Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 142
  1. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,603

    Re: Rumor: Harbs wanted Reed gone



    Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    There's obviously a limit to that, though, because it's also a business that requires some level of fan base management. Let's say Harbs and Ozzie wanted to cut Ray after last season because he was old and slow, but Ray wanted one more year to try to get over the hump. You think Bisciotti really says "hey, this is your guys' show, go ahead and cut Ray Lewis if that's what you want to do?" I'm not saying he'd write Reed a blank check or anything, just that I don't think he'd let the door be shut on a home grown first ballot Hall of Famer entirely because a fairly replaceable coach didn't like him.
    I totally disagree and this off season proves it's about letting Ozzie do his thing and not what the fans think, even in small part.

    Ray was brought back numerous times because he was valuable to the team and we were able to keep him at the right price. You also have to factor in his leadership on the field. Being the play caller on defense affords you more leverage that most.

    Reed, to some extent, the same, but when his price shot up thanks to free agency, they let him walk and he's a tremendous fan favorite. Likewise to Boldin.

    Fan satisfaction, when it comes to the beginning of the league year, is pretty far off their radar and the past proves it, especially in the Harbs / Ozzie era. They are never out to appease fans and "win in March".
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  2. #26

    Re: Rumor: Harbs wanted Reed gone

    Ohhh Mike..

    He told us after the 2005 season Billick had lost his team... reaction fold?.. not really 13-3.
    He told us Harbaugh lost his team after the texans loss... reaction fold?.. not really Champs.

    Do it Again Mike!




  3. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kent Island
    Posts
    974

    Re: Rumor: Harbs wanted Reed gone

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I totally disagree and this off season proves it's about letting Ozzie do his thing and not what the fans think, even in small part.

    Ray was brought back numerous times because he was valuable to the team and we were able to keep him at the right price. You also have to factor in his leadership on the field. Being the play caller on defense affords you more leverage that most.

    Reed, to some extent, the same, but when his price shot up thanks to free agency, they let him walk and he's a tremendous fan favorite. Likewise to Boldin.

    Fan satisfaction, when it comes to the beginning of the league year, is pretty far off their radar and the past proves it, especially in the Harbs / Ozzie era. They are never out to appease fans and "win in March".
    But that's what I'm saying: To the extent that they "didn't want Ed back," it's because he wouldn't agree to come back at their price, not because he had an attitude issue.




  4. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,603

    Re: Rumor: Harbs wanted Reed gone

    Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    But that's what I'm saying: To the extent that they "didn't want Ed back," it's because he wouldn't agree to come back at their price, not because he had an attitude issue.
    Agreed. I guess I am confused about your "fan base management" comment then.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  5. #29

    Re: Rumor: Harbs wanted Reed gone

    Allow me to untangle this web of shit.

    Preston wrote it? Well, then that's all you need to know on the topic. Donut man doesn't get paid unless he writes bullshit and you people eat it up. I swear I'd love to have his job. Write NFL related fiction, get press access to all the players and free tickets. Apparently the job doesn't come with a gym membership though.




  6. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kent Island
    Posts
    974

    Re: Rumor: Harbs wanted Reed gone

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Goob posted a piece that agreed with what Preston said...but I still don't buy it 100%

    Do I think Harbaugh wanted an upgrade at S? Yes. Do I think Harbaugh would've hugged and welcome Ed Reed back on a 6m/3year deal? Absolutely. First off, Ozzie isn't handing over the car keys to John without having the driver's ed passenger brake (anyone know what i'm talking about?). He might let Harbaugh drive some of the personell moves, but it's still Ozzie's JOB to decide which groceries we get and how much we pay and which store we get them from. John just tells him which groceries he wants, Ozzie goes from there. So even if Harbaugh is sitting there going "I don't want that crazy hobo in my locker room anymore", it's still Ozzie's call, Ozzie isn't going to say "man, that's wrong...but you DID just win a Super Bowl, so...." Second off, I don't think Ed Reed would've gone and said about him having a good relationship with Harbaugh and exchanging texts with him the day of signing if Harbaugh really wanted him the hell out of here. He had no NEED to be gracious then.
    Plus: winning heals a lot of minor rifts in a clubhouse. Given the team's success in the last five seasons and the fact that Reed remains a productive enough player who also seems to do a lot of coaching on the field and on the sideline, it would be extremely telling if Harbaugh jumped on the first chance to get rid of him no matter what salary he was asking, and Harbaugh/Ozzie just don't seem that petty.




  7. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,328
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Rumor: Harbs wanted Reed gone

    Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    There's obviously a limit to that, though, because it's also a business that requires some level of fan base management. Let's say Harbs and Ozzie wanted to cut Ray after last season because he was old and slow, but Ray wanted one more year to try to get over the hump. You think Bisciotti really says "hey, this is your guys' show, go ahead and cut Ray Lewis if that's what you want to do?" I'm not saying he'd write Reed a blank check or anything, just that I don't think he'd let the door be shut on a home grown first ballot Hall of Famer entirely because a fairly replaceable coach didn't like him.
    Ravens fans are already satisfied with a Super Bowl victory. That glow carries over for a few years.
    If you believe that Ravens fans do not trust their management to continue their winning ways, while making difficult decisions like releasing veteran players who will be in the ROH/HOF, you're wrong. NFL football is not only a business, but fans want to see winning seasons keep rolling along as long as the players wear purple and black. Harbaugh is 5 for 5 as Head Coach in playoff appearances. IMO your argument is thin ... Bc




  8. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kent Island
    Posts
    974

    Re: Rumor: Harbs wanted Reed gone

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Agreed. I guess I am confused about your "fan base management" comment then.
    It was a poorly worded hypothetical: Say Reed wanted to stay in Baltimore and was willing to take $1-2 million a year to do it, but Harbaugh went to Bisciotti and said that he didn't want Reed back at any price because he was too mouthy. I'm saying I don't see Bisciotti agreeing to it in part because it would be bad business to totally run a guy like Reed out of town on a rail like that. To say nothing of the questions I would think it would raise about Harbaugh's judgment and professionalism!

    IOW...I don't buy the idea that Harbaugh had Reed whacked at all.




  9. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kent Island
    Posts
    974

    Re: Rumor: Harbs wanted Reed gone

    Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Ravens fans are already satisfied with a Super Bowl victory. That glow carries over for a few years.
    If you believe that Ravens fans do not trust their management to continue their winning ways, while making difficult decisions like releasing veteran players who will be in the ROH/HOF, you're wrong. NFL football is not only a business, but fans want to see winning seasons keep rolling along as long as the players wear purple and black. Harbaugh is 5 for 5 as Head Coach in playoff appearances. IMO your argument is thin ... Bc

    My argument that...Harbaugh is too good of a coach to run a guy off of his team outright because he's a Hall of Fame veteran who vocalizes his opinions and the coach finds that threatening/annoying?




  10. #34

    Re: Rumor: Harbs wanted Reed gone

    A whole lot of smoke with these personnel moves. I'm sure there isn't any fire.




  11. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Balmer Merlin Hon
    Posts
    2,838
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Rumor: Harbs wanted Reed gone

    Preston is a washing-machine agitator at the bottom of a septic tank.

    "King of Conjecture", my ass. Mikey Bag of Donuts/Sad Sack of Krispy-Kreme-Krumbz/Shit-For-Brainless isn't intelligent enough to know what a "conjecture" is, let alone spell it. His level of competence sits somewhere around the able-to-fling-poo line.




  12. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    363

    Re: Rumor: Harbs wanted Reed gone

    PFT + Mike Preston = Bullshit.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland