Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 114

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Why is everyone up in arms about rebuilding the defense?



    First off, I hate the Pollard move. We lose one of the best enforcers in the business.

    However, the defense has been aging and had become porous over the last couple years. I agree with the rebuild. It's a huge shock to see it happen right after the Super Bowl, but it's a necessary evil. I'd personally rather see it happen right now than two years down the road.




  2. #2

    Re: Why is everyone up in arms about rebuilding the defense?



    It was either now or later, and with 12 picks its time to restock. Solid players at our need positions are there to be had I think. I like a safety in first 2 rounds now




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Westmonster
    Posts
    548

    Re: Why is everyone up in arms about rebuilding the defense?

    The more i think about it, the more i am sure the whole Pollard move was about him being a player rep (look at Foxworth our old player rep). It wouldn't shock me that the next player rep would get the kick too. Kind of a curse to be the player rep for the ravens.

    i do agree with you and not at all worried this time of year. I will start to get worried if we see our 8th loss in week 10 or so next season.




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    15

    Re: Why is everyone up in arms about rebuilding the defense?

    In total agreement. It's not like we were a top tier defense that was old last year. We were a middling defense that was old. Might as well get young and see what we have.




  5. #5

    Re: Why is everyone up in arms about rebuilding the defense?

    Quote Originally Posted by Darksouleyez View Post
    The more i think about it, the more i am sure the whole Pollard move was about him being a player rep (look at Foxworth our old player rep). It wouldn't shock me that the next player rep would get the kick too. Kind of a curse to be the player rep for the ravens.
    Really? That literally has nothing to do with it. Some of the leagues better players are player reps. Theyre not released simply for being a rep which is mandatory per team.
    -JAB




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Westmonster
    Posts
    548

    Re: Why is everyone up in arms about rebuilding the defense?

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Really? That literally has nothing to do with it. Some of the leagues better players are player reps. Theyre not released simply for being a rep which is mandatory per team.
    The reason behind me saying that is they are more of the "Vocal" people on each team. which goes back to that whole quote floating around yesterday about less outspoken players in the locker room.




  7. #7

    Re: Why is everyone up in arms about rebuilding the defense?

    Quote Originally Posted by Darksouleyez View Post
    The reason behind me saying that is they are more of the "Vocal" people on each team. which goes back to that whole quote floating around yesterday about less outspoken players in the locker room.
    Just to add fact to the discussion- Foxworth is gone because he was injured, had zero to do with his player rep status




  8. #8

    Re: Why is everyone up in arms about rebuilding the defense?

    Look, I have kept mum on most of the sky is falling business around here but I am going to break it down.

    I will miss Q and any and all of the Ravens who either move on to greener pa$ture$ or are cut by the team. I forgot whom it was that stated the new plan of how the team will build around a franchise QB like New England does, but they were right.

    I would like to add to that notion. It has been argued here on another thread that Harrison would be a bad pick up because he is a dirty player. Fair enough. But that type of play, the hitting and trying to dislodge the ball with a "BIG HIT" is going to be going away. Just like the rules have changed from 12 years ago from the Ravens record setting defense, it will evolve in the next 12.

    The NFL is fast becoming the arena league. It is all going to become about passing and stopping the pass. WR and DB's are going to be interchangeable pawns with speed. You'll get the occasional anomaly at tight end, but on the whole, there ill be no more "big hits" it is going to become about sure tackling and ripping the ball away from the ball carrier. Hence, players like Pollard are going the way of the dinosaur. Even Ray Lewis is going to be remembered as people think of Butkus and what he got away with decades ago.

    The offensive and defensive lines are going to become premium places of cost and action after QB's. This will be one of the last places the game really changes and it will evolve in the way of illegal chop blocks from the o-line and less leeway for defensive line players on hitting the quarterback as is already ever present.

    Five yards beyond the line of scrimmage, it is going to turn into almost flag football. Even running back has been devalued over the years. The ability to catch is almost as important as it is to run - Ray Rice/Reggie Bush. This again like the tight end still has a places for players like AP. But overall, this is the progression of the game.

    It is my belief, that based upon the evolution of the game, suggestions of the competition committee, the problem with concussions and safty as well as Roger Goodell's comments about making the game safer draw me to this conclusion: Ozzie Newsome thinks along these lines and is building a team to reflect the evolution of the game.

    Think outside the box my friends.




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    13,008
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why is everyone up in arms about rebuilding the defense?

    Forget Madden curse, the chic curse now is "Baltimore Player rep curse"

    This is dumb, sorry...Foxworth "being evidence" is even worse because MOST OF THE POSTERS ON THIS BOARD SCREAMED AT THE RAVENS FOR KEEPING HIM ON THE ROSTER!!!! Did you WATCH him play in 2011? I was one of his biggest supporters, and he was definitley worse off. Couldn't keep up with even the slower WRs. That ACL tear did him in. There's a reason he never played anywhere again.

    But you're right, I'm sure the next player rep will be plotted against from the minute he's elected. That's just the MO of this team, right?
    .
    .
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  10. #10

    Re: Why is everyone up in arms about rebuilding the defense?

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Look, I have kept mum on most of the sky is falling business around here but I am going to break it down.

    I will miss Q and any and all of the Ravens who either move on to greener pa$ture$ or are cut by the team. I forgot whom it was that stated the new plan of how the team will build around a franchise QB like New England does, but they were right.

    I would like to add to that notion. It has been argued here on another thread that Harrison would be a bad pick up because he is a dirty player. Fair enough. But that type of play, the hitting and trying to dislodge the ball with a "BIG HIT" is going to be going away. Just like the rules have changed from 12 years ago from the Ravens record setting defense, it will evolve in the next 12.

    The NFL is fast becoming the arena league. It is all going to become about passing and stopping the pass. WR and DB's are going to be interchangeable pawns with speed. You'll get the occasional anomaly at tight end, but on the whole, there ill be no more "big hits" it is going to become about sure tackling and ripping the ball away from the ball carrier. Hence, players like Pollard are going the way of the dinosaur. Even Ray Lewis is going to be remembered as people think of Butkus and what he got away with decades ago.

    The offensive and defensive lines are going to become premium places of cost and action after QB's. This will be one of the last places the game really changes and it will evolve in the way of illegal chop blocks from the o-line and less leeway for defensive line players on hitting the quarterback as is already ever present.

    Five yards beyond the line of scrimmage, it is going to turn into almost flag football. Even running back has been devalued over the years. The ability to catch is almost as important as it is to run - Ray Rice/Reggie Bush. This again like the tight end still has a places for players like AP. But overall, this is the progression of the game.

    It is my belief, that based upon the evolution of the game, suggestions of the competition committee, the problem with concussions and safty as well as Roger Goodell's comments about making the game safer draw me to this conclusion: Ozzie Newsome thinks along these lines and is building a team to reflect the evolution of the game.

    Think outside the box my friends.
    Yes, I agree with this thinking, build up a strong DL and have speed in back of it.......
    Way Down South in New Orleans




  11. #11

    Re: Why is everyone up in arms about rebuilding the defense?

    Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    Yes, I agree with this thinking, build up a strong DL and have speed in back of it.......
    Yeah I think we are going Giantesque with the Canty pick up. I think we will see much more 4 man fronts




  12. #12

    Re: Why is everyone up in arms about rebuilding the defense?

    Quote Originally Posted by NOLARavenFAN View Post
    Yes, I agree with this thinking, build up a strong DL and have speed in back of it.......
    I was going to mention this very thing.
    My most frequently used game day f-bomb last year was... "Man. Our defense is so f-in SLOW!"
    It was literally laughable to me at points.
    Back to the AFCCG we go. So get ready!

    Having fun talking football on Twitter @BigPlayReceiver




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland