Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 72 of 160
  1. #61

    Re: How can anyone still believe in God



    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    This post reminds me of this
    Cool story, bro.

    Care to respond to the meat of what I said?




  2. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,629
    Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    I will always have the right to expect the people I share this world with to be as logical possible. If "faith is an absence of logic," which I will love forever that you said, then I will always be disappointed with the blindly faithful.



    You're right. It should be dismissed just as summarily as every other illogical belief anyone has ever held.



    I do have people I love. But please do not tell me what I know. I do not "know love is deeper" than anything. It may make you feel good to say it, but saying love is deeper than whatever does not make it deeper than whatever.

    Everything we feel--every single thing--is brain-based. If you have some way of doing or feeling anything that does not relate to your brain, which is a tangle of tissue and chemicals, then please tell us.
    So, for you, love is nothing more than a tangle of tissue and chemicals?

    What you seem to be saying is that you can only find meaning in things you can prove.

    What you're doing though, and you don't realize it, is making yourself deliberately blind to obvious meaning in all cases where meaning exists but proof is difficult, or even impossible.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  3. #63
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,200

    Re: How can anyone still believe in God

    Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    Cool story, bro.

    Care to respond to the meat of what I said?
    Not really.

    I don't feel like somoene telling me they're not meaning to offend me and then turn around and tell me basically I am a small-minded nit wit because I don't have explanation for how everything that is came to be, so I just made up a fairy tale and called it God. But you said no offense, so it's all good.

    To me small minded nit wits are ones who can't grasp that there may be something bigger than themselves while they point and laugh at others. Not that anyone here is doing that though.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  4. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,629

    Re: How can anyone still believe in God

    This thread went from people of differing views, personal opinions and respectful debate all sharing their positions in a live and let live envionment to a lecture on one persons supposed and not so vailed superiority and how wrong the "rest of us" are.

    Very disapointing and very much so like the Mormon who comes to my home, lectruing me on how everything in my life is wrong.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  5. #65

    Re: How can anyone still believe in God

    Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post

    You're saying every reaction needs an action to have caused it.

    So, what caused god?

    Oh, ... nothing caused god?

    So, more accurately, every reaction needs an action except for the pet causes you like. (Classic example of special pleading, a logical fallacy.)
    YOu jsut stumbled on the hilosophical "proof" of god.

    All of history is a series of cause and effect reactions. That much is fact. NOthing spontaneously acts without something to cause that action. "God" is the word for the very first cause, which had no precursor cause. Merging a few topics here, would lead modern philosophers to determine that God WAS the infinitely small, infinitely dense ball of matter that imploded to become our universe.

    Ands BTW, the big bang is NOT settled science, as "Dark Matter" is a new concept used to explain why the universe is NOT expanding in a way that occurs from an explosion.




  6. #66
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,121
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: How can anyone still believe in God

    The big bang is a term coined by Sir Fred Hoyle in a BBC radio interview in 1939.
    He was an opponent of it. Many believed it was a joke but he insisted that he was just
    trying to give a picture to his radio audience. The media didn't get it and ran with it-lol.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-23-2013 at 03:36 PM.
    Pic of a natural act: UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU. THE PAST IS NOT DEAD, IN FACT, IT IS NOT EVEN PAST.' WILLIAM FAULKNER.




  7. #67

    Re: How can anyone still believe in God

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Not really.

    I don't feel like somoene telling me they're not meaning to offend me and then turn around and tell me basically I am a small-minded nit wit because I don't have explanation for how everything that is came to be, so I just made up a fairy tale and called it God. But you said no offense, so it's all good.

    To me small minded nit wits are ones who can't grasp that there may be something bigger than themselves while they point and laugh at others. Not that anyone here is doing that though.
    It's not my job to make you feel smart. I wasn't trying to make you feel dumb, either, but the fact I made you feel like a
    "nitwit" is not something I can control. I'd apologize for it, but 1) you'd probably say it was insincere, and 2) it seems like you just have really thin skin.

    I presented my argument. If your feelings are too hurt to respond to the meat of it, which was neutral and just explained a lot of things you brought up, that ain't my problem. You're an adult. You should be able to fight through being butthurt to respond to points in a conversation.

    Trust me: I fully "grasp that there may be something bigger than" I am. I just asked people here to prove it. No one can. I'm beyond pointing and laughing at people. But I do think many of the posters on this particular thread have been irrational.




  8. #68

    Re: How can anyone still believe in God

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Ands BTW, the big bang is NOT settled science, as "Dark Matter" is a new concept used to explain why the universe is NOT expanding in a way that occurs from an explosion.
    Didn't say it was settled. Said a preponderance of evidence suggests that it happened.




  9. #69
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,200

    Re: How can anyone still believe in God

    Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    It's not my job to make you feel smart. I wasn't trying to make you feel dumb, either, but the fact I made you feel like a
    "nitwit" is not something I can control. I'd apologize for it, but 1) you'd probably say it was insincere, and 2) it seems like you just have really thin skin.

    I presented my argument. If your feelings are too hurt to respond to the meat of it, which was neutral and just explained a lot of things you brought up, that ain't my problem. You're an adult. You should be able to fight through being butthurt to respond to points in a conversation.

    Trust me: I fully "grasp that there may be something bigger than" I am. I just asked people here to prove it. No one can. I'm beyond pointing and laughing at people. But I do think many of the posters on this particular thread have been irrational.
    I'd didn't say you made me feel any way. I said I don't feel like someone telling me, not I don't feel like someone making me feel like. You should re read what I wrote.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  10. #70

    Re: How can anyone still believe in God

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I'd didn't say you made me feel any way. I said I don't feel like someone telling me, not I don't feel like someone making me feel like. You should re read what I wrote.
    I asked you if you cared to respond to the actual point of what I said. You said, "Not really." Then you kept reiterating the phrase "small-minded nitwit" as if I had actually said it. Since I didn't say it, I'm led to believe I made you feel that way.

    And you continue to seem butthurt by continuing to not respond to the actual point.




  11. #71
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,200

    Re: How can anyone still believe in God

    Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    I asked you if you cared to respond to the actual point of what I said. You said, "Not really." Then you kept reiterating the phrase "small-minded nitwit" as if I had actually said it. Since I didn't say it, I'm led to believe I made you feel that way.

    And you continue to seem butthurt by continuing to not respond to the actual point.
    Thanks for the summarization, but you could just read what I wrote, instead of trying to justify the continued pettiness of your responses.

    I'll respond to the point. The point of this thread is how can anyone still believe in God.

    The question is asked that way because no one can prove (as per your request) that God does or does not exist. Also no one can prove how the universe and subsequently we came to exist. You believe science proves or suggest there is no God, as jonboy pointed out " All of history is a series of cause and effect reactions. That much is fact. Nothing spontaneously acts without something to cause that action. " So something or someone had to start it. I believe it was God, you don't, I respect that, can't you respect others do without petty childish antagonizing responses?
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  12. #72

    Re: How can anyone still believe in God

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Thanks for the summarization, but you could just read what I wrote, instead of trying to justify the continued pettiness of your responses. I believe it was God, you don't, I respect that, can't you respect others do without petty childish antagonizing responses?
    I summarized to show why I felt your feelings were hurt.

    Petty? Childish? Antagonizing? At worst, I've had a little snark. I've said nothing that was disrespectful.

    I'm not going to handle people with kid gloves just because this section of my favorite Ravens website is an echo chamber filled with conservative religious people.

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    as jonboy pointed out " All of history is a series of cause and effect reactions. That much is fact. Nothing spontaneously acts without something to cause that action. " So something or someone had to start it.
    Jonboy pointed it out and Sirdowski did before him. I remain unimpressed. Because the second you say, "Nothing spontaneously acts without something to cause that action" and then say there IS something that spontaneously acts without something to cause that action (god) your point is invalid.

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I believe it was God
    Cool. I just don't think you have a good reason, since every reason that has been presented in this thread has been poetic, metaphorical, or a based on a logical fallacy.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland