Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 202
  1. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    8,381
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: How we should attack the Patriots



    Quote Originally Posted by Gronkey Kong View Post
    The thing about it this time is that we have the running game to take advantage of having 6 DBs on the field, and I feel that the Pats O-line will do better this year protecting him against a 3 man rush. It takes a full team effort across every level on defense to be able to do what the Jets did in 2010, I'm not sure Baltimore has the personnel to match what they did.
    The running game is my number 1 concern about the Patriots. They have been very good running the ball.





  2. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    8,381
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: How we should attack the Patriots

    Quote Originally Posted by Gronkey Kong View Post
    The thing about it this time is that we have the running game to take advantage of having 6 DBs on the field, and I feel that the Pats O-line will do better this year protecting him against a 3 man rush. It takes a full team effort across every level on defense to be able to do what the Jets did in 2010, I'm not sure Baltimore has the personnel to match what they did.
    The running game is my number 1 concern about the Patriots. They have been very good running the ball.




  3. #27

    Re: How we should attack the Patriots

    Yeah, I don't think nickel and dime defenses are the way to go against the Pats this year. They made a determined decision to work the run this year, and they've done a good job of it.

    That's Bellichek for you, while the rest of the NFL is blathering about how it's a passing league ad nauseum, he's been emphasizing the run game.

    The 3-4 is the most flexible base defense, but I think the Ravens could get away with a lot of nickel thanks to Pollard. He's a force in the run game.




  4. #28

    Re: How we should attack the Patriots

    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    The running game is my number 1 concern about the Patriots. They have been very good running the ball.
    Defenisvely we have to cover the center of the field. The texans did not and it killed them.

    Offensively Ray Rice and Pierce should touch the ball on most 1st and 2nd downs to keep third downs manageable, keep the DBs honest, and allow the ravens to take a shot every now and then.

    I don't like running up the middle with fatty over there. Would be nice to be able to get the ball on the edges to RR. Pitches, screens and passes into the flat...




  5. #29

    Re: How we should attack the Patriots

    The thing about it this time is that we have the running game to take advantage of having 6 DBs on the field, and I feel that the Pats O-line will do better this year protecting him against a 3 man rush.

    Bingo. The Texans also tried to use 6 DBs in spots and failed miserably. The Pats gashed those looks. Unless Pollard or Ihedibo is used more in the box with a three-safety look, this type of approach against a much better NE rushing attack might be tough to employ.

    I think the Ravens actually did a nice of containing NE in the first game this season. "Contain" being the operative word. It'll be extremely difficult to slow them down as they did a year ago in the AFCC. I just don't see that happening. It'll be up to the offense to play at an even higher level than they did in that game.

    I would also expect John to give a call to little brother and pick his brain about San Fran's approach. The 49ers did a great job of being physical, tackling, and disrputing a lot of NE's timing. That was probably the toughest offensive game they had during this stretch without Gronk.




  6. #30

    Re: How we should attack the Patriots

    Quote Originally Posted by bensmotorcyclehelmt View Post
    Defenisvely we have to cover the center of the field. The texans did not and it killed them.

    Offensively Ray Rice and Pierce should touch the ball on most 1st and 2nd downs to keep third downs manageable, keep the DBs honest, and allow the ravens to take a shot every now and then.

    I don't like running up the middle with fatty over there. Would be nice to be able to get the ball on the edges to RR. Pitches, screens and passes into the flat...
    That, and bang the fuck out of Welker when he comes off the line, especially when he lines up ON the line of scrimmage. Several times I saw the Texan DB's look like they were going to bump him, only to release as soon as the ball was snapped. That one big catch down the sideline- with offensive PI by Welker un-flagged- was one such instance. Punch him hard and break up that timing he has with Brady.




  7. #31

    Re: How we should attack the Patriots

    Quote Originally Posted by bensmotorcyclehelmt View Post
    Defenisvely we have to cover the center of the field. The texans did not and it killed them.

    Offensively Ray Rice and Pierce should touch the ball on most 1st and 2nd downs to keep third downs manageable, keep the DBs honest, and allow the ravens to take a shot every now and then.

    I don't like running up the middle with fatty over there. Would be nice to be able to get the ball on the edges to RR. Pitches, screens and passes into the flat...
    They are going to run at War Daddy a l'l......take turns doubling Fatty with Yanda and Osemele.
    Way Down South in New Orleans




  8. #32

    Re: How we should attack the Patriots

    Depending on the defense the Pats come out with, you need to utilize the TE's to get the LB's to have to respect the middle. Sending the WR's on deep routes will also force them to drop back. The you could throw in the run
    Now if the Pats go 5 DB's, lots of off tackle runs would be on the menu. I would employ a lot of Pierce if healthy. Then go for some nice play action deep throws.

    On D, this is one team that the hybrid defense works well against. The Pats destroyed Houston twice because Brady was able to read what the defense was, and he is so good, he could just pick them apart. I would try to disguise the D as best I could.
    The D must also tackle well, because the Pats seem to like to turn short-medium plays into longer plays with runs after catch.




  9. #33

    Re: How we should attack the Patriots

    Quote Originally Posted by Gronkey Kong View Post
    The thing about it this time is that we have the running game to take advantage of having 6 DBs on the field, and I feel that the Pats O-line will do better this year protecting him against a 3 man rush. It takes a full team effort across every level on defense to be able to do what the Jets did in 2010, I'm not sure Baltimore has the personnel to match what they did.
    I think they do, plus NE doesnt have the playmakers they did in 2010. Losing Gronk is going to hurt alot in this game. They still dont have a speed threat at WR. Ravens Safeties can play closer to the line as well. Asa Jackson is now back and they can use an extra S in Considine or Idehigbo on certain packages. These teams know each other pretty well. It will be close as this game usually is with NE. Ravens are peaking at the right time on both sides of the ball.




  10. #34

    Re: How we should attack the Patriots

    Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Depending on the defense the Pats come out with, you need to utilize the TE's to get the LB's to have to respect the middle. Sending the WR's on deep routes will also force them to drop back. The you could throw in the run
    Now if the Pats go 5 DB's, lots of off tackle runs would be on the menu. I would employ a lot of Pierce if healthy. Then go for some nice play action deep throws.

    On D, this is one team that the hybrid defense works well against. The Pats destroyed Houston twice because Brady was able to read what the defense was, and he is so good, he could just pick them apart. I would try to disguise the D as best I could.
    The D must also tackle well, because the Pats seem to like to turn short-medium plays into longer plays with runs after catch.
    Houston's defense has been terrible past 6-7 games, losing Cushing and getting predictable has killed them. Houston' secondary has been bad and banged up and has been exposed. They have Watt, but not much else. Phillips defenses are always good his first year, then tale off after that. You cant blitz every 3rd down like Houston did Sunday.




  11. #35

    Re: How we should attack the Patriots

    The Offense should be just like the first game, and like against Denver. Flacco had a 117 QBR last game, and a 112 or something like that in the playoff game. Past 3 games he's had close to 1000 yards against them. Air it out and light up their suspect secondary. Bombs away to set up the run game and underneath stuff. Just like we did against Denver.

    As for the D. We gotta be able to hit Brady early and often and with just bringing our front 4. Kruger and Sizzle are gonna need to be smacking at his arms all game and Ngata and McPhee and Jones are gonna have to be in his face knocking him down. Let them use their run game, it won't matter too much. Brandon Llyod doesn't scare anyone leave hm one on one all game. Double up Welker all game, blanket him with press coverage and over the top help. Leave Jimmy on Hernandez. Let Pollard roam and make big hits if they try the middle of the field. Take a 15 yard penalty if needed just to get the point across. Make them start alligator arming those crossing routes.




  12. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Dundalk via. Western MA
    Posts
    579
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: How we should attack the Patriots

    Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    The Offense should be just like the first game, and like against Denver. Flacco had a 117 QBR last game, and a 112 or something like that in the playoff game. Past 3 games he's had close to 1000 yards against them. Air it out and light up their suspect secondary. Bombs away to set up the run game and underneath stuff. Just like we did against Denver.

    As for the D. We gotta be able to hit Brady early and often and with just bringing our front 4. Kruger and Sizzle are gonna need to be smacking at his arms all game and Ngata and McPhee and Jones are gonna have to be in his face knocking him down. Let them use their run game, it won't matter too much. Brandon Llyod doesn't scare anyone leave hm one on one all game. Double up Welker all game, blanket him with press coverage and over the top help. Leave Jimmy on Hernandez. Let Pollard roam and make big hits if they try the middle of the field. Take a 15 yard penalty if needed just to get the point across. Make them start alligator arming those crossing routes.
    No doubt Pees has improved D schemes last month or so, but Pees vs. Brady to me is the key. Pees has too many times allowed too many QB's time as he dropped the D back; do that to Brady and the Raven's in for a long day. Key to this game is to "legally" hit, first Brady then the receivers. I don't so much see this as a D chess game but swarm and not give Brady time and as against the Giants and Seattle this year a frustrated Brady isn't Brady.
    Pees is the key to this game IMHO or Brady will move in 10 yard chunks wearing down the D and getting 7 or at least 3 consistently.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland