Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
Results 85 to 96 of 141
  1. #85

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....



    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    When did America turn into a bunch of pussies? You people need to get thicker skin and not give a damn about what people say unless it is directed at you.
    Sorry, that's not how empathy and basic human compassion works.
    Thoughts on Ray Rice: http://brafootball.wordpress.com/




  2. #86
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Detroit Michigan
    Posts
    1,906
    Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    Sorry, that's not how empathy and basic human compassion works.
    Neither of which are necessarily neglected with use of the R word.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

    –Eleanor Roosevelt




  3. #87

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

    Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    OK, good for your wife's best friend. If only your wife's best friend was the only person in the whole world, then the fact she personally is not offended would mean no one else has to/should be.




    Cool, so you just ignored this part of the entry.



    Was Joe talking about fire retardant? Because THAT would be a "proper context."

    No i did not ignore that part of the entry.

    Joe didn't say "anyone who wants to play in the cold is a retard", or "whoever thought of that is retarded or is a retard".

    The idea is retarded. I think it would RETARD peoples desire to go to the game since a lot of people wouldn't want to sit in the freezing cold and snow. My desire to go to the super bowl would be RETARDED if it were in a cold environment instead of a warm one.

    In the event of a snow storm my ability to get to the game would be RETARDED by said snow.

    I may not be the smartest poster on this board and i am far from being the most PC but the world has evolved into a bunch of slack jawed sissies. People used to be blind, now they are visually impaired. The deaf are now hearing impaired. Handicapped are now physically challenged or disabled which should be offensive in itself. When you disable something it is no longer viable.

    Maybe i don't like being called white perhaps i should request all whites be referred to as Pigmentally challenged. I have a pigment imbalance, i am not white.

    Joe didn't call you or anyone else retarded so get the fuck over it.




  4. #88

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    Neither of which are necessarily neglected with use of the R word.
    Even if I agreed with that statement, which I don't, Captain Silver was not being specific to this example. He was broadly stating that people should not care about things unless they personally affect them, which is a statement so morally and historically dubious I don't even know where to start.
    Thoughts on Ray Rice: http://brafootball.wordpress.com/




  5. #89

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens825 View Post
    Joe didn't call you or anyone else retarded so get the fuck over it.
    Yeah, no, see the fun thing about being an individual is that I get to decide what I want to "get the fuck over." Since this isn't one of those things and aggressive language doesn't bother me, you need to bark up a different tree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens825 View Post
    The idea is retarded. I think it would RETARD peoples desire to go to the game since a lot of people wouldn't want to sit in the freezing cold and snow. My desire to go to the super bowl would be RETARDED if it were in a cold environment instead of a warm one.

    In the event of a snow storm my ability to get to the game would be RETARDED by said snow.
    You clearly don't get the point, and that is sad. A post ago you said context is everything. And now you are comparing literal, commonsensical applications of the word "retard" and "retarded" in mundane situations to use of it when it refers to mentally challenged people. Ha. I get the feeling it would be a waste of time to continue talking to you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens825 View Post
    People used to be blind, now they are visually impaired. The deaf are now hearing impaired. Handicapped are now physically challenged or disabled
    Boo-fucking-hoo. Your life is so hard. Sometimes you have to say extra syllables.
    Thoughts on Ray Rice: http://brafootball.wordpress.com/




  6. #90
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,246

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

    Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    Boo-fucking-hoo. Your life is so hard. Sometimes you have to say extra syllables.
    The point is, he doesn't have to, nor should he/she.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  7. #91

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    The point is, he doesn't have to, nor should he/she.
    Why.
    Thoughts on Ray Rice: http://brafootball.wordpress.com/




  8. #92
    George Carlin has come to mind reading all this.

    SHELLSHOCK!!

    Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2




  9. #93
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    69

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

    Because of the freedom of speech... and you have the right to think that a person who uses word X is a Y.




  10. #94
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area
    Posts
    2,078

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

    BcR--
    We've talked a lot of good football in the past, and I consider you a reasonable poster, so please understand I'm not attacking you, but perhaps we're "violently agreeing"! When you say "Perhaps every time we're about to speak, we should take a step back, count to 10, form our words, then say them slowly so we do not offend anyone.", I agree, and thus my comment that Flacco might need a refresher on how NFL players are trained to speak to the media.

    As far as the media ferreting out controversial statements, my interpretation of most of the links offered in this thread is that the media has their panties in a bunch (the "P" word? ) over the debate on where games should be played, and not that Flacco used the "R" word.

    Regarding making a mountain out of a molehill, I tend to agree with those who believe that a little civility and consideration of other's feelings is not out of order. Sticks and stones and .40 caliber ammo will likely break my bones, so I try and avoid them. Words will never inflict the same damage, at least towards me, but I'm willing to recognize that some MAY be hurt or offended by certain terms, and I can honor that. I guess the question remains as to which words and with whom. This relates more to my comment about Flacco making an ill-timed and poor choice of words like "retarded", which by cultural use seems okay to some, but in a more educated and aware environment should have been avoided. Maybe this is analogous, maybe not, but I see a similarity in the historical use of the "N" word (no, not Niners). I find it offensive, and I'm a white guy. IMO, it doesn't have a lot of practical use in most situations other than to create problems. Using "retarded" to describe why a Super Bowl should not be played in foul weather seems to be a similar non-starter.
    Last edited by Beau Petard; 01-29-2013 at 12:22 PM. Reason: misspelled "Suber" Bowl! :o




  11. #95

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

    Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    Even if I agreed with that statement, which I don't, Captain Silver was not being specific to this example. He was broadly stating that people should not care about things unless they personally affect them, which is a statement so morally and historically dubious I don't even know where to start.
    Back up the pretentiousness bus. Not caring in context of a word his hardly morally dubious. You presume much because I think using the word retard, which is in a dictionary to describe something is akin to having no morals is categorically wrong and pathetic logic.

    The problem with what Flacco said is that there are people in this country that get into hissy fits over the fact he said retarded.




  12. #96
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    69

    Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

    Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    which by cultural use seems okay to some, but in a more educated and aware environment should have been avoided.
    PC ≠ Educated, although I agree that an educated person would know what is or isn't PC, even if they choose to express themselves otherwise.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland