Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 25 to 30 of 30
  1. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,128

    Re: Another Gun Myth Exposed



    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    That's correct. If you buy a gun online, you have to find a dealer in your area with a Federal Firearms License ("FFL") to which the weapon can be sent. Once you make the online purchase, the seller will ship to that dealer only upon verification of their FFL. When you your weapon arrives, you have to produce ID proving the gun can then be handed off to you. Most FFL dealers will charge you a fee on top of whatever you purchased for the firearm.
    I was wondering if the media is perpetuating a falsehood by saying there is a loophole with online purchases, which they are, UNLESS, there are any states where you don't have to produce a permit for the gun you are buying.

    Here in NC, the only gun I know you have to produce a permit for is a handgun, whether you buy it online and then pick it up form the dealer or buy directly from the dealer. I would imagine that's the case for every state.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  2. #26

    Re: Another Gun Myth Exposed

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I was wondering if the media is perpetuating a falsehood by saying there is a loophole with online purchases, which they are, UNLESS, there are any states where you don't have to produce a permit for the gun you are buying.

    Here in NC, the only gun I know you have to produce a permit for is a handgun, whether you buy it online and then pick it up form the dealer or buy directly from the dealer. I would imagine that's the case for every state.
    I know that is the case for a handgun in MD, unsure about a long gun.
    IT was enough of a hurdle, that i had no interest in buying either of my handguns on line. It's jsut a personal preference to me that it is "poor form" to buy a handgun online and pay my LOCAL gunstore only a token fee to file the FFL paperwork. It wasn't worth the roughly $50 in total savings to be the cheapo that wouldn't support his local retailer over 10% or less fo the purchase price.




  3. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,128

    Re: Another Gun Myth Exposed

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I know that is the case for a handgun in MD, unsure about a long gun.
    IT was enough of a hurdle, that i had no interest in buying either of my handguns on line. It's jsut a personal preference to me that it is "poor form" to buy a handgun online and pay my LOCAL gunstore only a token fee to file the FFL paperwork. It wasn't worth the roughly $50 in total savings to be the cheapo that wouldn't support his local retailer over 10% or less fo the purchase price.
    To be honest, I haven't found it a savings at all. Most stores are going to charge $50 just for being the middle man, after the online store raises the price the advertise because you're not paying cash, you end up paying more...
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  4. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,196
    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I was wondering if the media is perpetuating a falsehood by saying there is a loophole with online purchases, which they are, UNLESS, there are any states where you don't have to produce a permit for the gun you are buying.

    Here in NC, the only gun I know you have to produce a permit for is a handgun, whether you buy it online and then pick it up form the dealer or buy directly from the dealer. I would imagine that's the case for every state.
    I think they are calling it a loop hole in the sense that the background check for the purchase would be dependent on the state from which the weapon was purchased. I don't think it has to do with permitting.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  5. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,196
    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    To be honest, I haven't found it a savings at all. Most stores are going to charge $50 just for being the middle man, after the online store raises the price the advertise because you're not paying cash, you end up paying more...
    Yeah. From an economic standpoint, I never understood buying a weapon online. As you pointed out, it doesn't make sense.

    I'd only consider it if I knew the weapon well or it was a collectors piece.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  6. #30

    Re: Another Gun Myth Exposed

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Yeah. From an economic standpoint, I never understood buying a weapon online. As you pointed out, it doesn't make sense.

    I'd only consider it if I knew the weapon well or it was a collectors piece.
    If I could NOT fidn what I was lookign for lcally, I would consider it. And not in the "glocks are scarce right now" sense. More along the lines of somethign being rare, etc, not well ditributed. If I were to say, want a Red Jacket piston drive AR, I would first go to a few locl gunshops, and see if they could orde it wholesale for me, and would agree to the direct from manufacturer pricing, plus fee. IF they could order it wholesale and profit mroe then the fee then obvioulsy I would do it that way. If they ordered it at the same price as I could, then I would certainly order it and have it shipped to them to do the FFl paperwork.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland