Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast
Results 157 to 168 of 202
  1. #157
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Waldorf, MD
    Posts
    1,954

    Re: How we should attack the Patriots



    Quote Originally Posted by Critical Thinking View Post
    Jerod Mayo is perhaps the best MLB in the AFC and starting his 2nd probowl. He is in the top 5 in tackles and has like 4 sacks. Not only that but he can play both ILB and OLB as well. Fellow LB Brandon Spikes can also play both positions, but has animal strength to shed blockers and excels both in pass coverage (great instincts for the ball) and tops against the run. Many experts pick him as the top LB in the league against the run. In college, he also played defensive end. Rookie Dont'a Hightower is a very good young player that's growing, but growing fast. He has 4 sacks, and possesses some good juice on the outside and good in run defense. He too can play and line up at defensive end. His fellow first round pick Chandler Jones was on pace at the beginning of the season for becoming a sack leader until he got hurt. Started out with 3 forced fumbles and seven sacks. Can be a freak that often demands double and even triple teams because of his athleticism and size. He is getting healthier now, and despite not getting sacks all the time, he still creates impactful pressures leading to big plays for others. Opposite end Rob Ninkovich who can also play outside linebacker, looks like Mike Vrabel, and plays better than him it seems because of his big play ability during the most clutch moments. It could be a forced fumble, strip sack, or long sack on a key third down, interception or something to change a game. Not only that but he has been consistent and managed to rack up 9 sacks and 4 forced fumbles on the season. Could have easily made the probowl but did make some all pro teams of many experts. He adds an extra dimension at Linebacker as well as production from the defensive end position. Vince Wilfork is self explanatory and I don't have to go into depth about him. Legendary and impactful.. simple as that. Kyle Love, the other nose tackle is smaller, but quick and choppy and very underrated. Rotation players Jermaine Cunningham, Justin Francis and Trevor Scott are all guys that perform, produce and can all play the linebacker roles.. they share 8 sacks, and 4 forced fumbles between them... So to day that NE's front seven is better than Denver's is definitely not exaggerating, plus defenses aren't judged during the regular season but how you perform in the playoffs when the heat is turned up the highest.. Remember, the only reason Houston stayed in the game was because of those two long kick off returns... other than that the score was 30-13.
    I'm not buying Jerod Mayo as the top MLB/ILB in the AFC, it's ludicrous. He's a good player, no doubt, but I'd take Brian Cushing, Lawrence Timmons, Derrick Johnson, Dqwell Jackson over him. Brandon Spikes is a one-dimensional downhill linebacker, the type of guy you can often get off the heap as an UDFA. We have a guy like that, Ellerbe, and he's playing well and we didn't have to spend a draft pick on him. Hightower is a decent player, but seems like he has a low-ceiling. Chandler Jones is very raw and had most of his success against struggling OLines, he's no Dumvervill or Von Miller. Hell, he struggled against Michael Oher when the Pats played Baltimore in week 3. Against McKinnie, he'll be stone-walled. Rob Ninkovich makes a few plays here and there, but I he's a guy who can be stone-walled by one blocker. The rest of the guys you mentioned are basically third specialists and rotational guys. They're not likely to take over games and dominate. Denver's front seven is nightmarish, with Dumervill, Miller, Wolfe, Bannan, the speedy Woodyard, just a terror. Miller dominated against your tackle Vollmer in the second half of Denver @ New England. You defense beat on an overmatched Texans team with the mental Matt Schaud who is as far from a big game quarter as there is in the NFL, so I'm supposed to believe you guys' are the '85 Bears all of a sudden? Psssh.




  2. #158

    Re: How we should attack the Patriots

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker: M&T Sec 527 View Post
    I was saying the same thing yesterday in a thread about Pats fans' huge sense of entitlement. Put them in the AFC North, and boom 4 W's (Buffalo & Miami) are traded for 3 possible splits (or worse): Pitts., Ravens, Cincy. Who's entitled now?
    Is this a joke? Brady is 4-0 vs the Bengals, 6-2 vs the Steelers, and 5-2 vs the Ravens. That's 15-4 against your vaunted AFC North. Not to mention Brady is undefeated against the Browns. You guys are lucky we're not in the AFC North otherwise you might not sniff the playoffs more so than you do now.




  3. #159

    Re: How we should attack the Patriots

    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFan in MD View Post
    Is this a joke? Brady is 4-0 vs the Bengals, 6-2 vs the Steelers, and 5-2 vs the Ravens. That's 15-4 against your vaunted AFC North. Not to mention Brady is undefeated against the Browns. You guys are lucky we're not in the AFC North otherwise you might not sniff the playoffs more so than you do now.
    Great now I'm gonna have to be reminded about that 2010 nightmare in Cleveland




  4. #160

    Re: How we should attack the Patriots

    Quote Originally Posted by Gronkey Kong View Post
    Great now I'm gonna have to be reminded about that 2010 nightmare in Cleveland
    LOL. I forgot about that game. Website I went to only went up to 2010 and I just added the recent games between the other 3 AFC North teams from then on. So Brady is 4-1 against the Browns.

    So he's 19-5 vs the AFC North? That's a pretty good %.




  5. #161
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    College Station, TX
    Posts
    721
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: How we should attack the Patriots

    The Ravens to be physical on defense, have long productive drives on offense, and contain Brady. Easier said than done, but it can be done.




  6. Re: How we should attack the Patriots

    Quote Originally Posted by mgcolby View Post
    There will be a safety over Smith at all times. Also Smith isn't that much faster than Talib and McCourtey is faster than Smith.
    Devin McCourty
    Combine Invite: Yes
    Height: 5106
    Weight: 193

    40 Yrd Dash: 4.38
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.50
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.53
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 16
    Vertical Jump: 36
    Broad Jump: 10'06"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.07
    3-Cone Drill: 6.70
    40 Time Range: 4.38-4.49
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2010&genpos=CB

    Torrey Smith
    Combine Invite: Yes
    Height: 6007
    Weight: 204

    40 Yrd Dash: 4.41
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.50
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.51
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 19
    Vertical Jump: 41
    Broad Jump: 10'06"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.13
    3-Cone Drill: 6.72
    4.26/4.37/4.49 40 range before Combine
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2011&genpos=wr

    Torrey's 40 times seem to be up and down--if we're to believe he can hit the mid 4.2's then he can be faster than McCourty; otherwise their speed is at a virtual tie.

    Where Torrey clearly has the advantage is size, strength, height and vertical leap.

    So, if Joe sees Torrey one on one with McCourty, he can just throw it high enough that Torrey can go up and get it, but too high for McCourty to reach.




  7. #163

    Re: How we should attack the Patriots

    Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    Devin McCourty
    Combine Invite: Yes
    Height: 5106
    Weight: 193

    40 Yrd Dash: 4.38
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.50
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.53
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 16
    Vertical Jump: 36
    Broad Jump: 10'06"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.07
    3-Cone Drill: 6.70
    40 Time Range: 4.38-4.49
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2010&genpos=CB

    Torrey Smith
    Combine Invite: Yes
    Height: 6007
    Weight: 204

    40 Yrd Dash: 4.41
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.50
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.51
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 19
    Vertical Jump: 41
    Broad Jump: 10'06"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.13
    3-Cone Drill: 6.72
    4.26/4.37/4.49 40 range before Combine
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2011&genpos=wr

    Torrey's 40 times seem to be up and down--if we're to believe he can hit the mid 4.2's then he can be faster than McCourty; otherwise their speed is at a virtual tie.

    Where Torrey clearly has the advantage is size, strength, height and vertical leap.

    So, if Joe sees Torrey one on one with McCourty, he can just throw it high enough that Torrey can go up and get it, but too high for McCourty to reach.
    Also Torrey's getting a head start in momentum when he starts a route. Talib has to accelerate at a faster rate to get even due to his starting position and orientation. And even if he could, those few fractions of a second where he's a step behind is enough to complete a pass.

    Not to mention combine speeds and speeds in pads are very different.




  8. #164
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    8,460
    Blog Entries
    4
    40 times don't mean anything. There is a reason why Torrey averages over 20 ypc against the pats.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk




  9. #165

    Re: How we should attack the Patriots

    McCourty will provide help for Talib on the deep post to Smith. He won't make the same error the den saftey did at the end of the first half - he'll get there in time to grab that throw instead of Smith.




  10. #166
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Waldorf, MD
    Posts
    1,954

    Re: How we should attack the Patriots

    Quote Originally Posted by tailgater View Post
    McCourty will provide help for Talib on the deep post to Smith. He won't make the same error the den saftey did at the end of the first half - he'll get there in time to grab that throw instead of Smith.
    You don't know what he'll do, he might bite on the tight end on a seam route. Giving Torrey the inside position on the post. You just never know.




  11. #167
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    13,472
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: How we should attack the Patriots

    I'm more worried about the short stuff in the middle of the field. Ray's the man, but his side to side ability is not what it used to be. I think they'll test it
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  12. #168

    Re: How we should attack the Patriots

    Throw deep every single time....Smith will have 700 yards and 8 TDs....




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland