by getting first round playoff byes. They would get "rusty"
    Credible arguments have been made in the past that the bye IS actually a disadvantage. Case in point the Chargers in 2009--they came out and looked absolutely lost after having a week off. The Jets knocked them off in their house en route to the AFCCG.

    The difference between rest and rustiness is complicated and dictated by the character of your team. The Ravens do have a good record after bye weeks, and that's encouraging. Hey, I would love to be wrong on this one and maybe I am. It just seems that given the streaky nature of this team THIS YEAR, it might have been better to go in on a big win like the Giants did last year and the Packers the year before that. Both teams were similarly streaky/"Jekyll and Hyde"




  10. #634
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,055
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Game Thread -- Ravens @ Bengals (Pseudo Preseason Edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Credible arguments have been made in the past that the bye IS actually a disadvantage. Case in point the Chargers in 2009--they came out and looked absolutely lost after having a week off. The Jets knocked them off in their house en route to the AFCCG.

    The difference between rest and rustiness is complicated and dictated by the character of your team. The Ravens do have a good record after bye weeks, and that's encouraging. Hey, I would love to be wrong on this one and maybe I am. It just seems that given the streaky nature of this team THIS YEAR, it might have been better to go in on a big win like the Giants did last year and the Packers the year before that. Both teams were similarly streaky/"Jekyll and Hyde"
    That argument doesn't hold much water, simply because the Ravens have never lost a game after a bye week or week 1 under Harbaugh.

    Both the Packers and the Giants HAD to win their games to make the play offs.




  11. #635

    Re: Game Thread -- Ravens @ Bengals (Pseudo Preseason Edition)

    It's not the fact they rested players. It's the fact they rested players after losing 3 out of their last 4 games. If the Ravens were on a winning streak and the offense was looking good, I don't think anyone would be complaining about this.

    Hell, if the starting offense was out there for a quarter or so and started moving the ball and THEN got yanked I think most people would be happy with that.

    But the fact is it feels like we are backing into the playoffs on a losing trend. We now have the same record as the Bengals, and a worse record than the Colts. We're only the 4th seed now because we won the division.

    If you feel fine looking at next week, that's ok. But I can't say I do. And no one who holds that opinion should be attacked by other forum posters for it.




  12. #636

    Re: Game Thread -- Ravens @ Bengals (Pseudo Preseason Edition)

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    That argument doesn't hold much water, simply because the Ravens have never lost a game after a bye week or week 1 under Harbaugh.

    Both the Packers and the Giants HAD to win their games to make the play offs.
    And those are good things, but this isn't a game after a bye week or a week 1 game. They didn't have a bye week, they had a week of practice for Cincy and now they have a week of practice for Indy. I'm not sure it's really comparable to the situations you're citing no matter how much they tried to treat this past week like a bye week.

    We don't really have a great point to compare from. The Ravens under Harbaugh have had to play WC weekend 3 out of 4 years in the past, and they NEVER went into that game off a loss in week 17. In fact, they'd won at least 2 straight games 2 out of 3 years.

    The closest situation is 2009, when we came off a fairly underwhelming win at Oakland, but a win on the road is what it is. We had to go on the road again and we spanked New England. Obviously that was on the road and we're at home now, but a 33-14 beat down would be fine with me.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland