Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: The two greatest post-seasons in NFL history: Joe Montana (1989) vs Joe Flacco (2012). Which was better?

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    Montana did it with the no. 1 offense in the league in '89. The Niners were first in offense and fourth in defense. The '89 Niners are one of the best NFL teams in the history of the league.

It's like saying Montana was more impressive for winning Daytona driving the best car in the field in '89 than Flacco doing it in 2012 driving a stock Ford Mustang.
    Montana had something to do with the fact that the offense was #1. I don't understand trying to say somebody is less impressive because he was more dominant. It wpould be like in the early days of Mike Tyson saying that he wasn't impressive because none of his opponents made it out of the first round.

Re: The two greatest post-seasons in NFL history: Joe Montana (1989) vs Joe Flacco (2012). Which was better?

It takes two to complete a pass (even more if you take pass protection into account). That is why it matters who the players around you are. I didn't watch Montana. But that holds true no matter what.
    Hrafn

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    In his first 2 games in the playoffs (home vs. MIN and on the road at CHI), Montana destroyed the top 2 defenses in the league...not diminishing what Flacco had to face in Denver and vs. San Francisco...but Montana didn't have a walk in the park, either.
    What are you talking about? He played Minn and Rams at home...

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Webb View Post
    What are you talking about? He played Minn and Rams at home...
    Damn...your right...I was looking at the prior year...when they beat Cincinnati in the SB...he had an impressive run there, too. 8 TDs, 1 INT, 100+ QBR for all 3 games.

You are right:
    Home vs. MIN (6th in pts. / 1st in yards)
    Home vs. LA (17th in pts. / 21st in yards)
    Neutral vs DEN (1st in pts. / 3rd in yards)

My bad....I actually think I am more impressed by the prior playoff run when he played the top 2 Ds.

1989 49ers in playoffs faced Vikings, Wade Wilson starting qb; 1989 Rams, Jim Everitt starting qb; 1989 Broncos, John Elway starting qb

2012 Ravens faced Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Colin Kupernick.

I'd say the Ravens definitely had the harder path.

But this whole debate is like arguing between Megan Fox and Beyonce; win/win.
    Baltimore Ravens, 2012 NFL Champions!

Regarding the matter of the 1989 49ers defense, this thought came to mind:

Imagine 2012 Joe Flacco (along maybe with Bouldin and/or Jones) with the 2000 Ravens and their defense.

That would undoubtedly be a team for all ages.

Quote Originally Posted by somedumbguy View Post
    Montana had something to do with the fact that the offense was #1. I don't understand trying to say somebody is less impressive because he was more dominant. It wpould be like in the early days of Mike Tyson saying that he wasn't impressive because none of his opponents made it out of the first round.
    Sure, he had something to do with. He was also surrounded with great talent, including the guy many think was the best player in the history of the game (I'd put Otto Graham or Jim Brown over Rice, but that's me).

I love Boldin. He's a great wide-out and perfect for this team, but he's no Jerry Rice. I don't think he's better than John Taylor. Pitta is a good young tight end. He's no Brent Jones. Rice is arguably as good or better than Craig (and similar in what they provide), but he was also arguably not much of a factor in the playoffs this year. Vonta Leach is another Raven player I love, but he's not the fullback Tom Rathman was, especially as an offensive weapon. Rathman had 305 yards on 79 rushes in '89, and 616 yards receiving on 73 catches. He was also a damn good lead blocker. The Niners that year had a dominating offensive line. The team was 14-2, the best record in football that year.

I was in error upthread. The Niners were 3rd in defense that year, not 4th. The Broncos (who they whumped in the SB) were the no. 1 defense.

I still think the Browns would have given a better game than the Broncos did in the SB that year. The Browns had good, all-around teams in the '80s under Schottenheimer, and shit for luck.

Montana and the 9'ers were the dominate team in the NFL - they could score and defend at will.

Joe Flacco did not have a dominate defense to give him short fields to score from - additionally, the 9'ers weren't in cliffhanger games that playoff year that forced Montana to get the job done.

When a team has a shut down defense, even Trent Dilfer can win a SB. Flacco had to produce this year since the Ravens defense was far from shut down.

Montana is legend - Flacco is building a body of work that can become legend.