Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
Results 109 to 120 of 160
  1. #109
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Detroit Michigan
    Posts
    1,906


    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Except the chain of cause and effect you're describing breaks down at the quantum level. It's not a simple as saying that something had to knock down the first domino.
    Partially true.

    It breaks down at the quantum level because our knowledge of quantum physics is currently exhausted. So essentially, at the quantum level, we've replaced 'X' caused 'Y' with "quantum physics tells us nothing caused 'Y'". The assumption here is that quantum physics at its present state is the irreducible fundamental in nature. It's just way too young of a science to make any such claim. You'd think we'd have learned our lesson about throwing around absolutes, especially considering the very same branch of science is just getting over the Newtonian "Clockwork" paradigm that was thought to be the absolute in nature.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

    –Eleanor Roosevelt




  2. #110
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    24,266
    Blog Entries
    3
    Isnt it possible that the first domino just fell?

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  3. #111
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Detroit Michigan
    Posts
    1,906
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Isnt it possible that the first domino just fell?

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Absolutely.

    The problem is the hubris of science in thinking that it can prove this. To think otherwise, as I outlined in a few of my previous posts (specifically with regards to Gödel), is a misunderstaning of the notion of proof and its capabilities (this is also what is completely eluding our friend aka). Very simply put, proof is entirely referential. I.e. 'A' because 'B', 'B' because 'C', 'C' because 'D', etc. We are hard wired to think in these terms, and this is manifested by the prize jewel of our abilities to "prove": formal systems. The only absolute proof is that proof itself relies entirely on inference.


    If there is an absolute truth to be had, it is futile to think our abilities to "prove" can in any attempt ultimately apprehend it. This is not mysticism, it is scientific fact.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

    –Eleanor Roosevelt




  4. #112
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,123

    Re: How can anyone still believe in God

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Isnt it possible that the first domino just fell?

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    My question, how did the domino get there?
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  5. #113
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    24,266
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post

    My question, how did the domino get there?
    Chicken or the egg?

    In the end, they're both delicious.

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  6. #114
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,144
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Chicken or the egg?

    In the end, they're both delicious.
    Chicken > Egg

    You can't parmesan an egg.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  7. #115
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    24,266
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

    Chicken > Egg

    You can't parmesan an egg.
    Egg goes into the pasta...and depending on the recipe, the batter used to bread the chicken.

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  8. #116
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    909

    Re: How can anyone still believe in God

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    Absolutely.

    The problem is the hubris of science in thinking that it can prove this. To think otherwise, as I outlined in a few of my previous posts (specifically with regards to Gödel), is a misunderstaning of the notion of proof and its capabilities (this is also what is completely eluding our friend aka). Very simply put, proof is entirely referential. I.e. 'A' because 'B', 'B' because 'C', 'C' because 'D', etc. We are hard wired to think in these terms, and this is manifested by the prize jewel of our abilities to "prove": formal systems. The only absolute proof is that proof itself relies entirely on inference.


    If there is an absolute truth to be had, it is futile to think our abilities to "prove" can in any attempt ultimately apprehend it. This is not mysticism, it is scientific fact.
    Nice! I thought for a minute my head would explode, but then again, one must clear the mind to get rid of the surrounding noise. I was able to understand you...I believe.
    I have recently grabbed a copy of Kybalion, by Three Initiates.
    And your post makes sense to me.




  9. #117

    Re: How can anyone still believe in God

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Chicken > Egg

    You can't parmesan an egg.
    But can you devil a chicken?

    btu back to your point, is there Buffalo egg wings?




  10. #118
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Detroit Michigan
    Posts
    1,906
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    Nice! I thought for a minute my head would explode, but then again, one must clear the mind to get rid of the surrounding noise. I was able to understand you...I believe.
    I have recently grabbed a copy of Kybalion, by Three Initiates.
    And your post makes sense to me.
    There's a very interesting documentary floating around online called "Dangerous Knowledge", I'd highly recommend checking it out. It elaborates much more on the ideas I was referring to.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

    –Eleanor Roosevelt




  11. #119

    Re: How can anyone still believe in God

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    So, by than by that very standard, your belief of how the universe started is also, invalid. Correct?
    When and where did I ever state my belief on how the universe started?




  12. #120

    Re: How can anyone still believe in God

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    More, older Aliens.
    That actually made me LOL.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland