Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Results 73 to 84 of 119
  1. #73
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    12,818
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: WR Situation -- How bad is it?



    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I was interested in Early Doucet last year too. I'd sign him on a 1-2 year deal. He'd be inexpensive and has experience in the slot.
    I've always been a big Early Doucet fan. He looks very similar to Boldin. Doucet lives in the weight room, is a great blocker down field and will catch balls with a guy right on top of him. The big negative is just like Boldin he struggles getting separation. As long as he can catch in traffic I can live with that. Doucet would absolutely be on my list to look at.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  2. #74

    Re: WR Situation -- How bad is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I've always been a big Early Doucet fan. He looks very similar to Boldin. Doucet lives in the weight room, is a great blocker down field and will catch balls with a guy right on top of him. The big negative is just like Boldin he struggles getting separation. As long as he can catch in traffic I can live with that. Doucet would absolutely be on my list to look at.
    You have to think they are going to bring in another receiver. An injury right now would really hurt the WR corps, especially if Caldwell wants to run more 4 WR sets.




  3. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    25,943
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: WR Situation -- How bad is it?

    Austin Collie may also be a target because of the connections with Caldwell. The guy's concussions are a HUGE concern though.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  4. #76

    Re: WR Situation -- How bad is it?

    If I recall correctly it is very harsh to characterize those balls thrown to Doss as "drops". True, they touched his hands (hand, in the one case), but both (the second one in particular) would have been VERY difficult and VERY impressive plays to make. If he had managed to pull either one in, the same people making a judgement that he is no good would be saying "no, we're fine at WR, didn't you see that catch Doss made against Indy?" That judgement would be premature, just like it is premature to write him off.

    He's still gotten very little time on the field. Keep in mind how many people were already considering Torrey a bust throughout the preseason and first two weeks of 2011. I still wouldn't mind addressing WR at all, I was very much on the Da'Rick Rogers train, but it is way too early to know what we have with Tandon Doss. As others have pointed out, the coaches are high on him, Torrey is high on him, Joe hand-picked him, and McShay said he had the best hands in his draft class after AJ Green




  5. #77
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    25,943
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    If I recall correctly it is very harsh to characterize those balls thrown to Doss as "drops". True, they touched his hands (hand, in the one case), but both (the second one in particular) would have been VERY difficult and VERY impressive plays to make. If he had managed to pull either one in, the same people making a judgement that he is no good would be saying "no, we're fine at WR, didn't you see that catch Doss made against Indy?" That judgement would be premature, just like it is premature to write him off.

    He's still gotten very little time on the field. Keep in mind how many people were already considering Torrey a bust throughout the preseason and first two weeks of 2011. I still wouldn't mind addressing WR at all, I was very much on the Da'Rick Rogers train, but it is way too early to know what we have with Tandon Doss. As others have pointed out, the coaches are high on him, Torrey is high on him, Joe hand-picked him, and McShay said he had the best hands in his draft class after AJ Green
    I certainly am not writing him off. I think anyone who wants to write him off is being too harsh.

    However, if we're to gauge receivers evenly then - IMO - the threshold needs to be something along the lines of that. He is a receiver. He is paid to catch passes. If the ball hits his hands then he needs to catch it.

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  6. #78
    iggyman555 Guest

    Re: WR Situation -- How bad is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Austin Collie may also be a target because of the connections with Caldwell. The guy's concussions are a HUGE concern though.
    honestly i think the guy should retire and save his body




  7. #79

    Re: WR Situation -- How bad is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I certainly am not writing him off. I think anyone who wants to write him off is being too harsh.

    However, if we're to gauge receivers evenly then - IMO - the threshold needs to be something along the lines of that. He is a receiver. He is paid to catch passes. If the ball hits his hands then he needs to catch it.

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    I know, I know, if it hits you in the hands you gotta catch it etc etc. But if I am remembering the plays correctly, I would have been very impressed if Torrey, Boldin or even Pitta managed to bring those balls in, and not at all surprised if any one of those guys didn't (let alone a guy in Doss who had barely seen the field all year). It happens. Remember Boldin's drops against Pittsburgh in the 2010 playoffs. Those were much more routine catches than those by Doss. I'm not saying this means Doss is gonna be a player, I just don't think those 'drops' were anywhere near as egregious as people are making them out to be.




  8. #80
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hyattsville
    Posts
    2,028

    Re: WR Situation -- How bad is it?

    I actually change my mind on the receiver situation. I think the Ravens will be fine with Tandon Doss and Torrey Smith as 1 and 2, with Tandon going to the slot in 3 wide situations. I have nothing to back this up, but it's just a feeling. If not, then hopefully Reed or Thompson steps up. But I'm sticking by my feeling of Does being the guy. I think maybe he just had nerves in the playoff game.




  9. #81

    Re: WR Situation -- How bad is it?

    Basically what I'm getting at is, if he had made those catches against Indy, the reaction wouldn't have been "sweet, TD" it would have been "WHAT A CATCH!". Granted, receivers, especially those with reputations for supposedly great hands like Doss, are paid to make spectacular catches as well as routine ones, but some posters in here are acting like the balls just hit him clean in the hands and bounced off. Those were very difficult plays and I don't fault a player coming in cold off the bench, after seeing next to no PT behind Torrey/Boldin/Jacoby all year, for not making them




  10. #82

    Re: WR Situation -- How bad is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    Basically what I'm getting at is, if he had made those catches against Indy, the reaction wouldn't have been "sweet, TD" it would have been "WHAT A CATCH!". Granted, receivers, especially those with reputations for supposedly great hands like Doss, are paid to make spectacular catches as well as routine ones, but some posters in here are acting like the balls just hit him clean in the hands and bounced off. Those were very difficult plays and I don't fault a player coming in cold off the bench, after seeing next to no PT behind Torrey/Boldin/Jacoby all year, for not making them
    I don't fault him but when you get opportunities, you have to make the most of them. That's what separates guys like Victor Cruz, who was an UDFA who made the most of his chances, and the hundreds of other wide receivers who were given shots to play and never made anything of it.

    Not saying anyone should give up on Doss, but the NFL stands for not for long. If he wants to stick around, he's gotta make plays, even if they are difficult ones.




  11. #83
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    366

    Re: WR Situation -- How bad is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    Basically what I'm getting at is, if he had made those catches against Indy, the reaction wouldn't have been "sweet, TD" it would have been "WHAT A CATCH!". Granted, receivers, especially those with reputations for supposedly great hands like Doss, are paid to make spectacular catches as well as routine ones, but some posters in here are acting like the balls just hit him clean in the hands and bounced off. Those were very difficult plays and I don't fault a player coming in cold off the bench, after seeing next to no PT behind Torrey/Boldin/Jacoby all year, for not making them
    I actually feel quite the opposite. What, the conditions are supposed to be perfect every time for a WR in the NFL? He would GET the playing time next to Torrey Boldin or Jacoby if catches like that are made and it doesn't matter if you're 'cold', you gotta make the most of the opportunities you're given. I DO fault the player, any player, for not making those makeable catches. That is what receivers really get paid to do. Boldin has had his fair share of easy drops but man, when you needed the guy to go up and get one while guys are face-guarding, holding, pushing and shoving him he always came through. You can say the same about Torrey, in different ways. He's dropped some but he never let it get him down and always came back and made the difficult ones or the ones we needed to get back in the game. I was surprised that Doss didn't get more PT over Jacoby and I think he can be a much better receiver than Jacoby too. This year he gets his true shot and I hope he makes the most of it.




  12. #84
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    25,943
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post

    I know, I know, if it hits you in the hands you gotta catch it etc etc. But if I am remembering the plays correctly, I would have been very impressed if Torrey, Boldin or even Pitta managed to bring those balls in, and not at all surprised if any one of those guys didn't (let alone a guy in Doss who had barely seen the field all year). It happens. Remember Boldin's drops against Pittsburgh in the 2010 playoffs. Those were much more routine catches than those by Doss. I'm not saying this means Doss is gonna be a player, I just don't think those 'drops' were anywhere near as egregious as people are making them out to be.
    Any receiver that has a pass hit them in the hands and they don't haul it in is egregious.

    But I dont know why you're arguing with me. I agree with you. Those were not easy catches, but they are still drops and it is concerning a bit because this guy may be in the running to win the #2 spot.

    I was stoked when they drafted Doss. He was one of my favorite receivers that year. I completely think he could be a 60-70 reception player.

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland