Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 32
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    20,999

    SCOTUS to Hear Prop 8 & DOMA Cases



    Getting kind of dull in this area so I figured I get a discussion not related to guns going ....

    Thoughts on the cases?

    Personally, I think DOMA gets tossed but I am not sure about Prop 8. I cannot recall a time when SCOTUS considered a case when the petitioner won their case in lower court. I would not be surprised if they toss it out on procedural grounds (no standing).
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    24,167
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: SCOTUS to Hear Prop 8 & DOMA Cases

    I'm sorry if this is insensitive to other beliefs on "marriage" and what it means...but really? Really? The Supreme Court is now involved?

    Do we really not have more pressing things going on?
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    20,999

    Re: SCOTUS to Hear Prop 8 & DOMA Cases

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'm sorry if this is insensitive to other beliefs on "marriage" and what it means...but really? Really? The Supreme Court is now involved?

    Do we really not have more pressing things going on?
    Well, to be fair the court, they are handling a ton of other issues this session as well.

    I agree with this sentiment for the Prob 8 case. They won their case. I do not think they have standing.

    DOMA though is a constitutional issue, thus it's the type of case the court was designed for.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,090

    Re: SCOTUS to Hear Prop 8 & DOMA Cases

    Help me out. I haven't really followed this.

    Prop 8 passed. What happened after that?
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    20,999

    Re: SCOTUS to Hear Prop 8 & DOMA Cases

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Help me out. I haven't really followed this.

    Prop 8 passed. What happened after that?
    It was appealed to the CA SPCT where it was struck down. That's why I am kinda puzzled as to why it's even being heard in SCOTUS.

    The petitioners won their appeal and Prop 8 was declared unconstitutional at the state level but they are now filing with SCOTUS.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    24,167
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: SCOTUS to Hear Prop 8 & DOMA Cases

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Well, to be fair the court, they are handling a ton of other issues this session as well.

    I agree with this sentiment for the Prob 8 case. They won their case. I do not think they have standing.

    DOMA though is a constitutional issue, thus it's the type of case the court was designed for.
    Yea, but at their core, it is revolving around gay marriage, right?

    Marriage licenses are state issued.

    Let the states deal with it and let the states iron it all out. The Federal government has other things to worry about.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,090

    Re: SCOTUS to Hear Prop 8 & DOMA Cases

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    It was appealed to the CA SPCT where it was struck down. That's why I am kinda puzzled as to why it's even being heard in SCOTUS.

    The petitioners won their appeal and Prop 8 was declared unconstitutional at the state level but they are now filing with SCOTUS.
    Guess they are trying to win a national victory?

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Yea, but at their core, it is revolving around gay marriage, right?

    Marriage licenses are state issued.

    Let the states deal with it and let the states iron it all out. The Federal government has other things to worry about.
    I agree with that.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    20,999

    Re: SCOTUS to Hear Prop 8 & DOMA Cases

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Yea, but at their core, it is revolving around gay marriage, right?

    Marriage licenses are state issued.

    Let the states deal with it and let the states iron it all out. The Federal government has other things to worry about.
    I agree that's what is outght to be, but the Courts co-opted the marriage debate as a civil rights issue long before these cases.

    The Libertarian in me agrees with you on that principle but the realty is that it IS in the courts now. I'd be ok if SCOTUS decided that this is a states rights issue and be done with it.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,090

    Re: SCOTUS to Hear Prop 8 & DOMA Cases

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I agree that's what is outght to be, but the Courts co-opted the marriage debate as a civil rights issue long before these cases.

    The Libertarian in me agrees with you on that principle but the realty is that it IS in the courts now. I'd be ok if SCOTUS decided that this is a states rights issue and be done with it.

    Me too. Then we could take that question out of the Presidential debates... or at least hope it would.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  10. #10

    Re: SCOTUS to Hear Prop 8 & DOMA Cases

    Prop 8 was actually upheld by CA SPCT.

    Then it was challenged in federal court. It was District Federal Court where it was overturned by activist clown Judge Vaughan Walker.

    It then went to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, which predictably and erroneously affirmed Walker's nonsensical ruling.

    Now it is before SCOTUS. As with most highly-politicized issues that reach SCOTUS, the law is a secondary concern in the process, and Justice Kennedy determines the outcome.




  11. #11

    Re: SCOTUS to Hear Prop 8 & DOMA Cases

    Brendan A. was at a Supreme Court rally today (expressing his little-known, quietly kept views).

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...supreme-court/

    I'm glad SCOTUS is hearing it because I do think it needs to be treated as a civil rights issue.




  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    20,999
    Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Prop 8 was actually upheld by CA SPCT.

    Then it was challenged in federal court. It was District Federal Court where it was overturned by activist clown Judge Vaughan Walker.

    It then went to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, which predictably and erroneously affirmed Walker's nonsensical ruling.

    Now it is before SCOTUS. As with most highly-politicized issues that reach SCOTUS, the law is a secondary concern in the process, and Justice Kennedy determines the outcome.
    The rule of law may still be upheld here is SCOTUS rules they don't have standing. Again, this is a first -- a petitioner who won their appeal in a lower court getting a hearing in SCOTUS.

    As for DOMA, it should be thrown out, IMO, and I believe it will.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland