Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
Results 253 to 264 of 587
  1. #253

    Re: Flacco asking for Brees type money



    Yes, Joe IS a smart guy. And that's exactly where the issues already raised about how the Ravens chose to treat him, especially with the whole Zorn/Cameron incident, enters the picture. The Ravens, through their actions, paid huge money to Ngata, Suggs, and they also chose to re-sign Rice. They did not choose to re-sign Flacco. (And please don't start with "they offered him a lot of money", okay? They offered him less than he was worth, and never budged from that spot, betting they'd put the squeeze on him. They bet. And they lost.)

    They also continued to saddle Joe with Cam Cameron, despite the documented difficulties between those two. Joe also can see the Falcons going out and getting Julio Jones, after already having Roddy White, Michael Turner, and Tony Gonzales. What that all adds up to is that as far as building an offense around Joe, it never really happened. The O-line was a joke as well. So because Joe is smart, he's smart enough to look at all of that and take that into account.

    Everyone keeps talking about how much better it will be for Joe here vs elsewhere. That's all well and good, but that's also filled with a certain amount of hype. There are going to be a lot of changes next year. Harbaugh has already come out and said he wants to keep Ed Reed. Ed Reed does not help Joe Flacco, OR the Ravens all that much. A LT DOES. The Ravens are going to have to make some tough choices. And based on their track record, it's not nearly as bright and rosy for Joe as some of you are making it out to be. So the notion that Joe should take less for the privilege of playing for the Ravens, while well intended, really doesn't carry that much weight. And he knows it. Because he's smart. IF some of the other factors had been dealt with differently, then it would be different now. But the Ravens made THEIR choices, now it's Joe's turn.




  2. #254

    Re: Flacco asking for Brees type money

    I love people slamming his agent.

    What is his agent supposed to set the upper limit at? 5th best QB? NO! You set the upper limit to the highest reasonable position. Which is: #1 QB $$. You don;t set your max lower since you will never be able to go higher since the team already knows what you would have settled for.

    They will start at #1 level $, and through negotiation settle somewhere between 1-5 level money I would assume.

    But as an agent you absolutely start off with your initial asking of #1 QB money.

    Give credit to Flacco, the dude stepped his game up at the absolute perfect time, and went on to match Montana with one of the most brilliant QB postseason performances ever.




  3. #255

    Re: Flacco asking for Brees type money

    There is a lot that I could comment on, by I will focus on 2 things:

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    There are going to be a lot of changes next year. Harbaugh has already come out and said he wants to keep Ed Reed. Ed Reed does not help Joe Flacco, OR the Ravens all that much. A LT DOES.
    There are 2 people in the organization that determine who stays and who goes...one is responsible for doing the analysis and making the decision/recommendation. The other signs-off on that decision and cuts the check. Neither of those has the initials of J.H.

    Harbaugh has input into the decision, for sure. But so does Cass, DeCosta, Moriarty and Bisciotti's wife...

    The Ravens are going to have to make some tough choices. And based on their track record, it's not nearly as bright and rosy for Joe as some of you are making it out to be. So the notion that Joe should take less for the privilege of playing for the Ravens, while well intended, really doesn't carry that much weight.
    Name me a single franchise-caliber Raven that the organization has not offered market-value and/or failed to retain that, in hindsight, would come anywhere close to supporting your assertion.

    If anything, one can argue they overpay their home-grown talent.
    Last edited by JohnBKistler; 02-06-2013 at 10:39 AM.




  4. #256
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,087

    Re: Flacco asking for Brees type money

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Yes, Joe IS a smart guy. And that's exactly where the issues already raised about how the Ravens chose to treat him, especially with the whole Zorn/Cameron incident, enters the picture. The Ravens, through their actions, paid huge money to Ngata, Suggs, and they also chose to re-sign Rice. They did not choose to re-sign Flacco. (And please don't start with "they offered him a lot of money", okay? They offered him less than he was worth, and never budged from that spot, betting they'd put the squeeze on him. They bet. And they lost.)

    They also continued to saddle Joe with Cam Cameron, despite the documented difficulties between those two. Joe also can see the Falcons going out and getting Julio Jones, after already having Roddy White, Michael Turner, and Tony Gonzales. What that all adds up to is that as far as building an offense around Joe, it never really happened. The O-line was a joke as well. So because Joe is smart, he's smart enough to look at all of that and take that into account.

    Everyone keeps talking about how much better it will be for Joe here vs elsewhere. That's all well and good, but that's also filled with a certain amount of hype. There are going to be a lot of changes next year. Harbaugh has already come out and said he wants to keep Ed Reed. Ed Reed does not help Joe Flacco, OR the Ravens all that much. A LT DOES. The Ravens are going to have to make some tough choices. And based on their track record, it's not nearly as bright and rosy for Joe as some of you are making it out to be. So the notion that Joe should take less for the privilege of playing for the Ravens, while well intended, really doesn't carry that much weight. And he knows it. Because he's smart. IF some of the other factors had been dealt with differently, then it would be different now. But the Ravens made THEIR choices, now it's Joe's turn.
    Joe Linta, is that you?
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  5. #257

    Re: Flacco asking for Brees type money

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Name me a single franchise-caliber Raven that the organization has not offered market-value and/or failed to retain that, in hindsight, would come anywhere close to supporting your assertion.

    If anything, one can argue they overpay their home-grown talent.
    You're missing the point. I'm talking about the prospect of building the team around Joe, not signing or not signing a single franchise caliber Raven. And part of the reason for that is exactly that they HAVE overpaid their blue chip players. As a result, they can't NOW do what needs to be done to really put a top tier cast around Joe. You've basically just made my point for me.




  6. #258

    Re: Flacco asking for Brees type money

    And people are looking at the past too much. Most of this contract is what can he do in the future? He is entering his prime. His level of in-game intelligence will only increase. Brady and Manning and Brees weren't picking apart opposing defenses in the first 5 years of their career, such skill comes later on. This is where Joe should be heading as well. We all know he has the physical tools. He should only get better and better at reading and diagnosing opposing defenses.

    I keep seeing the "inconsistency" argument too for why he doesn't deserve top $$, but no one mentioning he had Cam Cameron his entire career. We've seen what happens when Cam leaves a QB - they excel. The last part of this season Joe pretty much dominated the competition. If I were his agent, I would say "Did you see what this guy did once Cam left? The future is bright". And I would use that as why he is worth so and so $$ in the future with respect to this new contract.




  7. #259

    Re: Flacco asking for Brees type money

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Joe Linta, is that you?
    Sadly, I was actually anticipating just such a comment. Congrats. You're the big winner.




  8. #260
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,087

    Re: Flacco asking for Brees type money

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Sadly, I was actually anticipating just such a comment. Congrats. You're the big winner.
    Well you gotta admit, you definitely came off as having some inside knowledge and understanding of what's going on with Joe.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  9. #261

    Re: Flacco asking for Brees type money

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    And people are looking at the past too much. Most of this contract is what can he do in the future? He is entering his prime. His level of in-game intelligence will only increase. Brady and Manning and Brees weren't picking apart opposing defenses in the first 5 years of their career, such skill comes later on. This is where Joe should be heading as well. We all know he has the physical tools. He should only get better and better at reading and diagnosing opposing defenses.

    I keep seeing the "inconsistency" argument too for why he doesn't deserve top $$, but no one mentioning he had Cam Cameron his entire career. We've seen what happens when Cam leaves a QB - they excel. The last part of this season Joe pretty much dominated the competition. If I were his agent, I would say "Did you see what this guy did once Cam left? The future is bright". And I would use that as why he is worth so and so $$ in the future with respect to this new contract.


    (And I for one HAVE made the argument that the inconsistency was because of Cameron, not Joe And that Joe accomplished what he did DESPITE Cameron, and a definite lack of true elite talent around him.)




  10. #262

    Re: Flacco asking for Brees type money

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    You're missing the point. I'm talking about the prospect of building the team around Joe, not signing or not signing a single franchise caliber Raven. And part of the reason for that is exactly that they HAVE overpaid their blue chip players. As a result, they can't NOW do what needs to be done to really put a top tier cast around Joe. You've basically just made my point for me.
    Maybe I did miss your point. Sorry.

    I do think there is a reasonable middle ground that gets Flacco the pay-day he's earned, and gives the Ravens room to operate under the cap for the next 5 years. Now, if he gets hurt or totally regresses, the Ravens are screwed, but that is their risk, not Flacco's.

    The Ravens asking for the home-team discount is possible...as is Flacco asking for all the money up-front, cap implications be damned. I don't see either as likely (i hope).




  11. #263

    Re: Flacco asking for Brees type money

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Well you gotta admit, you definitely came off as having some inside knowledge and understanding of what's going on with Joe.
    Inside knowledge? Are you joking? All one has to do is look at the past 5 years. It doesn't take any inside knowledge or any crystal balls; just common sense and an awareness of what's happening on a football field.




  12. #264

    Re: Flacco asking for Brees type money

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Maybe I did miss your point. Sorry.

    I do think there is a reasonable middle ground that gets Flacco the pay-day he's earned, and gives the Ravens room to operate under the cap for the next 5 years. Now, if he gets hurt or totally regresses, the Ravens are screwed, but that is their risk, not Flacco's.

    The Ravens asking for the home-team discount is possible...as is Flacco asking for all the money up-front, cap implications be damned. I don't see either as likely (i hope).
    And as others have already pointed out, Suggs didn't give any discount; Ngata didn't give any discount; why should Joe, huh?




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland