Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 49 to 60 of 119
  1. #49

    Re: WR Situation -- How bad is it?



    Quote Originally Posted by celticrob View Post
    I hear this a bunch in regards to Doss. What games stand out to you where he had drops? I can only remember the Indianapolis game, where there were some passes in the end zone. Joe targeted him twice and both would have been tough catches.
    He was targeted 3 times in that game, no catches. He "dropped" 2 in the end zone. That is what I recall. Targeted 20 times in his career, 7 catches. He was only active in 6 of 16 regular season games. I recall both of those end zone balls were catchable. Maybe not perfect throws, but catchable. LaQuan Williams, an undrafted free agent, was active 11 games last year. Maybe this was Special team related, but to say Doss has shown us anything so far as a wide out is a stretch.

    I hope he comes back and proves me wrong, but I think anyone who says he is an adequate replacement for Boldin is basing this on their heart, not their head.

    From the Sun after the Indy game-----
    Tandon Doss doesn’t get as much playing time as other wide receivers in the Ravens offense. But that didn’t prevent him from chiding himself for dropping two balls in the end zone in Sunday’s 24-9 win against the Indianapolis Colts in the AFC Wildcard playoff round.

    On second down-and-goal from Indianapolis’ 5-yard line in the second quarter, Doss ran an in route from the left side of the formation, but quarterback Joe Flacco’s pass glanced off Doss’ hands as he dove at the goal line. On the very next play, Flacco tried to connect with Doss again in the back of the end zone, but the second-year receiver couldn’t corral the pass.

    "Touched my hands,” Doss said of the throws. “I’ve got to make them. … Got to make them. That’s what I’m paid to do. So that’s on me.”




  2. #50

    Re: WR Situation -- How bad is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by ed from Bel Air View Post
    He was targeted 3 times in that game, no catches. He "dropped" 2 in the end zone. That is what I recall. Targeted 20 times in his career, 7 catches. He was only active in 6 of 16 regular season games. I recall both of those end zone balls were catchable. Maybe not perfect throws, but catchable. LaQuan Williams, an undrafted free agent, was active 11 games last year. Maybe this was Special team related, but to say Doss has shown us anything so far as a wide out is a stretch.

    I hope he comes back and proves me wrong, but I think anyone who says he is an adequate replacement for Boldin is basing this on their heart, not their head.

    From the Sun after the Indy game-----
    Tandon Doss doesn’t get as much playing time as other wide receivers in the Ravens offense. But that didn’t prevent him from chiding himself for dropping two balls in the end zone in Sunday’s 24-9 win against the Indianapolis Colts in the AFC Wildcard playoff round.

    On second down-and-goal from Indianapolis’ 5-yard line in the second quarter, Doss ran an in route from the left side of the formation, but quarterback Joe Flacco’s pass glanced off Doss’ hands as he dove at the goal line. On the very next play, Flacco tried to connect with Doss again in the back of the end zone, but the second-year receiver couldn’t corral the pass.

    "Touched my hands,” Doss said of the throws. “I’ve got to make them. … Got to make them. That’s what I’m paid to do. So that’s on me.”
    Bottom line is that as you pointed out in the bold above the guy has been targeted 20 times ....hardly enough to determine if he can play or not play from our perspective as fans. Its not enough to say yea the guy can fill the role and its not enough to say no he can't. Really the only guys who have seen him play/practice enough are the coaches and Ozzie.

    Thats why I strongly disagree with what you said about anyone who thinks Doss is an adequate replacement is basing it on their heart and not their head. I am basing it on the fact that the HC of this team, the OC of this team and the GM of this team feel that Doss or Thompson can get it done. Could they be wrong....perhaps but based on their track record I am willing to roll with it. They are right a whole lot more than wrong
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis




  3. #51

    Re: WR Situation -- How bad is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    Bottom line is that as you pointed out in the bold above the guy has been targeted 20 times ....hardly enough to determine if he can play or not play from our perspective as fans. Its not enough to say yea the guy can fill the role and its not enough to say no he can't. Really the only guys who have seen him play/practice enough are the coaches and Ozzie.

    Thats why I strongly disagree with what you said about anyone who thinks Doss is an adequate replacement is basing it on their heart and not their head. I am basing it on the fact that the HC of this team, the OC of this team and the GM of this team feel that Doss or Thompson can get it done. Could they be wrong....perhaps but based on their track record I am willing to roll with it. They are right a whole lot more than wrong

    I hope you are right. Bisciotti told Harbaugh, in effect, play these guys, let's see what they can do. We want to know if we have young players who can play. So far we have not seen much. For a later round draft pick, heard a lot about Doss. He is one of these guys we keep hearing about the upside. It's time to step up and start showing it.

    As for getting it right a whole lot more than they are wrong--I love Ozzie--best GM in the NFL. But he did not get that reputation based on his drafting of wide receivers.




  4. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    10,732
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: WR Situation -- How bad is it?

    I remember a ball going straight through the middle of his out-stretched hands, a perfectly thrown by Joe. BTW, Joe was the one who recommended Doss.
    Just before the lockout DeCosta gave him some film to watch of second teir receivers Ravens were interested in. DeCosta said Joe was taking his time and was worried that he wouldn't get the film back by the lock out. After that Eric couldn't talk to him.

    Joe got the film back in time and picked Doss as the guy he wanted to throw to. He was a big target and Joe liked his hands.

    So one can say that Joe drafted Doss-lol.

    Hope Joe doesn't go into scouting when he retires.


    IF YOU CAN TOUCH THE BALL YOU SHOULD CATCH IT.

    RAYMOND BERRY - ONE THE BEST THERE EVER WAS.
    Pic of a natural act: UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU. THE PAST IS NOT DEAD, IN FACT, IT IS NOT EVEN PAST.' WILLIAM FAULKNER.




  5. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,053
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: WR Situation -- How bad is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    I remember a ball going straight through the middle of his out-stretched hands, a perfectly thrown by Joe. BTW, Joe was the one who recommended Doss.
    Just before the lockout DeCosta gave him some film to watch of second teir receivers Ravens were interested in. DeCosta said Joe was taking his time and was worried that he wouldn't get the film back by the lock out. After that Eric couldn't talk to him.

    Joe got the film back in time and picked Doss as the guy he wanted to throw to. He was a big target and Joe liked his hands.

    So one can say that Joe drafted Doss-lol.

    Hope Joe doesn't go into scouting when he retires.


    IF YOU CAN TOUCH THE BALL YOU SHOULD CATCH IT.

    RAYMOND BERRY - ONE THE BEST THERE EVER WAS.
    lol.... Joe would need to be mentored in the 60 club for years after he retires.

    But seriously, I think Doss still has time. Don't forget that it was a play off game, and the intensity is always higher in those games.




  6. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kent Island
    Posts
    971

    Re: WR Situation -- How bad is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    Bottom line is that as you pointed out in the bold above the guy has been targeted 20 times ....hardly enough to determine if he can play or not play from our perspective as fans. Its not enough to say yea the guy can fill the role and its not enough to say no he can't. Really the only guys who have seen him play/practice enough are the coaches and Ozzie.

    Thats why I strongly disagree with what you said about anyone who thinks Doss is an adequate replacement is basing it on their heart and not their head. I am basing it on the fact that the HC of this team, the OC of this team and the GM of this team feel that Doss or Thompson can get it done. Could they be wrong....perhaps but based on their track record I am willing to roll with it. They are right a whole lot more than wrong
    It's almost as though players who fall into the fourth round of the draft don't always make a huge contribution right away in their careers...particularly when they've never been above fourth on the depth chart!




  7. #55

    Re: WR Situation -- How bad is it?

    This seems pretty evident to me. I missed 5-7 but even if we did draft one chances are hes not a day 1 cobtributor. Ill summ it up like this. Fans see a problem, by their actions, oz and harbs dont. We have talent that needs a chance and their skillsets compliment one another nicely. It may not be ideal to go i.to a season so green, but weve done it before and made it to the afcc game. Im not concerned until september after seeing if these guys step up or not.
    -JAB




  8. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    24,266
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    This seems pretty evident to me. I missed 5-7 but even if we did draft one chances are hes not a day 1 cobtributor. Ill summ it up like this. Fans see a problem, by their actions, oz and harbs dont. We have talent that needs a chance and their skillsets compliment one another nicely. It may not be ideal to go i.to a season so green, but weve done it before and made it to the afcc game. Im not concerned until september after seeing if these guys step up or not.
    Pretty much anything after rounds 2 and 3 are kind of a crapshoot as to whether or not they can contribute in year 1.

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  9. #57
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    11,921
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: WR Situation -- How bad is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    This seems pretty evident to me. I missed 5-7 but even if we did draft one chances are hes not a day 1 cobtributor. Ill summ it up like this. Fans see a problem, by their actions, oz and harbs dont. We have talent that needs a chance and their skillsets compliment one another nicely. It may not be ideal to go i.to a season so green, but weve done it before and made it to the afcc game. Im not concerned until september after seeing if these guys step up or not.
    The chances of an existing receiver stepping up and winning that job are much better than any rookie late round draft pick doing it. Doss is entering year 3. It's now or never for this kid. I still think Ozzie will sign a vet to compete with the job but it's going to be open for someone to win in camp
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  10. #58

    Re: WR Situation -- How bad is it?

    I find it comical that folks are writing off Doss because of one bad game yet are fretting over the loss of Boldin. Until the playoff run Boldin was as good as gone and for the most part everyone was ok with it. People seem to forget that Boldin went through a bad case of the drops two seasons ago and even had a horrendous drop at a critical point in the playoff loss to the Steelers. Boldin went 10 games without a TD this year. Dennis Pitta is and has been Flaccos safety blanket for sometime. Most of Pitta's production after Caldwell took over was in the slot and not at TE. Boldin was not very good on the outside. Talib was completely shutting down Boldin until he left with an injury.

    I don't know if Doss, Streeter or Thompson will step up this year and neither does anyone on this board. No one knows if Quinton Patton would have been a better option either. What is well known is that the transition for college to the NFL is hardest on QBs and WRs so the odds are any receiver not named Calvin Johnson would require an adjustment period. The Ravens know what they have in young receivers on the roster as they see them every day. We as fans don't have that luxury.

    Although Doss had a few drops in the game against Indy the one thing I did notice was that he did get open and that is something that Boldin has struggled to do with any consistency.

    We don't know what Caldwell's offense will look like and how it will use the weapons available at his disposal. I certainly hope it is not I formation with two wrs like Cam.




  11. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    24,266
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    I find it comical that folks are writing off Doss because of one bad game yet are fretting over the loss of Boldin. Until the playoff run Boldin was as good as gone and for the most part everyone was ok with it. People seem to forget that Boldin went through a bad case of the drops two seasons ago and even had a horrendous drop at a critical point in the playoff loss to the Steelers. Boldin went 10 games without a TD this year. Dennis Pitta is and has been Flaccos safety blanket for sometime. Most of Pitta's production after Caldwell took over was in the slot and not at TE. Boldin was not very good on the outside. Talib was completely shutting down Boldin until he left with an injury.

    I don't know if Doss, Streeter or Thompson will step up this year and neither does anyone on this board. No one knows if Quinton Patton would have been a better option either. What is well known is that the transition for college to the NFL is hardest on QBs and WRs so the odds are any receiver not named Calvin Johnson would require an adjustment period. The Ravens know what they have in young receivers on the roster as they see them every day. We as fans don't have that luxury.

    Although Doss had a few drops in the game against Indy the one thing I did notice was that he did get open and that is something that Boldin has struggled to do with any consistency.

    We don't know what Caldwell's offense will look like and how it will use the weapons available at his disposal. I certainly hope it is not I formation with two wrs like Cam.
    Well said.

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  12. #60

    Re: WR Situation -- How bad is it?

    Pretty funny how Doss "sucks" because of one unfavorable game that came in the playoffs. The coaches are high on him, Torrey is high on him, and he is only 23. Yet because of small sample size that wasn't great, he is a bust and will not amount to anything. Makes complete sense.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland