Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
Results 121 to 132 of 141
  1. #121
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,329

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....



    Quote Originally Posted by dweezil22 View Post
    No, it's not ridiculous at all. First of all, other than the fact that it reflects badly on Joe and Ravens, I'm glad Flacco did this b/c I think it's a useful discussion. A NFL media event is held to pretty much the highest standards of scrutiny and PC-ness (or whatever you want to call it, I don't want to get hung up on that debate). Anyway, I view it as a trickle down effect.
    1) Flacco gets called out for using this term and apologizes (this alone doesn't matter to me)
    which causes
    2) Lots of people who used the term casually realize that it might offend people and stop using it (again, I don't care about this)
    which causes
    3) The term to be less widely used. So when a bully on a school yard wants to pick on a kid, especially a disabled kid (and perhaps my son), and decides to call him a retard, it's not normal or ok anymore, it's offensive. The teachers, and more importantly, the other kids now look down on that bully and make him feel ashamed for doing it, and he's less likely to do it again. (I care deeply about this)

    Replace "retarded" with pejorative use of "gay" and you can have the same discussion about gay kids (with the obvious difference that "gay" has been co-opted into a positive or descriptive meaning as well).

    The N-word is still the greatest example of this. Tons of people that might use the N-word with no malice don't use it, and it causes actual asshole racists to have to either stick out like a sore thumb or keep it to themselves, and the world is a better place for that.
    I think it's ridiculous you don't. Agree to disagree.

    There is almost nothing that offends me, so this is nothing new. Joe said retarded, where's the dead body?
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  2. #122

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Now Ben Stiller's movie where he went out of his way to imitate a person with MS on crutches and had the
    entire theater laughing was offensive and was one of the only movies I ever walked out of.
    I heard even that the Mr. Magoo cartoons have been pulled from TV because they might offend" the "visually challenged" -- whatever the 2013 PC term .
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).




  3. #123
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,627
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

    Those cartoons were nothing compared to Stiller's movie but people laughed at MaGoo being blind and doing silly stuff. PC wasn't around in those days or not like today and disabled people were shoved aside. It's one thing for Joe to make a tongue-in-cheek comment he might even regret but quite another to deliberately get people laughing at someone in the movies and succeeding
    but a few years ago they even made a Magoo movie that was totally stupid.

    As for the N-word, BET uses it more than anyone and Jessie Jackson has pleaded with the black comedians
    to stop it but they continue.

    So to recap the words that can get you banned in this forum:

    C-word - rhymes with punt.
    R-word - retarded
    L-word - libbies
    C-word - connies
    L-word - lefties (unless youre a Mod)
    N-word - (unless you work for BET)
    N-word - nazi (unless youre Pelosi)
    H-word - homo (unless youre a Mod)


    Feel free to add to the list.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 01-29-2013 at 11:24 PM.
    UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU.




  4. #124
    Careful Trap. You are crossing the line

    Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2




  5. #125
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Detroit Michigan
    Posts
    1,906
    Honest question:

    Is calling a homosexual gay still PC?
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

    –Eleanor Roosevelt




  6. #126
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pikesville
    Posts
    4,147
    Already covered. Yes, calling someone who is gay, gay, is fine.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron




  7. #127
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Detroit Michigan
    Posts
    1,906
    Ahh missed it, thanks.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

    –Eleanor Roosevelt




  8. #128

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

    Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    Does anyone have anything BUT their own moral compass by which to judge? I guess it suits everyone well!
    See, that's the rub. We all make judgments about things in life. The PC police, however, seem to think that their judgment is somehow better than everyone else's. I don't have any problem with people having a different opinion than I do. I very much have a problem with their presumption that their opinion is somehow better than anyone else's. Particularly when what they're objecting to is not codified as being illegal. It's no different than a religious person's holier-than-thou attitude about things like premarital sex, gay rights, etc. Someone says something you don't like? Don't listen to them. We don't need your opinion as to why you don't like it. The rest of us are fully capable of deciding what is and is not acceptable.

    Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    Sure, I will, seeing as an ad hominem attack is a logical fallacy and has nothing to do with the validity of my argument that words have power so we should use them mindfully.
    The only power words have is the power that the listener/reader assigns them. If you (the generic you) get offended by something that someone else says, sorry, but that's YOUR fault. It shows an inability to deal with another person's perspective on something, manifested in the fact that YOU allowed the opinion/words of someone else to dictate how you feel. I'm sorry, but that's weak sauce. There's literally not a person on this planet capable of offending me, and the reason is that while I may not agree with another's opinion on a given topic, I am in no way threatened by that opinion. Being offended by something somebody else says is just evidence of a lack of conviction in your own opinion. For instance, I'm as bald as bald can be, and am not at all offended by any bald joke you can come up with. In fact, I'll probably come up with better ones than you do.

    Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    Wrong. Your "level of empathy toward your fellow man" is directly spoken to by your inability to not use words that can and do hurt many people. The fact you believe no one should care what strangers say to strangers speaks directly to a lack of empathy. Calling people "pussies" for the fact they care how their fellow man is spoken to speaks to a lack of empathy.
    Haha. My drill instructor many years ago said it best: sympathy is in the dictionary, right between shit and syphilis. I don't value empathy from other people--first, if I don't know you, I don't trust your empathy. Second, I think honesty is at least 10x more valuable than empathy. IMO, the world benefits much more from honesty than from empathy. Honesty hurts sometimes, but it hurts a lot less than false empathy.

    At the end of the day, the thing that pisses me off about political correctness more than anything else is that it's ridiculous in context of the rest of the world that I've seen. Go spend a few weeks in Afghanistan, where the raping of boys by grown men is a national pastime, corruption does not even exist as a concept, the police are smoking dope 24/7, and a large portion of the people take a dump on the floor in their own mud hut and wipe with their fingers... then come back and tell me that it's really a big deal if somebody uses the word 'retarded' in a certain context. We Americans are SO spoiled rotten...




  9. #129

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

    Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    ...The PC police, however, seem to think that their judgment is somehow better than everyone else's. ....
    At the end of the day, the thing that pisses me off about political correctness more than anything else is that it's ridiculous in context of the rest of the world that I've seen. Go spend a few weeks in Afghanistan, where the raping of boys by grown men is a national pastime, corruption does not even exist as a concept, the police are smoking dope 24/7, and a large portion of the people take a dump on the floor in their own mud hut and wipe with their fingers... then come back and tell me that it's really a big deal if somebody uses the word 'retarded' in a certain context. We Americans are SO spoiled rotten...
    Ok, two points.
    1) Who are these PC police? Some people disagree with you about a social norm, that's pretty common. Your opinion is no more or less valid than theirs. I don't think I've seen *anyone* on this thread actually say that Flacco personally did anything super bad or needs to be punished, mostly just that it was embarrassing. This is akin to us arguing about whether he should chew with his mouth open while doing an ESPN interview and snacking.
    2) Haven't been there, but it sounds like Afghanistan is a real shit-hole, what does that have to do with US social norms? I don't think anyone is pretending that this issue is on the scale of terrorism and child rape. If you're willing to do the US versus Afghanistan argument, you can argue against all sorts of things:
    "Oh, did I spit in your food? Who cares, you should see Afghanistan!"
    "What, you mad cause I stole your bike? You should see Afghanistan!"
    "Sure that was a hit and run accident, but at least we're not in Afghanistan!"
    "Aww, health insurance isn't covering that surgery you need? In Afghanistan you'd be happy to die of cancer!"

    Just b/c we're way better than Afghanistan doesn't mean it's not worth discussing ways to keep making things even better.




  10. #130

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

    Quote Originally Posted by dweezil22 View Post
    Ok, two points.
    1) Who are these PC police? Some people disagree with you about a social norm, that's pretty common. Your opinion is no more or less valid than theirs. I don't think I've seen *anyone* on this thread actually say that Flacco personally did anything super bad or needs to be punished, mostly just that it was embarrassing. This is akin to us arguing about whether he should chew with his mouth open while doing an ESPN interview and snacking.
    Who are the PC police? Good question--if you find them, let me know so I can lock them in a room and force them to watch Archer 24/7 for a month. In any event, riddle me this: If I tell you that something you say or do offends me, what am I doing? I'm telling you that what you said or did does not conform to my worldview, and implicitly that since my worldview is clearly better than yours, you should no longer say or do that. Can there even be a greater statement of arrogance?

    The fact that this thread exists at all would indicate that somebody had a problem with it. Why is it embarrassing? I'm not embarassed. I see no reason that Flacco should be embarassed. He used a term in a context which used to be completely common, and is still common in my circles (though nowadays it's mostly 'fucktard'). Who cares? As I pointed out in my previous post, anyone whose feelings were hurt need only look in the mirror to figure out whose fault that is.

    Quote Originally Posted by dweezil22 View Post
    2) Haven't been there, but it sounds like Afghanistan is a real shit-hole, what does that have to do with US social norms? I don't think anyone is pretending that this issue is on the scale of terrorism and child rape. If you're willing to do the US versus Afghanistan argument, you can argue against all sorts of things:
    "Oh, did I spit in your food? Who cares, you should see Afghanistan!"
    "What, you mad cause I stole your bike? You should see Afghanistan!"
    "Sure that was a hit and run accident, but at least we're not in Afghanistan!"
    "Aww, health insurance isn't covering that surgery you need? In Afghanistan you'd be happy to die of cancer!"

    Just b/c we're way better than Afghanistan doesn't mean it's not worth discussing ways to keep making things even better.
    Better for who? My ideal society is one where (among other things) people don't get offended by what I consider to be ridiculous bullshit. Seems like your take is a bit different, which is fine.

    It has nothing to do with US social norms, except to illustrate that as a society, we lack perspective on things that are globally important. Lots of people in this country are interested in what Kim Kardashian is wearing to... wherever she goes. Meanwhile, most of the African continent lives under military dictators, most of Asia makes do on dollars a day (if they even have money in their area)... etc. i just find the things some people get bent about around here laughable... though to be sure, don't show the soles of your feet to an Afghan either.




  11. #131

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Yes, calling someone who is gay, gay, is fine.
    Gee .... thanks. I just love having the thought police telling me what is "fine".
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).




  12. #132
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,166
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

    Speaking as a support worker who works with people who have learning disabilities, I really don't see why people feel the need to have the r word in their lingo to throw around as an insult, and why they can't see why using it in a derogatory fashion may be insulting to people that have been victimised with that word is also beyond me. As someone said earlier in the thread, empathy chips not working. It's all fine because you're not in that world, and if it doesn't offend you why should it offend anyone else, right?




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland