Page 29 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast
Results 337 to 348 of 587
  1. #337

    Re: Ongoing Flacco Contract Negotiations (Merged)



    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I haven't seen or heard too many people criticizing Flacco about these contract negotiations.
    Really? I've seen pages and pages and pages of people posting how Joe better re-consider his demands to be paid more than any other QB because it'll cripple the team's chances of providing him with a good supporting cast and he has no right to do that. That's why I want those people to show me, in dollars and cents, just how 4-5M is going to impact the team's ability to sign the players they need to sign. 4-5M doesn't go very far towards that end. And that's the money difference we're talking about here.

    Now Suggs, Ngata, Rice taking less, and not shelling out precious money for Ed Reed -- THAT'S another matter.




  2. #338

    Re: Ongoing Flacco Contract Negotiations (Merged)

    It would be in Flacco's best interest to work out a deal that allows for the best talent around him while receiving a nice paycheck. Being the highest paid QB for the sake of it it's going to help him in this regard. He'd be better suited to have better players around him, win more because of it, then cash in on endorsement deals.




  3. #339

    Re: Ongoing Flacco Contract Negotiations (Merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post
    It would be in Flacco's best interest to work out a deal that allows for the best talent around him while receiving a nice paycheck. Being the highest paid QB for the sake of it it's going to help him in this regard. He'd be better suited to have better players around him, win more because of it, then cash in on endorsement deals.
    Fine. So please show, in dollars and cents, exactly what you're talking about. Specifically, how much do you think Flacco should take per year vs, let's say, $21M/year. And how that will allow the Ravens to provide him with better players around him.




  4. #340
    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Really? I've seen pages and pages and pages of people posting how Joe better re-consider his demands to be paid more than any other QB because it'll cripple the team's chances of providing him with a good supporting cast and he has no right to do that. That's why I want those people to show me, in dollars and cents, just how 4-5M is going to impact the team's ability to sign the players they need to sign. 4-5M doesn't go very far towards that end. And that's the money difference we're talking about here.

    Now Suggs, Ngata, Rice taking less, and not shelling out precious money for Ed Reed -- THAT'S another matter.
    Not saying that Joe should take less, but what people are talking about is the difference between the cost against the 2013 Cap - $20M for the exclusive franchise tag versus a long term deal, which would have a cap number more in the $6-10M range.

    So, yes, that is a big difference and could mean the difference between keeping guys like Boldin and Jacoby and /or re-signing Ellerbe.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

    Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap




  5. #341
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,154
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Ongoing Flacco Contract Negotiations (Merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Really? I've seen pages and pages and pages of people posting how Joe better re-consider his demands to be paid more than any other QB because it'll cripple the team's chances of providing him with a good supporting cast and he has no right to do that. That's why I want those people to show me, in dollars and cents, just how 4-5M is going to impact the team's ability to sign the players they need to sign. 4-5M doesn't go very far towards that end. And that's the money difference we're talking about here.

    Now Suggs, Ngata, Rice taking less, and not shelling out precious money for Ed Reed -- THAT'S another matter.
    You need to stop reading little bits of peoples posts and understand what they're saying before whining about how everyone thinks Joe is demanding too much. We are saying HOPEFULLY he signs to a long term deal that is fair to one of the best QBs in the NFL, that averages around 18 mill a year, not over 20 mills. I would say that until the cap goes up, NO NFL player deserves that amount (over 20 million a year), not even Joe Montana in his prime would deserve that IMO. We want to avoid using the exclusive tag at all costs (would count towards 20 million cap hit this year) if we want any chance in retaining our other great players, and maybe sign 1 or 2 through FA to improve the roster. Thats all people are saying, maybe there are certain posters who flat out think Joe isn't worth one of the top contracts in football, but the general opinion around here is that Joe will get a big big deal.

    Btw it's not a difference of 5 or 6 mill either, it could be the difference of other 10 million dollars to the cap in 2013, that is a HUGE difference.




  6. #342

    Re: Ongoing Flacco Contract Negotiations (Merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Not saying that Joe should take less, but what people are talking about is the difference between the cost against the 2013 Cap - $20M for the exclusive franchise tag versus a long term deal, which would have a cap number more in the $6-10M range.

    So, yes, that is a big difference and could mean the difference between keeping guys like Boldin and Jacoby and /or re-signing Ellerbe.
    No disagreement there whatsoever. But I'm not talking about tagging vs LTC. I'm talking about people saying that Linta's demand that Joe be the highest paid QB in the league (which, by definition, is a LTC, not a tag) is ill-advised because it will take money away from signing other players. So let's see it. How much money will it take away if he gets more than any other QB? What would that be? $21M/year. Isn't that higher than Manning/Brees/Brady? So again...if he gets that, vs. let's say, $18-19M, which I've read here as being considered more reasonable...how much does that save? And how much will it contribute towards signing other players? Basic math would indicate -- not much. So what are people getting all worked up over?




  7. #343

    Re: Ongoing Flacco Contract Negotiations (Merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    You need to stop reading little bits of peoples posts and understand what they're saying before whining about how everyone thinks Joe is demanding too much. We are saying HOPEFULLY he signs to a long term deal that is fair to one of the best QBs in the NFL, that averages around 18 mill a year, not over 20 mills. I would say that until the cap goes up, NO NFL player deserves that amount (over 20 million a year), not even Joe Montana in his prime would deserve that IMO. We want to avoid using the exclusive tag at all costs (would count towards 20 million cap hit this year) if we want any chance in retaining our other great players, and maybe sign 1 or 2 through FA to improve the roster. Thats all people are saying, maybe there are certain posters who flat out think Joe isn't worth one of the top contracts in football, but the general opinion around here is that Joe will get a big big deal.

    Btw it's not a difference of 5 or 6 mill either, it could be the difference of other 10 million dollars to the cap in 2013, that is a HUGE difference.
    So, as I said...the "big debate", of which you are one of the major "contributors", basically boils down to a HUGE DIFFERENCE of around $3M, going from your generous $18M up to $21M. Wow. That's really gonna buy a lot of supporting cast for Joe, isn't it?

    (And before we get too far into the Twilight Zone...weren't YOU one of the very posters who kept insisting that it made MORE sense to lay the franchise tag on Joe, to make him prove for another year that he was worth a big long term contract? It was idiotic posts like that the put the focus on tagging vs LTC in the first place.)




  8. #344
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,154
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Ongoing Flacco Contract Negotiations (Merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    So, as I said...the "big debate", of which you are one of the major "contributors", basically boils down to a HUGE DIFFERENCE of around $3M, going from your generous $18M up to $21M. Wow. That's really gonna buy a lot of supporting cast for Joe, isn't it?


    Again, you're not reading. I said the EXCLUSIVE franchise tag, it forces you to pay $20 million towards the cap on 2013, if we're forced to use that, it will cripple us. That's why we want a long term deal sorted out, regardless of whether its $18 million a year, or $21 million. A long term deal would get the cap hit down to around 7.5 million in the first year, so its a difference of 12.5 million to the cap, not much of a difference huh? As for the difference between $21M and $18M, yeah it may not seem like a huge difference, but that would count to $21 million over a duration of 7 years if thats the duration of the contract.

    That 3 million a year difference could be the difference between retaining some solid players on our roster.




  9. #345

    Re: Ongoing Flacco Contract Negotiations (Merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post


    Again, you're not reading. I said the EXCLUSIVE franchise tag, it forces you to pay $20 million towards the cap on 2013, if we're forced to use that, it will cripple us. That's why we want a long term deal sorted out, regardless of whether its $18 million a year, or $21 million. A long term deal would get the cap hit down to around 7.5 million in the first year, so its a difference of 12.5 million to the cap, not much of a difference huh? As for the difference between $21M and $18M, yeah it may not seem like a huge difference, but that would count to $21 million over a duration of 7 years if thats the duration of the contract.

    That 3 million a year difference could be the difference between retaining some solid players on our roster.
    So again...smh...you've changed your tune from insisting that the Ravens SHOULD tag Joe (you know...to prove that he's worth a big LTC), to the Ravens SHOULDN'T tag Joe. About faces are fine. No problem there.

    Oh...and the extra $3M that's got you concerned? Just don't re-sign Vonta Leach, get a vet minimum blocking full back if one is still needed, and done. No problemo.




  10. #346
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,154
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Ongoing Flacco Contract Negotiations (Merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    So again...smh...you've changed your tune from insisting that the Ravens SHOULD tag Joe (you know...to prove that he's worth a big LTC), to the Ravens SHOULDN'T tag Joe. About faces are fine. No problem there.

    Oh...and the extra $3M that's got you concerned? Just don't re-sign Vonta Leach, get a vet minimum blocking full back if one is still needed, and done. No problemo.
    When did I EVER SAY, that the Ravens should use the franchise tag on Joe Flacco? I've been rooting for a long term deal even when I thought he wasn't in the top tier of QBs.

    And cutting Leach saves $3 million THIS YEAR, not every year of Flacco's contract.




  11. #347

    Re: Ongoing Flacco Contract Negotiations (Merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    When did I EVER SAY, that the Ravens should use the franchise tag on Joe Flacco? I've been rooting for a long term deal even when I thought he wasn't in the top tier of QBs.

    And cutting Leach saves $3 million THIS YEAR, not every year of Flacco's contract.
    Hmmmm...I would have sworn that you'd said repeatedly that the Ravens would be foolish to give Joe a huge long term contract without at least tagging him for one year to see if he would really earn it. My bad.




  12. #348
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,154
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Ongoing Flacco Contract Negotiations (Merged)

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Hmmmm...I would have sworn that you'd said repeatedly that the Ravens would be foolish to give Joe a huge long term contract without at least tagging him for one year to see if he would really earn it. My bad.
    Well actually I said, we shouldn't give him a 100 million dollar type contract, not a long term deal per se. I said give him a 80 million type contract, that was back in December, and I was a big advocate of not giving him the franchise tag because of the cap hit. Now I know that I'm wrong, I've admitted that, so lets stop bringing up things that I said months ago, we can't all be right about things, that ship has sailed.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland