Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 32
  1. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    24,270
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: How Jim Caldwell Elevated Joe Flacco to Elite Status and Saved Our Season



    Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    Because he is the type of coach who has a system. He is going to force the player to fit his system, not taylor his system to fit the strengths of the players available. That is the same thing Gary Williams used to do with Maryland basketball. Square peg round hole...
    Yea, but that doesn't mean that Mason was a great fit for Cam's offense.

    If you recall, most of Mason's routes were out-routes and come-back routes.

    It is just strange, because it really seemed like Cam's route tree changed when different receivers were in the fold.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  2. #14

    Re: How Jim Caldwell Elevated Joe Flacco to Elite Status and Saved Our Season

    I can sure remember games in the early Cameron years with Boldin, where he was supposed to be the "number 1 " receiver and he would be targeted 3 times in a game. If you are going to bring a guy in who averages 80 catches a year and then throw him he ball only 3-5 times a game (and pay him all that money), you are certainly not utilizing the available talent to the best of it's strengths.




  3. #15

    Re: How Jim Caldwell Elevated Joe Flacco to Elite Status and Saved Our Season

    Cam Cameron probably feels like a real dumb ass these days.

    It hurts his rep big time for the league to see our guys thrive as soon as he gets canned.

    I only wished they'd done it sooner...we could be at our 3rd or 4th SB instead of our 2nd.




  4. #16

    Re: How Jim Caldwell Elevated Joe Flacco to Elite Status and Saved Our Season

    I like how Flacco is now willing to throw the ball up if Boldin is covered one on one, and let him out physical the db for the ball. I hardly ever saw that in the Cameron offense.

    I can't believe we stuck by Cameron for so long. He had to have been one of the worse offensive coordinators in the league. There is no chance any intelligent franchise hires him, except maybe as a running backs coach.




  5. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Balmer Merlin Hon
    Posts
    2,658
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: How Jim Caldwell Elevated Joe Flacco to Elite Status and Saved Our Season

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I wonder why Cam seemed to know how to use Mason...but not Boldin?
    Cam trusted Joe to throw the outs to a WR with reliable hands who ran precise routes. Partly IMO because Flacco's arm strength made those throws very low-risk. (I remember one sideline pass in the 2008 Cowboys game where the Dallas DB broke on the ball thinking he had an easy pick-6 & it rocketed right past him into Mason's hands.) He didn't trust him to throw over the middle, mainly (IMO) because of a couple of high-profile INTs where Joe didn't seem to see the coverage (I remember when they were driving for the go-ahead score vs the Colts in 2009 & Flacco tries to force the ball to Rice with no less than 3 Colts right in front of #27, & Brackett picked it).

    Cam never trusted Joe. You could make the case that in years past (1) the offense was terrified of blowing games in which the defense had played well enough to win, & (2) he never knew when Good Joe would morph into Bad Joe & do precisely that. That 11/09 loss to the Colts is a classic example--the D picks Manning 3 times but the O can't get into the EZ & comes up short in crunch time with that incomprehensible pick.

    What brought it all to a head this year was the combination of a tough schedule & injuries which made the defense much less reliable. Playing not to lose when on offense was no longer an option; they were going to have to rise or fall with Flacco, but Cam never trusted him enough to really let him loose. Caldwell trusts Joe & makes the adjustments to let him do what he says he can do & wants to do.




  6. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Deep in the bowels of Maryland suburbia
    Posts
    1,675

    Re: How Jim Caldwell Elevated Joe Flacco to Elite Status and Saved Our Season

    Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    Cameron might be the General McClellan of the NFL: great at organizing and setting up a offense (army), but terrible on gameday (the battlefield).
    LOL, I like this. I can just see Cam Cameron as general during Antietam or some such:

    Aide: "General Cameron, the rebels are covering both our flanks, but the middle is wide open for exploitation. We should make an adjustment to our battle plan and attack the middle of the battlefield".

    Cam: "Meh. Adjustments are overrated. Shut up and stick with the plan. Have Colonel Flacco continue to press the flanks at all costs."

    Northern Newspapers next day: "Colonel Flacco's inconsistency and poor execution caused the Union Army to lose it's third straight battle yesterday."




  7. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    13,449
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: How Jim Caldwell Elevated Joe Flacco to Elite Status and Saved Our Season

    Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    I don't think it is halftime adjustments. In the Broncos game they made offensive adjustments that nearly cost them the game. Joe lobbied for them to open up the offense.

    In my opinion there are a couple of things that happened:
    1. Caldwell got Joe moving around. Whether moving the pocket or getting him outside of the pocket. For whatever reason it has really improved Flacco's pocket presence. He steps up better than he ever has.
    2. He made some subtle changes to the routes. Like the TD pass to Torrey to open the Broncos game.
    3. Oline - Playing McKinnie and bringing in Castillo as a consultant. Not sure when that all happened but the line has been much better.
    4. The offense has been most successful when they have spread out the defense and stopped using the fullback.
    I agree with this; subtle but enough to make a difference. And as far as halftime adjustments, it seems more likely that the gameplan called for a conservative (keep it close) first half and wide open passing 2nd half. They went from run, run, punt to pass pass pass.
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  8. #20
    iggyman555 Guest

    Re: How Jim Caldwell Elevated Joe Flacco to Elite Status and Saved Our Season

    Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    LOL, I like this. I can just see Cam Cameron as general during Antietam or some such:

    Aide: "General Cameron, the rebels are covering both our flanks, but the middle is wide open for exploitation. We should make an adjustment to our battle plan and attack the middle of the battlefield".

    Cam: "Meh. Adjustments are overrated. Shut up and stick with the plan. Have Colonel Flacco continue to press the flanks at all costs."

    Northern Newspapers next day: "Colonel Flacco's inconsistency and poor execution caused the Union Army to lose it's third straight battle yesterday."
    lol had to chuckle well done




  9. #21

    Re: How Jim Caldwell Elevated Joe Flacco to Elite Status and Saved Our Season

    Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Cam trusted Joe to throw the outs to a WR with reliable hands who ran precise routes. Partly IMO because Flacco's arm strength made those throws very low-risk. (I remember one sideline pass in the 2008 Cowboys game where the Dallas DB broke on the ball thinking he had an easy pick-6 & it rocketed right past him into Mason's hands.) He didn't trust him to throw over the middle, mainly (IMO) because of a couple of high-profile INTs where Joe didn't seem to see the coverage (I remember when they were driving for the go-ahead score vs the Colts in 2009 & Flacco tries to force the ball to Rice with no less than 3 Colts right in front of #27, & Brackett picked it).

    Cam never trusted Joe. You could make the case that in years past (1) the offense was terrified of blowing games in which the defense had played well enough to win, & (2) he never knew when Good Joe would morph into Bad Joe & do precisely that. That 11/09 loss to the Colts is a classic example--the D picks Manning 3 times but the O can't get into the EZ & comes up short in crunch time with that incomprehensible pick.

    What brought it all to a head this year was the combination of a tough schedule & injuries which made the defense much less reliable. Playing not to lose when on offense was no longer an option; they were going to have to rise or fall with Flacco, but Cam never trusted him enough to really let him loose. Caldwell trusts Joe & makes the adjustments to let him do what he says he can do & wants to do.
    Excellent analysis. The prior offensive inconsistency has to be relegated to several factors: Flacco's inconsistency when he feels pressure due to a porous offensive line, he panics under pressure; Flacco showing poor leadership skills (showing poor time-management skills and taking control of the offense in crucial situations) resultant from Cameron's lack of trust, his iron-clad control, and the OC's inability to analyze defensive vulnerabilities; The poor offensive line play limited Flacco's confidence to move around in the pocket; Flacco had a tendency to hold onto the ball too long and made himself vulnerable to sacks and hits because of a poor offensive line; and a big issue was Cameron not knowing when to adjust to the run game when it became obvious that bad-Flacco was on the field. Cameron stubbornly forced a passing game when it was not working as a result of poor offensive line play and/or Flacco overthrowing or under-throwing open receivers. Flacco's confidence has recently been elevated as a direct result of a better offensive line. Flacco is now moving in the pocket and is getting time to go through progressions and is hitting an open receiver over the middle when another wide receiver (Smith) is double-covered. The rest is history.
    "...but I own his ass!"




  10. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    In a van down by the rivah
    Posts
    757

    Re: How Jim Caldwell Elevated Joe Flacco to Elite Status and Saved Our Season

    Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    LOL, I like this. I can just see Cam Cameron as general during Antietam or some such:

    Aide: "General Cameron, the rebels are covering both our flanks, but the middle is wide open for exploitation. We should make an adjustment to our battle plan and attack the middle of the battlefield".

    Cam: "Meh. Adjustments are overrated. Shut up and stick with the plan. Have Colonel Flacco continue to press the flanks at all costs."

    Northern Newspapers next day: "Colonel Flacco's inconsistency and poor execution caused the Union Army to lose it's third straight battle yesterday."




  11. #23

    Re: How Jim Caldwell Elevated Joe Flacco to Elite Status and Saved Our Season

    Caldwell was very passive in much of the fourth quarter and overtime in Denver, and in the first half in Boston. It was Harbaugh and Flacco who said at halftime Sunday that the offense had to be opened up. Caldwell then did as they suggested. The results were great.
    Last edited by OriAl; 01-23-2013 at 02:01 PM.
    Al




  12. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,297
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: How Jim Caldwell Elevated Joe Flacco to Elite Status and Saved Our Season

    Quote Originally Posted by OriAl View Post
    Caldwell was very passive in much of the fourth quarter and overtime in Denver, and in the first half in Boston. It was Harbaugh and Flacco who said at halftime Sunday that the offense had to be opened up. Caldwell then did as they suggested.

    Listening to your Head Coach and starting QB are very good attributes. Apparently Caldwell is more flexible than Cam, therefore more successful... Bc




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland