Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 22

Thread: LaQuan Williams

  1. #1

    LaQuan Williams



    Does anyone think Williams can take over Boldin's role next season? He seemed to have pretty good hands. Of course, he has to stay healthy.
    Al




  2. #2

    Re: LaQuan Williams

    I think he's much closer to being cut than being a starter. He has some talent and physicality as a potential slot receiver, but there's just nothing about what he's shown thus far that would make you think he's ready to be an NFL wide receiver.

    In terms of the players already on the roster, I would say Doss is the favorite to replace Boldin as the starting X receiver--not that he's truly a "replacement," just the guy who will be starting at that position.

    My preference remains to take advantage of the great depth at WR in this draft and find Boldin's replacement there.




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: LaQuan Williams

    I, for one, do not. I think he's overrated in a lot of minds because he is a local feel good story. I think he is a decent special teams guy, but that's about it. I don't think he has a future as a productive WR in the NFL. I like him and his story and wish he would be more than I think he is, but I really don't see it.




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Calvert County
    Posts
    1,903
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: LaQuan Williams

    Williams was barely active this year so no, I don't think he's in line to start or even see much time. I think right now, pre-draft, it's Smith-Doss-Reed as the top three with Jones seeing time also. Would guess that will change post-draft and I would honestly be surprised if Williams even makes the team. I know, Reed? But remember he saw time at WR once he got healthy at the end of last year, leapfrogging everyone but Doss.




  5. #5

    Re: LaQuan Williams

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Williams was barely active this year so no, I don't think he's in line to start or even see much time. I think right now, pre-draft, it's Smith-Doss-Reed as the top three with Jones seeing time also. Would guess that will change post-draft and I would honestly be surprised if Williams even makes the team. I know, Reed? But remember he saw time at WR once he got healthy at the end of last year, leapfrogging everyone but Doss.
    I think the team probably likes Jacoby Jones the most in terms of pure talent as the WR3, but they're not going to give him that many snaps at WR with him returning all kicks and punts, and that's good because he's a better returner than receiver.

    Doss was the guy who split time in 3-wide sets with Jacoby. That suggests to me that if there are no additions at WR, Doss will be the starting X, and will probably move to the slot in 3-wide sets with Jacoby or David Reed playing out wide where they can better use their speed.




  6. #6

    Re: LaQuan Williams

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Williams was barely active this year so no, I don't think he's in line to start or even see much time. I think right now, pre-draft, it's Smith-Doss-Reed as the top three with Jones seeing time also. Would guess that will change post-draft and I would honestly be surprised if Williams even makes the team. I know, Reed? But remember he saw time at WR once he got healthy at the end of last year, leapfrogging everyone but Doss.
    LaQuan has looked good in preseason, but we haven't really gotten to see him in an actual game. Doss also looked great in preseason, but he dropped everything that hit him in the hands during actual games. Reed must have incriminating photos of someone. That guy should have been cut years ago. I hope they don't go into the season with what we have. I can already hear the "Joe is overpaid" gripes. It is quite senseless to invest 120 mil in a QB and give him one receiver that has shown anything in this league and have Oher protecting his blindside.




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,125
    No.

    But I don't think anyone on the staff is expecting him to.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  8. #8

    Re: LaQuan Williams

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    No.

    But I don't think anyone on the staff is expecting him to.
    Nope.

    I think you'll see a combination of Pitta and some other guys in the slot to start the season.

    And hopefully Doss has gotten over his case of alligator arms he had late last year. As I recall, Flacco threaded the needle on two straight pass plays and Doss short-armed both of them.




  9. #9

    Re: LaQuan Williams

    Smith and Jones I'm confident in, of course. Like others have said, hopefully Pitta gets shuffled in too. But Smith-Doss-Reed as 1-2-3? That's ... ugh.
    Thoughts on Ray Rice: http://brafootball.wordpress.com/




  10. #10

    Re: LaQuan Williams

    Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    Smith and Jones I'm confident in, of course. Like others have said, hopefully Pitta gets shuffled in too. But Smith-Doss-Reed as 1-2-3? That's ... ugh.
    I'd like to see reed take snaps in the slot have pitta/reed handle the slot. Smith-F.A.-Jones- doss. draft pick ect..




  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,959
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: LaQuan Williams

    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    LaQuan has looked good in preseason, but we haven't really gotten to see him in an actual game. Doss also looked great in preseason, but he dropped everything that hit him in the hands during actual games. Reed must have incriminating photos of someone. That guy should have been cut years ago. I hope they don't go into the season with what we have. I can already hear the "Joe is overpaid" gripes. It is quite senseless to invest 120 mil in a QB and give him one receiver that has shown anything in this league and have Oher protecting his blindside.
    That's not true about him dropping everything that hit him in the hands. He dropped 3 vdifficult passes
    in the Colts game, and dropped a very difficult pass sometime during the regular season. He did make a few pretty hard catches during the regular season, and had a really nice 39 yard catch while Cameron was still here. He also drew defensive pass interference in both the Broncos and Patriots (both blatant). I'm not saying he's the next Jerry Rice, but I think that he's been written off a bit prematurely because of those drops in the Colts game. He's been the 4th receiver, behind Boldin and Torrey who he had no chance of supplanting unless he played outrageously good. Come on. What player will be very productive at the 4th receiver position in a Cameron-led offense? Hell, Boldin and Torrey in 5 combined seasons couldn't crack 1,000 yards once. I think Doss can be good. He's pretty fast and does have good hands and physicality.




  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: LaQuan Williams

    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    Reed must have incriminating photos of someone. That guy should have been cut years ago.
    Except for one meltdown in one game two seasons ago, what about his on-field performance leads you to this conclusion?

    Granted, his injuries have prevented the Ravens from using him and has slowed his development, but I think the guy still can contribute in a variety of areas. That alone makes him worth keeping - at least as the roster stands now.

    Also, reports out of camp for Reed's first couple seasons consistently said he had great hands and was showing a lot as a WR. Injuries and a log jam of older, more accomplished receivers kept him off the field as an offensive player, but maybe the Ravens think they have something in Reed as a slot receiver. I wouldn't toss dirt on the guy's career just yet.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland