Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 37 to 48 of 74
  1. #37

    Re: If the NFL were uncapped...?



    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post

    look who's 3rd worse of all time - our own AD Thomas who was one of Bellicheat's biggest mistakes. He cut AD the day after the 2010 DRaft-lol.


    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...history/page/3
    You do know that this list came from the "Bleacher Report", authored by the "world famous" Tony Santorsa. Not a fans' vote, not a players or coaches vote, not even an input from sportwriters.

    That stated, I still find the Adalius Thomas story to be incredible. He was a huge part of our team's defense and special teams in the mid 2000's, then disappeared in Foxboro. Defensive schemes? Hit in the head? Drugs?

    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).




  2. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Roland Park
    Posts
    1,372

    Re: If the NFL were uncapped...?

    Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    That has been "proven" yes, but for as many times as it has, it has been "proven" more times that you can't underspend and win championships.
    It's correlation, not causation. Everyone always points to the outlying argument to disprove the trend. e.g. "See, the Rays won a World Series with a low payroll" or "Look, the Cubs spend and they NEVER win." But overall, there is a correlation between how much money a team spends and how likely they are to make the playoffs.

    The top payrolls are the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, Angels, and Tigers. Playoff appearances in the last five years: 18

    The bottom payrolls are the Padres, A's, Astros, Royals, and Pirates. Playoff appearances in the last five years: 1

    Seems like a correlation to me.
    "Leave. Your. Mark."




  3. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area
    Posts
    2,053

    Re: If the NFL were uncapped...?

    Lots of great observations and comments from many on this thread. Just to add a couple thoughts--

    Whether anyone likes it or not, the NFL is really "big business", not simply home town sports anymore. That equates to a bottom line - $$$$!!!!

    The league has evolved and adopted a certain business model which has proven pretty successful. While it's in each franchise's best interest to win the Super Bowl each year, it's not in their, or the league's, best interest to have a franchise "fail", at least to the level where the franchise goes out of business.

    I think it remains to be seen over time if the CAP and new CBA and evolution of other issues (concussions, long term player health, CAP limitations, etc. -- just quick examples off the top of my head, but there are many more) will cause the NFL to modify their model to any great degree.

    To address the thread title question, all things currently being equal, I think that if the NFL were uncapped, it would very possibly be the beginning of the end. Just one guy's opinion...




  4. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kent Island
    Posts
    974

    Re: If the NFL were uncapped...?

    Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    It's correlation, not causation. Everyone always points to the outlying argument to disprove the trend. e.g. "See, the Rays won a World Series with a low payroll" or "Look, the Cubs spend and they NEVER win." But overall, there is a correlation between how much money a team spends and how likely they are to make the playoffs.

    The top payrolls are the Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, Angels, and Tigers. Playoff appearances in the last five years: 18

    The bottom payrolls are the Padres, A's, Astros, Royals, and Pirates. Playoff appearances in the last five years: 1

    Seems like a correlation to me.
    There's a chicken and egg element to it too, however. Note that the second group includes Houston, which is hardly some sort of poor pathetic small market team, and the former includes Detroit, which is hardly a financial giant within MLB. What's the difference between the two teams? Detroit developed a very good core of young players that made them contenders, and their rich aging owner decided to plow a bunch of money into payroll because he really wants to win the World Series before he dies. The Astros, on the other hand, pretty much fell apart after the mid-aughts, the old owner sold the team, and now new management is just stripping down a shit roster to the bare bones as they begin to rebuild.

    Which is just a long way of saying that, in many cases, the winning comes before the payroll starts to really go up, and losing teams generally don't find themselves drastically increasing payroll by spending on a ton of free agents.




  5. #41

    Re: If the NFL were uncapped...?

    Brien.....are you a Yankees fan? Be honest.




  6. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kent Island
    Posts
    974

    Re: If the NFL were uncapped...?

    Quote Originally Posted by WaccoFlacco View Post
    Brien.....are you a Yankees fan? Be honest.
    Nominally. But after ~3 years of writing about baseball the specific fandoms tend to wear off.




  7. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    10,775
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: If the NFL were uncapped...?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    You do know that this list came from the "Bleacher Report", authored by the "world famous" Tony Santorsa. Not a fans' vote, not a players or coaches vote, not even an input from sportwriters.

    That stated, I still find the Adalius Thomas story to be incredible. He was a huge part of our team's defense and special teams in the mid 2000's, then disappeared in Foxboro. Defensive schemes? Hit in the head? Drugs?


    Yea T but it served my purpose that Risen was a FA in 1995 so he was spot on for once. The AD and Starks thing was opinionated and spot on too. Starks never amounted to anything after he left the nest and neither did AD.

    Remember that guy over on Ravenstalk.com who was ADs PR man and he even wrote a book for McCreary called Motor Man? He
    clearly criticized AD on the board for his attitude when AD left for Boston. Its the system as Kruger the Beast will be the most recent former Raven to learn that.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 03-07-2013 at 09:53 PM.
    Pic of a natural act: UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU. THE PAST IS NOT DEAD, IN FACT, IT IS NOT EVEN PAST.' WILLIAM FAULKNER.




  8. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    10,775
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: If the NFL were uncapped...?

    The proof is in the pudding.

    The Yankee payroll for 2013 for 21 players is $208M with average salary @ $9.9M pr player, which is why they win the division every year. So much for the 6 yr rule.



    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/co...tion/?team=NYA


    Orioles payroll is under the Ravens at $80M and it's the 18th highest payroll in baseball compared to the Yankees $200M or so. Link below lists it @ $195M.

    Pirates are much lower than that but note big spenders at top 5 like Tigers who got to the series spending $120M - more than the O's. The big spenders rule in baseball with no cap.

    Also note A-Rods $29M salary and Mark Teix from Bmore at $23M while O's Markakis is @ $12M and Roberts @ $10M.
    Yup, you can say something about loading up with vets-lol.

    http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/salaries...timore-orioles
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 03-07-2013 at 09:55 PM.
    Pic of a natural act: UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU. THE PAST IS NOT DEAD, IN FACT, IT IS NOT EVEN PAST.' WILLIAM FAULKNER.




  9. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kent Island
    Posts
    974

    Re: If the NFL were uncapped...?

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    The proof is in the pudding.

    The Yankee payroll for 2013 for 21 players is $208M with average salary @ $9.9M pr player, which is why they win the division every year.
    But of the six divisions in baseball, only two (the A.L. East and A.L. Central), were won by the team with the division's highest payroll. That's the same number of division titles that went to the team with the LOWEST payroll in the division (A.L. West and N.L. East). And then you had the N.L. Central, where the teams in the two largest markets

    Having a lot of money to spend in MLB is basically the equivalent of having a franchise QB in the NFL, it can make you relevant consistently, but you've still got to know what you're doing with it. Though that said, there are actually teams in MLB who have built $100 million atrocities and not only been bad in the short term, but destroyed the team's chances of being good for 5-10 year spans (the Cubs and the Mets most notably). NFL teams with a franchise quarterback type might not make the playoffs every year, but they're almost never truly BAD.




  10. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    10,775
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: If the NFL were uncapped...?

    The top finalists in MLBs playoffs last fall were the teams that spent the most:

    YANKS - $200M
    DET - $119M
    SF - $110M
    ST L - $110M


    Fact is Baltimore doesn't have a chance to compete for first place with the Yankees largest market not to mention their $3B cable market compared to the O's for around $1B or so. Add on their new stadium with the richest sky boxes and club level which bring on even more revenue for them. Boston couldn't even compete with them last year after the new stadium was built.

    OAK and CINCI made the POs by out-lasting the rest of their division. Somebody from those divisions had to go like with us in the Yankees division.

    And the Cubs have not won the world series in 104 years.

    And you might want to change your wording from franchise QBs are almost never bad to elite QBs because there's a ton of franchise QBs that lose. Rivers is a franchise QB that lost. Dirty Sanchez is a franchise QB that lost. There's only a few elite QBs that usually win like JOe but even Piss was 8-8 with Big Jen.

    The richest teams in football went to most of the SBs in the pre-cap era during the 90s signing the FAs as proven above.

    Dem's da facts Jack.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 03-08-2013 at 10:59 AM.
    Pic of a natural act: UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU. THE PAST IS NOT DEAD, IN FACT, IT IS NOT EVEN PAST.' WILLIAM FAULKNER.




  11. #47

    Re: If the NFL were uncapped...?

    Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Jerry Jones would be a happy guy trying to buy a SB winning team.
    He'd be happy trying, but he wouldn't do it. It still would take a little savy on who to bring in and how it affects team chemistry. Jones is totally inept at this. He was fortunate to have Jimmy Johnson for awhile, but after he fired him, the Cowboys have been a train wreck. How many times do we see "Dream Teams" fail? Jerry Jones will never win another super bowl no matter how much money he can throw at players.




  12. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Columbia, MD
    Posts
    438

    Re: If the NFL were uncapped...?

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    The top finalists in MLBs playoffs last fall were the teams that spent the most:

    YANKS - $200M
    DET - $119M
    SF - $110M
    ST L - $110M


    Fact is Baltimore doesn't have a chance to compete for first place with the Yankees largest market not to mention their $3B cable market compared to the O's for around $1B or so. Add on their new stadium with the richest sky boxes and club level which bring on even more revenue for them. Boston couldn't even compete with them last year after the new stadium was built.

    OAK and CINCI made the POs by out-lasting the rest of their division. Somebody from those divisions had to go like with us in the Yankees division.

    And the Cubs have not won the world series in 104 years.

    And you might want to change your wording from franchise QBs are almost never bad to elite QBs because there's a ton of franchise QBs that lose. Rivers is a franchise QB that lost. Dirty Sanchez is a franchise QB that lost. There's only a few elite QBs that usually win like JOe but even Piss was 8-8 with Big Jen.

    The richest teams in football went to most of the SBs in the pre-cap era during the 90s signing the FAs as proven above.

    Dem's da facts Jack.
    I'm pretty sure that the salary cap was started in the NFL at the same time that the reserve system was ended and free agency was granted.


    But I think that revenue inequality is a much better detriment to competitive balance than a salary cap. People on here have pointed out how extreme the difference is between the Yankees and the bottom of the league. The reality is that MLB will never have a salary cap until they also institute a generous salary floor. They cannot have a salary floor that will bankrupt half of the teams in the league. My proposal:

    Take the same model that the NFL used to share TV revenue evenly. Link all of the baseball networks together, and create two giant networks, one for the American League and one for the National League. Maybe call one CBS Baseball Network and one Fox Baseball Network, or something like that. Push hard to have these networks included in every basic cable package. Regionalize the games shown the same way that the NFL does, where a game will always be showing when one is on, but the team closest to you will get priority. Show nationally televised games on ESPN and Fox as you wish. That way, nobody has control over their broadcasting rights, but everybody gets paid evenly. Considering that merchandise is already split, there will be little revenue differences between the teams. Only gate revenue and concessions.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland