Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 74

Thread: Offensive Line

  1. #1

    Offensive Line



    The Ravens front office should continue upgrading offensive line. We saw what Flacco could do when protected, Brady-like performance.





  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    8,838
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Offensive Line

    Welcome to the boards Mr captain obvious!




  3. #3

    Re: Offensive Line

    Four fifths of the offensive line are really set. Michael Oher looked better at RT and that was in short notice. Given an entire off-season to prepare for RT, I would expect that improvement to continue. Marshal Yanda is arguably the best Guard in the league. The team has been very high on Gino Gradkowski since they drafted him. This was expected. Kelechi Osemele seems to fit LG best. Let's keep him there. Find your LT. Is it McKinnie? Is it Long? Is it a draft pick? Is it a combination of the two?
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  4. #4

    Re: Offensive Line

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Welcome to the boards Mr captain obvious!
    That is so wrong




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    11,295
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Offensive Line

    McKinnie and a draft pick is the way to go. I'd love to go into next year with McKinnie, KO and a draft pick as options for the position. Long is out of out price range and isn't that good. Baker has had a lot of injuries. Most of the other good tackles have had success on the right side and it's tough to know if they can play effectively at LT. McKinnie on a short term deal with some young guys who could replace him at some point makes the most sense.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    12,886
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Offensive Line

    I tend to agree; find a way to keep McKinnie around on the cheap for one more year but draft someone to groom. They're not going to spend top bucks on the Oline like some other teams
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  7. #7

    Re: Offensive Line

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    McKinnie and a draft pick is the way to go. I'd love to go into next year with McKinnie, KO and a draft pick as options for the position. Long is out of out price range and isn't that good. Baker has had a lot of injuries. Most of the other good tackles have had success on the right side and it's tough to know if they can play effectively at LT. McKinnie on a short term deal with some young guys who could replace him at some point makes the most sense.
    Agree. Hopefully with Mckinnie he fits Ozzie's criteria of right player, right price..........and right attitude. Regardless of what we do with Mckinnie we've got to address the LT position in the draft. It's funny how this position has become a problematic one since Ogden retired. We've been spoiled.




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    11,295
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Offensive Line

    Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Agree. Hopefully with Mckinnie he fits Ozzie's criteria of right player, right price..........and right attitude. Regardless of what we do with Mckinnie we've got to address the LT position in the draft. It's funny how this position has become a problematic one since Ogden retired. We've been spoiled.
    We sure have been spoiled. I expect the same issues MLB and Safety. On the flip side we have a franchise quarterback which has become the most important piece of the puzzle.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  9. #9

    Re: Offensive Line

    I have a sneaky suspicion that we're all going to be disappointed yet again in how the FO handles the OL this offseason. I think they will allow the market to set McKinnie's price and they will have no qualms whatsoever letting him walk if his price is a penny higher than what they want to pay. That will leave us in essentially the same position we were for most of last season--which was once again a crisis of their own creation.

    The Ravens are still fumbling about trying to replace Jonathan Ogden, and still following the same approach they used when JO was here. They simply do not prioritize the OL and never have. They will gladly spend draft picks on offensive linemen, but rarely first rounders (which are usually reserved for high-impact defenders). They do a good job of developing their mid-round picks for the most part but very rarely re-sign them, so they're constantly cycling through players and re-shuffling. The same is true now; they committed long-term to Yanda, but the other 4 OL positions have been continuously in flux.

    I expect the Ravens to go into 2013 with Oher at LT, backed up by the developmental LT of the future. They will add an interior OL who can play guard and center to back up and "compete" with Gradkowski, who will be the starting center in between KO and Yanda. At RT, they will likely give Jah Reid one last shot to get healthy and win a starter's spot (I think he fits better at RT than LG) but he will be pushed by Jack Cornell or a cheap FA in camp.




  10. #10

    Re: Offensive Line

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    We sure have been spoiled. I expect the same issues MLB and Safety. On the flip side we have a franchise quarterback which has become the most important piece of the puzzle.
    Not to go off on a tangent, it blows my mind why Flacco gets criticized so much because we've certainly never been spoiled by the QB position over the years. It's almost like we've been desensitized by bad QB play so when Flacco comes along we don't know how to react.

    The more I think about it LT has to be huge priority like right now. We've got protect our 120M investment.




  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    22,995
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I have a sneaky suspicion that we're all going to be disappointed yet again in how the FO handles the OL this offseason. I think they will allow the market to set McKinnie's price and they will have no qualms whatsoever letting him walk if his price is a penny higher than what they want to pay. That will leave us in essentially the same position we were for most of last season--which was once again a crisis of their own creation.

    The Ravens are still fumbling about trying to replace Jonathan Ogden, and still following the same approach they used when JO was here. They simply do not prioritize the OL and never have. They will gladly spend draft picks on offensive linemen, but rarely first rounders (which are usually reserved for high-impact defenders). They do a good job of developing their mid-round picks for the most part but very rarely re-sign them, so they're constantly cycling through players and re-shuffling. The same is true now; they committed long-term to Yanda, but the other 4 OL positions have been continuously in flux.

    I expect the Ravens to go into 2013 with Oher at LT, backed up by the developmental LT of the future. They will add an interior OL who can play guard and center to back up and "compete" with Gradkowski, who will be the starting center in between KO and Yanda. At RT, they will likely give Jah Reid one last shot to get healthy and win a starter's spot (I think he fits better at RT than LG) but he will be pushed by Jack Cornell or a cheap FA in camp.
    I really hope that this is not what happens.

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    When it comes to quarterbacks, don't pay attention to stats; pay attention to guys who make crucial plays at crucial times. -Gil Brandt


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/




  12. #12

    Re: Offensive Line

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I really hope that this is not what happens.

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Let me make one thing clear though; I'm not just bashing the FO for how they've handled the OL. Gaither is really at the heart of all of this as much as anything else. He was a huge steal in the supplemental draft and if he would have panned out every year would have been like 2009, when we had one of the best OL in the league. It was NOT the FO's fault that Gaither turned out like he did.

    I do blame them for their undying allegiance to Michael Oher. I don't think they WANT him to play RT; I think they would much rather he play LT, and so they keep trying to force the issue. They would not have played McKinnie at all last year if it weren't for Jah Reid's toe injury, and I don't know how much their minds were really changed by the playoff run... and if you look at Filmstudy's grades from the playoffs, you'd be surprised to find that we really didn't get great play out of both OTs in ANY game. The interior OL was what really allowed Flacco to step up and make plays even while pressure was coming in from the edges. They got by last year without elite OT play and they'll do it again next year

    I think that's going to be the key to the OL next year. They have to preserve the elite pass protection and run blocking they got from the interior OL and they need to add youth and talent at the OT position, even if it's raw talent. The Castillo hire is another signal to me that they're going to try to make chicken salad out of chicken shit on the OL; that's what he's done his entire career.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland