Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 34
  1. #1

    salary cap question for Ravor



    well, actually three questions.

    #1) What is the current amount you have us under the cap. I'm at $8.63 using my figures but I believe I saw you say that we were about $7.7 under.

    #2) Are you operating under the total salary cap figure for us as $123.678m? That was the figure I was working off and wanted to make sure that was correct.

    #3) I noticed on your spreadsheet, you had moved Pollards $2.75m into the dead money section. I thought I heard you said that he would be a post June 1st release? My understanding was that, on June 1st releases, they stayed on the Rule of 51 roster until June 1st, at which point they were taken off the books. If I interpreted that correctly (which I probably didn't), that would mean Pollard's $2.75m would count towards to the Ravens cap figure until June 1st, at which point they would remove his $2m salary and eat his $750k 2013 bonus proration . His 2014 and 2015 dead money totals would count towards next years cap.

    Help me out here.




  2. #2

    Re: salary cap question for Ravor

    Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    well, actually three questions.

    #1) What is the current amount you have us under the cap. I'm at $8.63 using my figures but I believe I saw you say that we were about $7.7 under.

    #2) Are you operating under the total salary cap figure for us as $123.678m? That was the figure I was working off and wanted to make sure that was correct.

    #3) I noticed on your spreadsheet, you had moved Pollards $2.75m into the dead money section. I thought I heard you said that he would be a post June 1st release? My understanding was that, on June 1st releases, they stayed on the Rule of 51 roster until June 1st, at which point they were taken off the books. If I interpreted that correctly (which I probably didn't), that would mean Pollard's $2.75m would count towards to the Ravens cap figure until June 1st, at which point they would remove his $2m salary and eat his $750k 2013 bonus proration . His 2014 and 2015 dead money totals would count towards next years cap.

    Help me out here.
    I was thinking the other day that during FA it would be nice to have a sticky thread specific to the cap that can be updated as those numbers change, especially during free agency. It could also be used by the resident in house cap expert to lay out how each signing/cut that occurs impacts the cap moving forward. It could also be used to provide the basics of what dead money is, how bonuses work, how they are attributed to the cap etc. Be a nice go to thread for cap info for old and new users alike and a great place to put the wealth of info Ravor provides in a easy to find place. Deciphering the cap at times seems like a tip into Dante's 7th circle of hell.
    A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,
    -Ray Lewis




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    13,682
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: salary cap question for Ravor

    This article may be helpful and if you look to the right of the screen you can see links to Brian's SC calculator

    http://russellstreetreport.com/boldi...ince-march-12/
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  4. #4

    Re: salary cap question for Ravor

    I have a question also. Prior to signing Joe to a LTC there was a lot of discussion about tagging him -- either for $14M or $19-20M. Many posters suggested that that's what the Ravens were going to do, and in fact should do. But here's the thing: they signed Joe to a contract with a $6.8M cap hit for the upcoming year. Now we're told the Ravens only have $7.2M cap space. And there haven 't been any major signings to date. So according to that, there was just enough cap space to sign Joe to the non-exclusive tag, and then that would have been it. So it appears as if tagging Joe was never really an option, given the current cap figures.




  5. #5

    Re: salary cap question for Ravor

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    I have a question also. Prior to signing Joe to a LTC there was a lot of discussion about tagging him -- either for $14M or $19-20M. Many posters suggested that that's what the Ravens were going to do, and in fact should do. But here's the thing: they signed Joe to a contract with a $6.8M cap hit for the upcoming year. Now we're told the Ravens only have $7.2M cap space. And there haven 't been any major signings to date. So according to that, there was just enough cap space to sign Joe to the non-exclusive tag, and then that would have been it. So it appears as if tagging Joe was never really an option, given the current cap figures.
    We would have had to cut or restructure someone for sure. Which was one of the drawbacks of an exclusive vs non-exclusive, the former would have required more freed space.

    Of course the tag was an option, but obviously a long term deal was always preferable. If Flacco was demanding $24M per year and wouldn't come down from that, you think we would have quickly agreed to that number or let him hit FA untagged rather than apply one of the franchise tags (no matter what kind of maneuvering it required)? I don't.

    If a tag was placed it would have been primarily to buy more negotiating time (over the summer) while not exposing Flacco to free agency. Neither side would have preferred a tag to a 'mutually fair' deal, and thankfully such a deal was reached right before the tag deadline.




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    12,260
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: salary cap question for Ravor

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    I have a question also. Prior to signing Joe to a LTC there was a lot of discussion about tagging him -- either for $14M or $19-20M. Many posters suggested that that's what the Ravens were going to do, and in fact should do. But here's the thing: they signed Joe to a contract with a $6.8M cap hit for the upcoming year. Now we're told the Ravens only have $7.2M cap space. And there haven 't been any major signings to date. So according to that, there was just enough cap space to sign Joe to the non-exclusive tag, and then that would have been it. So it appears as if tagging Joe was never really an option, given the current cap figures.
    It was an option. They just would have had to make some more space to do it. That's the reason why it wasn't an option that anyone wanted to chose. You would have had many more cuts at this point to make it work.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  7. #7

    Re: salary cap question for Ravor

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    This article may be helpful and if you look to the right of the screen you can see links to Brian's SC calculator

    http://russellstreetreport.com/boldi...ince-march-12/
    Oh, I've already read it any tracked the spreadsheet. His is a bit off from mine and I'd imagine that's due to the Pollard situation, which is why I'd like to hear about it.




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Posts
    2,651

    Re: salary cap question for Ravor

    Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Oh, I've already read it any tracked the spreadsheet. His is a bit off from mine and I'd imagine that's due to the Pollard situation, which is why I'd like to hear about it.
    Any particular reasoning your questioning his work? Or are yous just trying to understand it all for yourself? Just weird because I understand it quite well, but I never bother diving down into the figures of everyone unless for a specific reason, like leach for example. Otherwise I'd just roll with Brian's, so just curious as to why you delving so deep into it?




  9. #9

    Re: salary cap question for Ravor

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It was an option. They just would have had to make some more space to do it. That's the reason why it wasn't an option that anyone wanted to chose. You would have had many more cuts at this point to make it work.
    I honestly don't recall people including that reality (the need to restructure) while they were proposing the tag as a preferred option. It was simply stated that the tag would or should be applied. Period. Clearly, that could never have happened without other cuts or restructures. So in truth, it never really was a viable, preferred alternative to begin with.




  10. #10

    Re: salary cap question for Ravor

    Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I'm at $8.63 using my figures but I believe I saw you say that we were about $7.7 under.
    The site overthecap.com is pretty good.

    They have the Ravens at $8,459,254.

    http://overthecap.com/nfl-cap-space.php?Year=2013




  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Any particular reasoning your questioning his work? Or are yous just trying to understand it all for yourself? Just weird because I understand it quite well, but I never bother diving down into the figures of everyone unless for a specific reason, like leach for example. Otherwise I'd just roll with Brian's, so just curious as to why you delving so deep into it?
    Think he is just trying to see why his numbers are off and he stated that it's probably his mistake. Some just want to learn how to figure out cap numbers and how contract affect cap numbers


    Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    WE DON'T NEED YOUR RESPECT BUT WE WILL BEAT UP ON YOU AND TAKE YOUR SOUL!!!!!!!




  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Posts
    2,651

    Re: salary cap question for Ravor

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    I honestly don't recall people including that reality (the need to restructure) while they were proposing the tag as a preferred option. It was simply stated that the tag would or should be applied. Period. Clearly, that could never have happened without other cuts or restructures. So in truth, it never really was a viable, preferred alternative to begin with.
    anybody that had any incling about the cap and how it works knew it would cause massive ripple affects. Many names thrown out there for cuts was boldin, birk, Williams, leach, while all the while knowing we wouldn't get ellerbe, Kruger, or reed back.

    It was a viable option, but would have required a few more moves to make it happen




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland