Page 60 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061626364 ... LastLast
Results 709 to 720 of 801
  1. #709


    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Even the star players that got paid a ton are going broke. Chris McAlister declared bankruptcy after making over 50 mil from the Ravens. Vince Young got a 26 mil signing bonus, and he's broke now.

    They just blow their money being idiots.
    Sure there are some stars. They are the high profile guys we all hear about.

    I just said most aren't and we never hear about those guys.

    It's still a shame though...in general it's a shame how as soon as someone comes into some money, the leaches come out and most of the time those leaches are your own "friends" and "family".


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.





  2. #710
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    baltimore
    Posts
    2,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Even the star players that got paid a ton are going broke. Chris McAlister declared bankruptcy after making over 50 mil from the Ravens. Vince Young got a 26 mil signing bonus, and he's broke now.

    They just blow their money being idiots.
    This is where I'm at with it. They're idiots!
    I can not feel bad for guys that have decent careers then a few years later are broke.

    Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2




  3. #711

    Re: Ed Reed to Houston?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Whether the Texans knew about this injury, him needing surgery, and/or missing OTAs and training camp, I don't know for certain.

    I do know that many Texans fans cited Reed's ability to mentor the younger players and to show them how to prepare as an added benefit of his signing. Not so much.

    I agree with MarkS: Love Reed as a player, but the dude definitely marches to his own beat...and I am not sure if it is one you would want younger players to model.
    A few people have mentioned it was a bad idea to expect him to mentor the younger players. I don't get where this line of thinking comes from.

    Ed was every bit the leader in the locker room that Ray was. Different people lead different ways. He doesn't do the Ray inspirational speach thing. That's fine, he leads other ways. Those who are willing to listen and learn from him would be well served. Everyone who has played with him or coached him in some way has praised his football IQ. Arthur Jones was quoted earlier in this thread about how Ed knows every defensive position and responsibility. It's not like Ed would be teaching every player to free lance and take risks the way he did. His football IQ, instincts and incredible athletic abilities allowed him to do it.

    As much pure talent as Ed and Ray both had, the major difference between them and the many other purely talented players in the league was knowing the game. They study film like few others. And they've encouraged younger guys to join them and learn how to study film.

    I would definitely want someone like Ed in my locker room, especially if I had a lot of youth on defense.




  4. #712

    Re: Ed Reed to Houston

    Before the guaranteed 5m - 15m contract Ed just signed for, his net worth was estimated to be 38.5m. To have netted that kind of wealth after taxes indicates he has been thrifty with his money. If he blows over 40m and ends up broke I won't cry a river. Lots of people blow big money in and out of football. This is a silly thing to argue about.

    I was just watching a highlight of Heyward-Bey on NFLN and Ed tried to tackle him unsuccessfully. While Heyward-Bey ran into the end zone you could see Ed on the ground clutching his shoulder in pain. His neck issues won't improve. I wish him well and am more concerned with his long term health than going broke.

    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...-yard-TD-catch

    This kind of play is why Ed isn't here anymore.
    Last edited by Bigfish; 05-08-2013 at 10:10 AM.




  5. #713
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    8,374
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Ed Reed to Houston

    Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    This is where I'm at with it. They're idiots!
    I can not feel bad for guys that have decent careers then a few years later are broke.

    Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2
    They should've taken some accounting or money management classes with their full ride scholarships. I have no pity for them.




  6. #714
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Cockeysville, MD
    Posts
    2,084

    Re: Ed Reed to Houston

    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    It also wouldn't surprise me if he never plays a down for HOU. If in a month or two he just decides to hang it up.

    All those years he threatened retirement yet came back to play...now when he says he wants to play watch him up and retire.

    That would be such an Ed Reed thing to do.

    Texans have to be feeling a little silly right about now. We sign their former players and turn them into playoff heroes and SB champs. They sign our former player(s) and get unexpected surgeries. Not too mention they let their own guy Quin walk off in FA.
    Sadly the league still hasn't learned it's lesson with Raven free agents. Ozzie is right more often than not and to be honest I feel this is all on the owner wanting Ed down there with the football guys not having the balls to say no. McNair probably kept throwing the playoff record in their face and they couldn't argue it.




  7. #715

    Re: Ed Reed to Houston

    Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...ine/MAG1153364

    According to SI, 78% of NFL players are either bankrupt or under financial stress within two years of retirement. I did not see a definition of "financial stress" in the article.

    Keep in mind that most NFL players don't make enough money to truly "retire" on, and a lot of them are probably not going to find well-paying jobs. So unless someone has done a study of the top-tier players, these statistics would be highly suspect if applied to the guys who've made millions playing football.
    Thanks!

    You can hope though it has changed since.

    2007-8 was hopefully the lowpoint and not pleasant years for investing.




  8. #716
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pikesville
    Posts
    3,701
    Something to remember with a lot of the guys who end up broke is that often times they are the only members of their entire extended family to ever rise above working poor. It's hard to see your brothers, sisters, mothers, cousins, aunts and uncles, and childhood friends all living paycheck to paycheck while you're making even as little as vet min. So oftentimes, the guys with 20 cars and 10 houses are buying them in their names and simply handing them out.

    It's not smart, but its understandable. I can't imagine it's easy to say you can't afford to support everyone who ever did right by you once when they all can go on rotoworld and read the details of your multi million dollar contract. (Especially when you consider how much of those millions are fictitious funny money like the last few years of Flacco's deal, and that taxes probably take 40%, and agents get their slice too.)

    I'm not excusing a guy burning through millions because he wants to live large, but I am betting that a lot of that 80% are just foolish people who give too much to too many because they feel obligated by old ties.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron




  9. #717
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    8,838
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Ed Reed to Houston

    I think its safe to say that Reed wont be broke down the line, he's not that type of guy. He'll have hundreds of offers in all sorts of lines of work after football anyway, he already said he wants to coach.




  10. #718
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    19,930
    Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...ine/MAG1153364

    According to SI, 78% of NFL players are either bankrupt or under financial stress within two years of retirement. I did not see a definition of "financial stress" in the article.

    Keep in mind that most NFL players don't make enough money to truly "retire" on, and a lot of them are probably not going to find well-paying jobs. So unless someone has done a study of the top-tier players, these statistics would be highly suspect if applied to the guys who've made millions playing football.
    Wow! Thanks for posting.

    I don't know where I got the 35% number from. Still, given what we've heard about Reed and his money, I'd be willing to bet he's one of the few who isn't broke when it's all done for him.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  11. #719

    Re: Ed Reed to Houston

    Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post
    A few people have mentioned it was a bad idea to expect him to mentor the younger players. I don't get where this line of thinking comes from.

    Ed was every bit the leader in the locker room that Ray was. Different people lead different ways. He doesn't do the Ray inspirational speach thing. That's fine, he leads other ways. Those who are willing to listen and learn from him would be well served. Everyone who has played with him or coached him in some way has praised his football IQ. Arthur Jones was quoted earlier in this thread about how Ed knows every defensive position and responsibility. It's not like Ed would be teaching every player to free lance and take risks the way he did. His football IQ, instincts and incredible athletic abilities allowed him to do it.

    As much pure talent as Ed and Ray both had, the major difference between them and the many other purely talented players in the league was knowing the game. They study film like few others. And they've encouraged younger guys to join them and learn how to study film.

    I would definitely want someone like Ed in my locker room, especially if I had a lot of youth on defense.
    Well, first off, he has to be in the locker room...and at this rate, he won't show up until mid-to-late August. And I get your point about leading by example, or maybe more quietly, is well taken, but my point is that he's also a different sort of player than most...if he's healthy (a big if at this point), I am sure he will add more to the Texans than he subtracts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    Sadly the league still hasn't learned it's lesson with Raven free agents. Ozzie is right more often than not and to be honest I feel this is all on the owner wanting Ed down there with the football guys not having the balls to say no. McNair probably kept throwing the playoff record in their face and they couldn't argue it.
    If Reed makes it through the season and comes up with one of his trade-mark playoff performances, and it gets the Texans past the divisional round, it will be worth it.

    The Ravens won their championship....both Reed and the Ravens knew the end was near...the Ravens were ready to move on. The Texans are still trying to get over the proverbial hump with Kubiak, Schaub and Andre Johnson...frankly this next season or 2 is probably their last chance before they have to blow it all up again...plus they are facing potentially a decade of dominance by Andrew Luck (right after getting out from under the boot-heel of Peyton Manning)....so I can see why they think it's a good gamble. It somewhat compares to the 2000 Ravens that brought in Sharpe and Woodson.
    Last edited by JohnBKistler; 05-10-2013 at 08:45 AM.




  12. #720

    Re: Ed Reed to Houston

    All I can say to the Texan fan is: Bawahahahahahaha!.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland