Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 30
  1. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,140


    Read up on Dr John Lott then.

    Numerous study's (all of which have been replicated) all pointing to the central premise "More guns, less crime".

    His book is titled just that.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  2. #14

    Re: Another Gun Myth Exposed

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Very valid point. How do you track a crime or shooting that doesn't take place?
    especially when it doesn't fit the Maintream Media's incredibly liberal agenda. they hushed that Oregon incident as best they could.




  3. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,123

    Re: Another Gun Myth Exposed

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    especially when it doesn't fit the Maintream Media's incredibly liberal agenda. they hushed that Oregon incident as best they could.
    Yup. I remember about a week after that happened I said to myself "what ever happened with that shooting in Oregon". Guess those people who died there aren't as important... since they can't be used for a political agenda.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  4. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    6,778

    Re: Another Gun Myth Exposed

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Read up on Dr John Lott then.

    Numerous study's (all of which have been replicated) all pointing to the central premise "More guns, less crime".

    His book is titled just that.
    I'll look it up and give it a read.
    "I got this." - Justin Tucker




  5. #17

    Re: Another Gun Myth Exposed

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    "The overwhelming majority (almost 90 percent) of officers believe that casualties would be decreased if armed citizens were present at the onset of an active-shooter incident."
    Thats not the same as saying they feel citizens should be armed though. Saying casualties would be less is an obvious truth, but that doesnt mean they agree all civilians should be armed by that statement. mixing two things here. Obviously if theres more guns there to stop the scene before police even arrive casualties would be less. whether that means all of them agree that its in the best interests of everyone for that to be the case or not is more complex than that. that specific scenario, apparently. broad spectrum im sure that varies.
    -JAB




  6. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,140
    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Thats not the same as saying they feel citizens should be armed though. Saying casualties would be less is an obvious truth, but that doesnt mean they agree all civilians should be armed by that statement. mixing two things here. Obviously if theres more guns there to stop the scene before police even arrive casualties would be less. whether that means all of them agree that its in the best interests of everyone for that to be the case or not is more complex than that. that specific scenario, apparently. broad spectrum im sure that varies.
    Read the article / study in its entirety.

    It's very clear the vast majority of the street cops surveyed want just that.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  7. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,123

    Re: Another Gun Myth Exposed

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Read the article / study in its entirety.

    It's very clear the vast majority of the street cops surveyed want just that.
    For what it's worth I have 3 friends in law enforcement who all agree with this. Small sample size but 3 for 3 ain't bad.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  8. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,140
    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    For what it's worth I have 3 friends in law enforcement who all agree with this. Small sample size but 3 for 3 ain't bad.
    Likewise.

    I got that study off the Facebook page of a cop friend of mine who agrees. He's a Maryland State Trooper and he had 25-30 comments on his page, all in agreement.

    I know a couple of city cops who feel their job would be immensely easier if people in Bmore were allowed to carry.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  9. #21

    Re: Another Gun Myth Exposed

    Like I said before I have multiple friends in the field and its split a lot more evenly than that. Makes it a little harder to believe even if it is a smaller sample size.
    -JAB




  10. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,140
    Dr Lott's second book, "The Bias Against Guns" delves into this as well.

    His sample size was a touch smaller but had similar findings.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  11. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,123

    Re: Another Gun Myth Exposed

    Since we're on the topics of gun myths....

    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/s...-election.html
    Currently, only people who buy guns through federally licensed dealers have to undergo a criminal background check, leaving a loophole for some online and gun show shoppers.
    HR, correct me if I am wrong, but if you buy any gun online even on an auction site, it can't be shipped to your house, you have to buy it from a licensed dealer, correct?

    Also, as far as the gun show loophole, here in NC if you sell a handgun to someone, you are required to get the permit from their local Sheriff's office just like if you were a retailer, otherwise you just broke the law.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  12. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,140

    Re: Another Gun Myth Exposed

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Since we're on the topics of gun myths....

    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/s...-election.html


    HR, correct me if I am wrong, but if you buy any gun online even on an auction site, it can't be shipped to your house, you have to buy it from a licensed dealer, correct?
    That's correct. If you buy a gun online, you have to find a dealer in your area with a Federal Firearms License ("FFL") to which the weapon can be sent. Once you make the online purchase, the seller will ship to that dealer only upon verification of their FFL. When you your weapon arrives, you have to produce ID proving the gun can then be handed off to you. Most FFL dealers will charge you a fee on top of whatever you purchased for the firearm.

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Also, as far as the gun show loophole, here in NC if you sell a handgun to someone, you are required to get the permit from their local Sheriff's office just like if you were a retailer, otherwise you just broke the law.
    That varies from state to state. Texas has no requirement from person to person. The way the Manchin Senate bill is written, it would require something similar to what you have in NC. There's also a carve out for family gifts, allowing weapons to be moved amongst family members without notification to the government.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland