Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 37 to 46 of 46
  1. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    12,819
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Kevin Byrne slams Mike Preston over his Reed comments



    Quote Originally Posted by Bl1tz View Post
    People read the Byrne report?
    I do...It's a nice perspective. So what if he's a PR guy? He offers unique insight to some of the hidden moments of the team.

    In this case, it should be taken as an opinion piece. But to me, if the report about not wanting Reed back was true, why not just stay silent about it? There was no "need" for him to come out and write that piece. He did it because he wanted to address it. I'd say that while you can't take it as the total truth, it's probably more true than not.
    .
    .
    FOR REED, BIRK, BOLDIN, RAY, ART, TEVIN, OJ, and BALTIMORE...
    SUPER BOWL 47 CHAMPION RAVENS!!!!!!

    "We don't make it easy, but that's the way the city of Baltimore is, and that's the way we are. We did this for them back home." - Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVP


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  2. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Eastern Shore
    Posts
    1,764

    Re: Kevin Byrne slams Mike Preston over his Reed comments

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    He did it because he wanted to address it. I'd say that while you can't take it as the total truth, it's probably more true than not.
    Ed Reed is such a fan favorite in Baltimore I'm sure Byrne felt the need to address it on their behalf. While their could be some truth to Preston's assertion, it is not based in fact. It is based in opinion, and Byrne knows very well this is Preston's MO.
    "Screw it, let's ride"!




  3. #39

    Re: Kevin Byrne slams Mike Preston over his Reed comments

    Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    Ed Reed is such a fan favorite in Baltimore I'm sure Byrne felt the need to address it on their behalf. While their could be some truth to Preston's assertion, it is not based in fact. It is based in opinion, and Byrne knows very well this is Preston's MO.
    Exactly. This was about getting a message out to the fans that love Ed Reed. Reed knows that Preston is full of shit... but for the fans out there that don't know Preston's reputation for being a bullshitter, the team felt the need to correct the lies.




  4. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,108
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Kevin Byrne slams Mike Preston over his Reed comments

    A distinction needs to be made here. Preston was not reporting facts...and he also was not providing his opinion. He was purely speculating. There is a difference. See my post from the Boldin thread.

    Preston could have written a perfectly acceptable piece where he made it clear that there is a lot of speculation that Harbaugh cut Pollard because of his clubhouse lawyering, and then gone on to give his opinion that--if this speculation is true--a coach can't tolerate constant defiance...or a coach should welcome a little defiance if it brings the team together.

    I'm fine with Preston having opinions as long as he's clear if he's basing his opinion on fact versus rumor.

    It's fun to debate how much leeway an NFL coach should give players. It's not fun to debate Preston's theories about what Harbaugh may have been thinking.




  5. #41
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    8,460
    Blog Entries
    4
    @AlbertBreer: The Ed Reed situation as I understood it having covered it -- The Ravens told him how far they'd go $$-wise, and let him hit the market.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk




  6. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    5,122

    Re: Kevin Byrne slams Mike Preston over his Reed comments

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    As for what the Ravens offered, we 'believe' the Ravens were offering Reed 3 million per year, do we have any confirmation for that?

    The way Ray was dealt with was being given an offer before he entered FA. The team told him to go out there and see what he could find and that if he could not find anything, he could come back to that offer. We don't know if Ed was handled the same way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    @AlbertBreer: The Ed Reed situation as I understood it having covered it -- The Ravens told him how far they'd go $$-wise, and let him hit the market.
    Well, there you go. I'm guessing that's as close as any of us is going to get to a confirmation. Just live with it.




  7. #43

    Re: Kevin Byrne slams Mike Preston over his Reed comments

    The Ravens would have been better served just ignoring the column. A canned and weak defense (with a healthy heap of feigned indignation) from the PR guy is worse than silence.




  8. #44

    Re: Kevin Byrne slams Mike Preston over his Reed comments

    Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    The Ravens would have been better served just ignoring the column. A canned and weak defense (with a healthy heap of feigned indignation) from the PR guy is worse than silence.
    They wouldn't have had to do it if national outlets like PFT didn't pick up the story and post Preston's opinion as fact.




  9. #45

    Re: Kevin Byrne slams Mike Preston over his Reed comments

    Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    The Ravens would have been better served just ignoring the column. A canned and weak defense (with a healthy heap of feigned indignation) from the PR guy is worse than silence.
    I disagree. Sometimes you have to call BS. This is one of those times.




  10. #46

    Re: Kevin Byrne slams Mike Preston over his Reed comments

    Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    The Ravens would have been better served just ignoring the column. A canned and weak defense (with a healthy heap of feigned indignation) from the PR guy is worse than silence.
    The Ravens had no choice as just the implication that the Ravens made a personality based (and on the surface, vindictive move) hurts the image of the franchise. If nothing else it puts donut boy on notice that his lies won't be tolerated. The Ravens could take the next step and deny donut boy access. Ask Matt Simon if he'd like a second chance to be used by donut boy...

    Byrne not only responded to donut boy, but he dressed him down in a very thorough and professional manner...




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland