Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 72 of 122
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Columbia Maryland
    Posts
    469

    Re: Brendon Ayanbadejo plans to champion same-sex marriage at the Super Bowl



    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    OK!
    This is why i didnt want to get into a theological discussion on here because now i have to explain to you that u have taken the scriptures out of context to support your argument. simply put the Bible is divided into two parts. The first part gives a pretext to the second part but most of the laws in it no longer apply. both of the books you reference come from the first part
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]





  2. #62
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    6,879

    Re: Brendon Ayanbadejo plans to champion same-sex marriage at the Super Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    How is that ironic?

    I don't care what his other beliefs are. He's told us what his belief is about this issue and why he believes it.

    You're taking sides. Have the cajones to admit it.
    I bolded the wrong part, the " I know what I need to know" was the portion that got me. 20 post in to this thing with nothing of relevance really said you labeled (no one specifically) bigots and hypocrites. Why would you do that unless you were being a
    Bigot : a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance
    So no, I'm not taking sides in the debate of gay marriage (we've had this discussion numerous times, look it up if you care where I stand). I was just pointing out that calling someone a bigot and a hypocrite is funny... you know pot kettle thingy.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  3. #63
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    19,948

    Re: Brendon Ayanbadejo plans to champion same-sex marriage at the Super Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by Everything_Ravens View Post
    This is why i didnt want to get into a theological discussion on here because now i have to explain to you that u have taken the scriptures out of context to support your argument. simply put the Bible is divided into two parts. The first part gives a pretext to the second part but most of the laws in it no longer apply. both of the books you reference come from the first part
    Right. Choose which parts suit you, ignore the others. I get that.

    Thanks for making my point.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  4. #64
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    6,879

    Re: Brendon Ayanbadejo plans to champion same-sex marriage at the Super Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Not that anyone has done it (yet), but folks on the pro-gay side have been just as bigoted towards a persons particular faith as the anti-gay crowd has been towards homosexuality.

    There's a double standard and I believe that's what NC was hinting at.
    Exactly. See post #22
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  5. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pikesville
    Posts
    3,701

    Re: Brendon Ayanbadejo plans to champion same-sex marriage at the Super Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Not that anyone has done it (yet), but folks on the pro-gay side have been just as bigoted towards a persons particular faith as the anti-gay crowd has been towards homosexuality.

    There's a double standard and I believe that's what NC was hinting at.
    No one on the pro gay side supports denying anyone of faith of their right to marry.

    Nor does anyone believe that an inherent, unchangeable part of people of faith means that they deserve to lose any of their rights, save the right to impose their faith on people who don't believe or want it, which if one is to believe the Constitution, they never should have had in the first place.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron




  6. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pikesville
    Posts
    3,701

    Re: Brendon Ayanbadejo plans to champion same-sex marriage at the Super Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Exactly. See post #22
    In post 22 festivus expresses a distaste for something, but follows with an admission that they have the right to do it. If that was all gay people were dealing with, then this wouldn't be an issue.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron




  7. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    19,948

    Re: Brendon Ayanbadejo plans to champion same-sex marriage at the Super Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    No one on the pro gay side supports denying anyone of faith of their right to marry.
    I never argued that anyone was being denied the right. But there's a vocal contingent on the pro-gay side that mocks, ridicules and otherwise denigrates all things religion. I know plenty of people of faith who are pro-gay yet they are screamed down from those on the pro-gay side who have decided to attack the entire institution of religion.

    Hence the double standard NC was hinting at.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  8. #68
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pikesville
    Posts
    3,701

    Re: Brendon Ayanbadejo plans to champion same-sex marriage at the Super Bowl

    Edit. Not worth going down this sidetrack. Agree to disagree.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron




  9. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Columbia Maryland
    Posts
    469

    Re: Brendon Ayanbadejo plans to champion same-sex marriage at the Super Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Right. Choose which parts suit you, ignore the others. I get that.

    Thanks for making my point.
    no, no! First you need to realize that i wasn't "owned" as your previous post would suggest.

    its not about picking what you want its what the word says. The second part of the Bible (The New Testament) abolishes the laws of old.

    Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; to make in himself of two one new man, so making peace; Ephesian 2:15

    with respect to you, dont just argue with me for the sake of your pride or argument sake if you already know that you don't know what your talking about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]




  10. #70

    Re: Brendon Ayanbadejo plans to champion same-sex marriage at the Super Bowl

    You know, I really don't care one-way-or-another about gay marriage itself. And I am not getting involved in this lovely and riveting conversation.

    However, I have an issue with using the Super Bowl as a place to champion a political social cause. Especially one that, like it or not, can be a source of division and alienation for some. I don't like when people bring politics into my Synagogue (and make it a point to not discuss politics there), and I feel like to me the Super Bowl should be about the football game and the players, and not a place to "champion" gay marriage.




  11. #71
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pikesville
    Posts
    3,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything_Ravens View Post
    its not about picking what you want its what the word says. The second part of the Bible (The New Testament) abolishes the laws of old.
    Remind me then where the prohibition of gay marriage appears in the New Testament?
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron




  12. #72
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Columbia Maryland
    Posts
    469

    Re: Brendon Ayanbadejo plans to champion same-sex marriage at the Super Bowl

    Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    You know, I really don't care one-way-or-another about gay marriage itself. And I am not getting involved in this lovely and riveting conversation.

    However, I have an issue with using the Super Bowl as a place to champion a political social cause. Especially one that, like it or not, can be a source of division and alienation for some. I don't like when people bring politics into my Synagogue (and make it a point to not discuss politics there), and I feel like to me the Super Bowl should be about the football game and the players, and not a place to "champion" gay marriage.
    and this is all that i have said from the jump.

    so while it has been fun watching some of you try to paint me out as a monster, as though i have a special place for gays in my regard of them, i find it funny that none of you have re quoted me as saying that this is something BA should do on his free time
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland