Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 72 of 96
  1. #61

    Re: Steeler restructures---committing cap suicide



    Watch out - they signed the mighty Steve Breaston.




  2. #62

    Re: Steeler restructures---committing cap suicide

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Watch out - they signed the mighty Steve Breaston.
    Just curious where did you see that? I only saw that he was visiting them. If it's on twitter that would explain since I don't have an account.




  3. #63

    Re: Steeler restructures---committing cap suicide

    Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette
    WR Steve Breaston arrived at the #Steelers facility and they are giving him a physical now.
    Guessing it's close to being a done deal




  4. #64

    Re: Steeler restructures---committing cap suicide

    This is not the way that the Steelers have always done business. They changed up a few years ago. The Jets started this around the time they made it to their first AFC Championship Game. They already have to clean house. It only works for a very short period of time. If you don't strike within that time, it sets you back even farther. That's why Ozzie and Bisciotti are heavily against restructuring contracts. They've only done it two or three times in the past three or four years.

    The Eagles pulled this stuff and they are close to having to clean house.

    It's happening to the Steelers before our very eyes. This year alone, it will likely cost them James Harrison, Casey Hampton and Mike Wallace, at minimum. Worilds could step into Harrison's spot, but I don't know if Brown could handle the double team and they don't have anyone ready to step into Casey Hampton's role.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  5. #65

    Re: Steeler restructures---committing cap suicide

    Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Just curious where did you see that? I only saw that he was visiting them. If it's on twitter that would explain since I don't have an account.
    ProFootballCentral - the same site that leaked the Alex Smith trade days ago.




  6. #66
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,029

    Re: Steeler restructures---committing cap suicide

    Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    That's a ridiculous statement
    I am getting rather tired of you shitting on other peoples opinions simply because you disagree .....

    Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Do you think the Steelers had any worse injury situation last year than the Ravens? Of course not, but they were out of the playoffs while the Ravens were hoisting the trophy because of one thing---depth. Why were the Steelers so lacking in depth? Well, ask yourself.... what free agents did the Steelers add last year? Jericho Cotchery? Plexico Burress? Those are the only two who comes to mind. Every year, in order to stay good, you have to replenish the roster with youth. The Steelers have failed to do this for years now. When their starters go down, they have nobody to step up. The Ravens lose Lardarius Webb for the season and Jimmy Smith for 3-5 weeks down the stretch. They lean on Mr. Reliable Cary Williams while adding Corey Graham and Chykie Brown to the mix. Graham plays like a Pro Bowler and Brown was at least semi-decent for most of his time as the nickleback. Meanwhile, the Steelers lose their best corner, Ike Taylor, for four games, and who is next up to get snaps as the nickle.....Josh Victorian. Yes, the same Victorian who wasn't even one of our top 8 corners in training camp.

    Their inability to add free agents is a MASSIVE reason why they couldn't finish the season. Think the Ravens would have even sniffed the AFC championship game without Jacoby Jones and Corey Graham? Yes, both were unexpected steals who played at a higher level than ever before, but the bottom line is that the Ravens had room for these two guys because they didn't make the mistake of the Steelers in trying to keep every single aging free agent to the point that it hamstrings you from signing younger players in free agency.

    Combine that with 2-3 bad drafts and it's a nasty recipe.
    And in spite of all of that, they were two bad Roethlisberger INT's away from going 10-6 and in the playoffs.

    So yes, they have had bad drafts and always seem to butt up against the cap. Yet, for three years now, they find a way to manager the cap in time and remain competitive. Their record / history bear that much out.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  7. #67

    Re: Steeler restructures---committing cap suicide

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    This is not the way that the Steelers have always done business. They changed up a few years ago. The Jets started this around the time they made it to their first AFC Championship Game. They already have to clean house. It only works for a very short period of time. If you don't strike within that time, it sets you back even farther. That's why Ozzie and Bisciotti are heavily against restructuring contracts. They've only done it two or three times in the past three or four years.
    I believe one was with Yanda. Can't think of any more off the top of my head.

    Yanda's restructure happened when he was entering his age 28 season with four years of contract ahead of him. It prorated $950k over the final 4 years and saved $2.85 towards our 2012 cap. It's a lot easier to justify that type of future cap sacrifice when you make the playoffs and reach a Super Bowl. Even with a restructured contract, Yanda is making roughly the same as Colon, who is older, not nearly as good, and far less durable. Even with the extra $950 on his 2013-2015 contract, Yanda's cap # is within the reasonable realm for a top 5 NFL guard. It was an effective restructure for that reason.


    The Steelers situation is far different. The 2012 Ravens entered the season knowing that they were one play away from the Super Bowl the previous season. They were very close to appearing in back-to-back Super Bowls in fact. They needed a little cap relief to get those extra one or two players that might possibly push them to the ultimate level of success. That premise indeed proved correct.

    The Steelers enter the 2013 season with no such precedent of success. They were 8-8 last year. They were a first round playoff victim to a very mediocre Denver team the season prior. This isn't a team on the precipice of a world title. This is a team far closer to drafting in the top 10 than they are drafting 31st or 32nd. Could they go 10-6 next year? Sure. I don't think it's worth making these type of sacrifices to go 10-6 though.




  8. #68

    Re: Steeler restructures---committing cap suicide

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    How long have they ignored their line? Too long. Big Ben almost did get killed for real this year. .
    Ignored? Pouncey was a great draft of a C. DeCastro had injuries from the get-go - can't plan for that.
    They have believed in Starks & Colon too long, however. Now they won't even have H. Miller's blocking or dump off routes, either - didn't he blow out both knees in one play?




  9. #69
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Columbia, MD
    Posts
    438

    Re: Steeler restructures---committing cap suicide

    Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I believe one was with Yanda. Can't think of any more off the top of my head.

    Yanda's restructure happened when he was entering his age 28 season with four years of contract ahead of him. It prorated $950k over the final 4 years and saved $2.85 towards our 2012 cap. It's a lot easier to justify that type of future cap sacrifice when you make the playoffs and reach a Super Bowl. Even with a restructured contract, Yanda is making roughly the same as Colon, who is older, not nearly as good, and far less durable. Even with the extra $950 on his 2013-2015 contract, Yanda's cap # is within the reasonable realm for a top 5 NFL guard. It was an effective restructure for that reason.


    The Steelers situation is far different. The 2012 Ravens entered the season knowing that they were one play away from the Super Bowl the previous season. They were very close to appearing in back-to-back Super Bowls in fact. They needed a little cap relief to get those extra one or two players that might possibly push them to the ultimate level of success. That premise indeed proved correct.

    The Steelers enter the 2013 season with no such precedent of success. They were 8-8 last year. They were a first round playoff victim to a very mediocre Denver team the season prior. This isn't a team on the precipice of a world title. This is a team far closer to drafting in the top 10 than they are drafting 31st or 32nd. Could they go 10-6 next year? Sure. I don't think it's worth making these type of sacrifices to go 10-6 though.

    Nobody hates the Steelers more than I do, but how can you say "No precedant for success?" They've been to three Super Bowls since 2005, and they were pretty tough this year, their record notwithstanding. Plus, you'd have to imagine that the FO probably isn't that optimistic about their chances once Big Jen gets old and washed up and/or retires.




  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    13,397
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Steeler restructures---committing cap suicide

    since they got Tebow'd they have lost to some pretty average teams... Raiders, Browns, Titans last year for example. I also still think the jury is out on Hailey running that offense but time will tell...

    As far as pushing out the cap; it's the flavor of the week. Teams expect it to bump up in a couple years so they're hedging against that
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  11. #71
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    since they got Tebow'd they have lost to some pretty average teams... Raiders, Browns, Titans last year for example. I also still think the jury is out on Hailey running that offense but time will tell...

    As far as pushing out the cap; it's the flavor of the week. Teams expect it to bump up in a couple years so they're hedging against that
    Agreed
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  12. #72

    Re: Steeler restructures---committing cap suicide

    Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    Nobody hates the Steelers more than I do, but how can you say "No precedant for success?" They've been to three Super Bowls since 2005, and they were pretty tough this year, their record notwithstanding. Plus, you'd have to imagine that the FO probably isn't that optimistic about their chances once Big Jen gets old and washed up and/or retires.
    I think I stated it pretty concisely. The last two years they have had their seasons end in Denver against a pretty average Denver team QBed by Tim Tebow and with a 8-8 record. If you want to start basing chances for success based on what happened more than two years ago, then you're singing a different tune than me, sir.

    If you think about it, I'm sure there are a lot of teams that would be satisfied with going 20-13 over a two year period and making the playoffs once. I know the Steelers aren't one of them. So their remedy to get back to elite status is to try to squeeze another year out of an aging roster rather than re-investing into a younger one. That's where their issue exists in my humblest of opinions. It's philosophical. If they weren't good enough to get a single playoff win in 2011, when their core players were two years younger, what could possibly make you think they are good enough now?

    It's not like they've done what the Ravens just did by offsetting some of that age (Reed, Lewis, Birk, etc) with good/great draft classes and a handful of younger free agents.

    Also, what does the Steelers appearing in a Super Bowl in 2005 and 2008 have to do with projections for their 2013 success? I'm not sure I follow that logic at all. So much changes in the NFL from year to year and you have to keep your roster fresh to stay ahead of the competition. This isn't the Dallas Cowboys/Buffalo Bills era of 20 years ago. It's very rare that a team gets older and gets better.

    Ask yourself this question. What players currently on the Steeler roster can you legitimately expect to be better football players in 2013 than they were in 2012? I believe most of the players on that list would be guys that you are hoping to rebound from injuries, as opposed to young studs that are ready to blossom. That right there is my biggest source of concern if you're a Steeler fan.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland