Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Results 109 to 120 of 124

Thread: McKinnie ?

  1. #109
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    4,360

    Re: McKinnie ?



    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    False.

    People are acting like because Long is tall, he can play LT. If that was the case then why was he the LG at Oregon? Furthermore, he had some of the shortest arms out of any OL'man in this draft. Long could be a very good guard, but would probably fail as a LT or RT.
    Long's arms are shorter than one would like, but only 0.7" shorter than Terron Armstead, who everyone is jizzing about. Long's shuttle time is also quicker than Luke Joeckel's as well, so the guy can move laterally in space and has good footwork.

    I think Long could play LT not because he is tall, but because he played LT at Oregon before they moved him into guard. He was also projected to play LT this year until he went into the draft. The truth is that nobody really knows what Long can really do because he only played on the offensive line for one year. He went to Oregon as a defensive lineman and Chip Kelly switched him.

    The guy is talented but raw and inexperienced. So maybe he won't end up as a tackle in the NFL, but it's not nearly as clear cut as you make it out to be.





  2. #110
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    23,154
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post

    Long's arms are shorter than one would like, but only 0.7" shorter than Terron Armstead, who everyone is jizzing about. Long's shuttle time is also quicker than Luke Joeckel's as well, so the guy can move laterally in space and has good footwork.

    I think Long could play LT not because he is tall, but because he played LT at Oregon before they moved him into guard. He was also projected to play LT this year until he went into the draft. The truth is that nobody really knows what Long can really do because he only played on the offensive line for one year. He went to Oregon as a defensive lineman and Chip Kelly switched him.

    The guy is talented but raw and inexperienced. So maybe he won't end up as a tackle in the NFL, but it's not nearly as clear cut as you make it out to be.
    He was ok at LT, but excelled at guard. Why reinvent the wheel? If he was a stud LT do you think he would have been moved inside for a freshman?

    And I am not jizzing all over Armstead. Guys clamoring for him as a first rounder are just impressed with his combine numbers.

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/




  3. #111
    No jizzing please.
    Yea at #17--running list: Beckham Jr, Dennard, Donald, Gilbert
    Nay at #17--running list: Clinton-Dix, Ebron, Hageman, Jernigan, Lee, Mosley, Pryor
    On the fence at #17: Cooks, Martin

    Having fun talking football on Twitter @BigPlayReceiver




  4. #112
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    23,154
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: McKinnie ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    No jizzing please.
    Agreed.


    Keep the jizzing behind closed doors.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/




  5. #113
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    4,360

    Re: McKinnie ?

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    He was ok at LT, but excelled at guard. Why reinvent the wheel? If he was a stud LT do you think he would have been moved inside for a freshman?

    And I am not jizzing all over Armstead. Guys clamoring for him as a first rounder are just impressed with his combine numbers.
    I didn't mean to insinuate that you were creaming over Armstead, but some people are. You've been much more clinical and less emotional than most people in your analysis of players. And I agree with you about Kyle Long - he would probably be better inside than at tackle. However, I was responding to the post asking which guys out there might be drafted as tackles. And somewhat like Barrett Jones, it isn't out of the realm of possibility (although Jones is more proven at that position), even though it may not be ideal.




  6. #114
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    23,154
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: McKinnie ?

    Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I didn't mean to insinuate that you were creaming over Armstead, but some people are. You've been much more clinical and less emotional than most people in your analysis of players. And I agree with you about Kyle Long - he would probably be better inside than at tackle. However, I was responding to the post asking which guys out there might be drafted as tackles. And somewhat like Barrett Jones, it isn't out of the realm of possibility (although Jones is more proven at that position), even though it may not be ideal.
    Gotcha.

    Yea, this draft has about 2 or 3 guys that are legitimate LT prospects...a lot of OT's in college who are better suited for guard...and then a lot of 'what if' guys.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/




  7. #115
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    687

    Re: McKinnie ?

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Gotcha.

    Yea, this draft has about 2 or 3 guys that are legitimate LT prospects...a lot of OT's in college who are better suited for guard...and then a lot of 'what if' guys.
    Yeah outside of the top 3 and maybe Watson after developing a year or two, I don't think there are any prospects who project to LT very well this year. I'd rather us target someone like Barrett Jones who can play the other 4 spots along the line at a high level.




  8. #116
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    4,360

    Re: McKinnie ?

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Gotcha.

    Yea, this draft has about 2 or 3 guys that are legitimate LT prospects...a lot of OT's in college who are better suited for guard...and then a lot of 'what if' guys.
    Agreed.

    If the Ravens don't have one of those three LT guys (Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson) fall into their laps, they might just be better off grabbing a mid-rounder and hoping they can develop him. And that's why I think the Ravens have the potential of having a great draft, because for just about all their positions of need (safety, linebacker, wide receiver), there are several interchangeable parts between the 2nd and 5th rounds.




  9. #117

    Re: McKinnie ?

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Gotcha.

    Yea, this draft has about 2 or 3 guys that are legitimate LT prospects...a lot of OT's in college who are better suited for guard...and then a lot of 'what if' guys.
    I do think that of the "what if" guys the ones that intrigue me the most are Chris Faulk, Melenik Watson and Barrett Jones.
    A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,
    -Ray Lewis




  10. #118
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    687

    Re: McKinnie ?

    Yeah this is the kind of draft where the really good GMs shine. No really elite players, and most players from the mid 1st to 5th round are basically interchangeable.

    Luckily for us we have the best in the business.




  11. #119

    Re: McKinnie ?

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Gotcha.

    Yea, this draft has about 2 or 3 guys that are legitimate LT prospects...a lot of OT's in college who are better suited for guard...and then a lot of 'what if' guys.
    This is why I think there's a good chance they go with a new LG and move KO to LT. KO may end up being the best of a lot of not so great options.




  12. #120
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    23,154
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post

    I do think that of the "what if" guys the ones that intrigue me the most are Chris Faulk, Melenik Watson and Barrett Jones.
    I like Faulk and I really like Jones, though I think he would be a better guard/center than a LT.

    I'm not really sure about Watson yet.

    I like Quessenberry too.

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland