Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    section 132
    Posts
    2,645
    Blog Entries
    2

    was Ngata overpaid?



    In hindsight, did the Ravens jump the gun? For the highest paid player on the team, does the production match the value? He has pretty much been hurt ever since he signed and just hasn't been the force he was his first five years in the league. I know he is still great a pushing the pocket and eating space, but is it $12mil great? Can we ever expect him to put in a healthy season again? I hope so.




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,125
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: was Ngata overpaid?

    You could say so far he's been over paid, but even at 75 % Ngata is still one of our best players, and I wonder where our defense would be without him, he was a force in the play offs too, particularly the Denver game. And say if he has a real productive year next season, all this talk will die.




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pikesville
    Posts
    4,051
    Just look at how much San Fran could move the ball after he went out and his value becomes obvious.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    25,832
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: was Ngata overpaid?

    You could probably make a good argument that he was overpaid, but the reality is he is one of the best DT's in the game and you also have to consider he was up for a new deal literally RIGHT after Albert Haynesworth got that stupid contract from the Redskins.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  5. #5

    Re: was Ngata overpaid?

    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Just look at how much San Fran could move the ball after he went out and his value becomes obvious.
    It's not too hard to imagine jsut hwo great he could be with a lower snap count allowed by us acquiring a better NT then Cheeseburger to play next to him. Further, if we could rtotate Art Jones, McPhee, Bryan Hall and Deangelo Tyson to a point where we could chop off 10% of hsi snap count then he would go RIGHT BACK to being the force we paid for.




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Fredneck, MD
    Posts
    338

    Re: was Ngata overpaid?

    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Just look at how much San Fran could move the ball after he went out and his value becomes obvious.
    This. He was having a hell of a game until then




  7. #7

    Re: was Ngata overpaid?

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    You could probably make a good argument that he was overpaid, but the reality is he is one of the best DT's in the game and you also have to consider he was up for a new deal literally RIGHT after Albert Haynesworth got that stupid contract from the Redskins.
    This.

    The Haynesworth deal was what Ngata's agent could work off of.

    In terms of being overpaid. He's like the Ed Reed of the DL. Teams don't like to run at him becuase of what a threat he is. The problem is people may think he was awful this year but it's a reflecting of the rest of the defence. I thought, from film, Ngata looked good, but his injury history could make a case for being overpaid. Dude needs to stay healthy. I still want him to be moved to NT, but that probably won't happen

    "I've always been told that I'm too small, i'm not big enough, i'm not fast enough, i don't have what it takes, I prepare so no one can take what is mine. No one can replace my mind, my heart."

    "Leave your mark to endure forever."




  8. #8

    Re: was Ngata overpaid?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    It's not too hard to imagine jsut hwo great he could be with a lower snap count allowed by us acquiring a better NT then Cheeseburger to play next to him. Further, if we could rtotate Art Jones, McPhee, Bryan Hall and Deangelo Tyson to a point where we could chop off 10% of hsi snap count then he would go RIGHT BACK to being the force we paid for.
    Exactly this. When healthy, he's worth every penny.

    It's on Ozzie and John to find a way to keep his snap-count down this season (and probably every season from here on out, since he's not getting any younger). I'm sure that was a significant element of Ozzie's post-season assessment, re: needing to improve the interior D. Neither Cody nor Kemo could hold the point of attack well enough to allow us the luxury of taking Haloti off the field for more than a few plays/game, and that has to change.




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    8,651
    Blog Entries
    4
    He was at a dpoy pace until he got hurt


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk




  10. #10

    Re: was Ngata overpaid?

    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Just look at how much San Fran could move the ball after he went out and his value becomes obvious.


    Ngata is a guy whose value becomes abundantly clear when he is no longer out there. SB was prime evidence of that.
    A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,
    -Ray Lewis




  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    section 132
    Posts
    2,645
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: was Ngata overpaid?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    He was at a dpoy pace until he got hurt


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That was at the beginning of 2011 though. Two years ago. I just hope the big man isn't breaking down. Aside from his primary responsibilities, he was a playmaker, forcing and recovering fumbles, ints, etc. I just hope he can get back to that level of play. He isn't getting any younger.




  12. #12

    Re: was Ngata overpaid?

    Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    That was at the beginning of 2011 though. Two years ago. I just hope the big man isn't breaking down. Aside from his primary responsibilities, he was a playmaker, forcing and recovering fumbles, ints, etc. I just hope he can get back to that level of play. He isn't getting any younger.
    To me this is the primary question regarding Ngata moving forward. How will his health issues of the past several seasons impact his longterm viability.

    IMO the Ravens can help that equation by getting someone either in FA or in the draft who can fill the NT Cody/Kemo role effectively. Does not need to be a probowl caliber guy just a guy who can get off blocks and stuff the run. Ricky Jean Francois comes to mind as a good fit or someone similar.
    A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,
    -Ray Lewis




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland