Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Re: Exclusive or Non-Exclusive Franchise Tag for Flacco?

Flacco is not married to Baltimore...I don't really know why people act like it's not a possibility that he signs an offer sheet somewhere else...or that if he does, he never wanted to stay here in the first place.

Ray Lewis peddled his services for weeks when he got to UFA...what makes anybody think that Flacco is married to Baltimore?
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Yeah, first, the guy isn't worth the money and the team should probably tag him and make him prove it in 2013, or he should be thankful for 16 mil, etc. etc.

Now, the guy is married to Baltimore and that is going to lead him to take less than he is worth?

I am with you on this one Raveninwoodlawn.

All of these years, who got the credit for this team's success? The defense. Who was the guy that this offense was supposed to run through, because Flacco had clearly shown that he couldn't handle it? Ray Rice.

Now, he's supposed to be so attached to Baltimore and this great atmosphere that he'd take less to stay. If he does, God bless him, but he should not be expected to do that and I wouldn't blame him if he didn't.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

I think they need to stop playing games and pay him.

We have no leverage here and losing him under any circumstance is completely unacceptable IMHO.

If it takes him getting top the QB money, or damn close to it, those are the breaks...the team took a gamble and lost, Joe took a gamble and won...it's time for the Ravens to pay up.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

We have no leverage here and losing him under any circumstance is completely unacceptable IMHO.

If it takes him getting top the QB money, or damn close to it, those are the breaks...the team took a gamble and lost, Joe took a gamble and won...it's time for the Ravens to pay up.
    How crazy would it be for the Ravens to not retain two QBs after winning the Super Bowl? This one, on top of that, was actually good.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

It takes 2 to tango. Can someone tell me what incentive Flacco and his agent have to get a deal done right now? Maybe the Ravens are in fact saying, "Here's top QB money." Maybe Linta is saying, "I'll get back to you."

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    It takes 2 to tango. Can someone tell me what incentive Flacco and his agent have to get a deal done right now? Maybe the Ravens are in fact saying, "Here's top QB money." Maybe Linta is saying, "I'll get back to you."
    Because it would be much better for BOTH parties to not have him tagged. Flacco's value will never be higher than it is right now. He could get tagged, then get hurt, or play poorly, and not come close to the money he is likely being offered.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    They get their money right now? Joe has peace of mind? Linta can go and buy that big yacht he's had his eyes on tomorrow? lol.

I don't think Joe's side is just holding out for the sake of it...Joe doesn't strike me as that type of guy. And I think Joe wants to help the team retain guys and stay really good...just not at the expense of his contract.

BTW, when I say right now...I just want it done before UFA starts.

I don't think the exclusive tag is a guarantee at all. And there are legitimate arguments as to why.

Flacco isn't married to Baltimore, but if everything else is equal, I think he would rather stay. And this isn't the case with players that have an animosity-filled relationship with their management, or the case with players that are on losing teams/organizations. In those cases, the player wants out, definitively.

There would be significantly less pressure on Joe if he stayed here under a big money contract after banking a SB win and the goodwill associated with it than there would be if he signed such a huge deal that also costs his new team additional 2 first round picks. He would be viewed as an expensive savior, and he would need to turn the organization around in a hurry to avoid criticism.

With a non-exclusive tag, assuming Flacco and the Ravens are amicably disagreeing on his value, Flacco can shop for offers but take them back here before he signs them. We would avoid poison-pill structures and could match in total size (which is what Flacco's agent has said is the main priority sicne Joe is young and likely to see the full deal).

The idea that teams are going to be fighting to offer Flacco $23m per year and two first rounders is just insane, imo. Why would teams offer 15% more than the highest paid QB in the league PLUS two first rounders? If anything a team would offer the $20m per year that we all think is the ceiling. In which case we could admit defeat and match.

It won't surprise me if we use the exclusive tag. Nor will it surprise me if we don't. Neither option is greatly better than the other, in terms of risk/reward, no matter which one is chosen.

Blog Entries

If you pay Joe as the top QB, where does his agent have to go from there?

I want to be paid DOUBLE what Drew Brees makes?

I guarantee they aren't truly offering top QB money.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Tom Brady just signed a 3 year extension...again for WAY under market value.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...iots-contract/

Anyways...at least this would theoretically lower the exclusive tag number for Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    If you pay Joe as the top QB, where does his agent have to go from there?

I want to be paid DOUBLE what Drew Brees makes?

I guarantee they aren't truly offering top QB money.
    I agree, which is why the idea that someone else is going to offer 10-20% more than top QB money plus two 1st's is farfetched.

I suspect they are offering $18m per, and Linta is asking for $21m per (but would settle for a dollar more than Brees' annual ~ $20m per).

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    I don't think the exclusive tag is a guarantee at all. And there are legitimate arguments as to why.

Flacco isn't married to Baltimore, but if everything else is equal, I think he would rather stay. And this isn't the case with players that have an animosity-filled relationship with their management, or the case with players that are on losing teams/organizations. In those cases, the player wants out, definitively.

There would be significantly less pressure on Joe if he stayed here under a big money contract after banking a SB win and the goodwill associated with it than there would be if he signed such a huge deal that also costs his new team additional 2 first round picks. He would be viewed as an expensive savior, and he would need to turn the organization around in a hurry to avoid criticism.

With a non-exclusive tag, assuming Flacco and the Ravens are amicably disagreeing on his value, Flacco can shop for offers but take them back here before he signs them. We would avoid poison-pill structures and could match in total size (which is what Flacco's agent has said is the main priority sicne Joe is young and likely to see the full deal).

The idea that teams are going to be fighting to offer Flacco $23m per year and two first rounders is just insane, imo. Why would teams offer 15% more than the highest paid QB in the league PLUS two first rounders? If anything a team would offer the $20m per year that we all think is the ceiling. In which case we could admit defeat and match.

It won't surprise me if we use the exclusive tag. Nor will it surprise me if we don't. Neither option is greatly better than the other, in terms of risk/reward, no matter which one is chosen.
    This is ignoring the idea that another team would offer the same as the Ravens in total dollars, but structure it in a way that makes it hard for the Ravens to match AND gets Flacco more money faster, effectively increasing his guarantees.

Bottom line, let's maybe do this without needing the tag at all. 6 years, $120m, guarantee as much as he wants since we're screwed if he gets hurt anyway.