Page 44 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast
Results 517 to 528 of 882

Thread: NBA playoffs

  1. #517
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,185


    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    So anytime a guy goes to a team with good players to win championships he's buying rings?
    Well, yeah.

    See Yankees of the past 25 years.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  2. #518

    Re: NBA playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by conviction View Post
    And he left Cleveland to essentially "buy" rings by teaming up with a superstar cast, D Wade already had a ring. I think people would be very appreciative of LeBron if he had these results in Cleveland.
    I disagree with this. Go back and look at Clevelands acquisitions during the time Lebron was there. Their FO never got him someone good to play with. They got aging players like Jamison and Shaq. I hate Lebron (Melo fan here), but I still don't blame him for leaving there.

    If you look back at the greats of the game a VAST majority of them had solid players to play with during championship runs. Cleveland didn't give Lebron one so he went and found one

    "I've always been told that I'm too small, i'm not big enough, i'm not fast enough, i don't have what it takes, I prepare so no one can take what is mine. No one can replace my mind, my heart."

    "Leave your mark to endure forever."




  3. #519
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    13,463
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NBA playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    Where are the people that hate Tony Parker because he cheated on his wife with one of his teammates wives?

    Priorities.
    uhm that would be my wife and a lot of other women. They don't forget
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  4. #520

    Re: NBA playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    I disagree with this. Go back and look at Clevelands acquisitions during the time Lebron was there. Their FO never got him someone good to play with. They got aging players like Jamison and Shaq. I hate Lebron (Melo fan here), but I still don't blame him for leaving there.

    If you look back at the greats of the game a VAST majority of them had solid players to play with during championship runs. Cleveland didn't give Lebron one so he went and found one
    Id argue his Finals team in Cleveland was one of the most untalented teams to ever make it that far.
    -JAB




  5. #521

    Re: NBA playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by conviction View Post
    And he left Cleveland to essentially "buy" rings by teaming up with a superstar cast, D Wade already had a ring. I think people would be very appreciative of LeBron if he had these results in Cleveland.
    He was never winning a championship with Cleveland. They had one of the worst front offices in basketball...they were always too late or too stupid to pull triggers on trades/draft picks to actually get good players. The best player he ever played with there was freaking Mo Williams. The FO refused to trade for Amare Stoudamire in his prime because they didn't want to give up JJ Hickson. The best player they drafted was Shannon Brown. They allowed Carlos Boozer to walk as a restricted free agent...to freaking Utah.

    They were just a horrible front office (Danny Ferry ran it most of those years) and they did a horrible job of surrounding Lebron with talent. They were able to get away with it during the season, but when the playoffs started, they had a ceiling. The guy averaged 38, 9 and 8 against the Magic and the Cavs won 2 games (one on a game winning 3 by Lebron) against a mediocre Magic team. The exact same roster after Lebron left won 19 games. It just was not going to happen in Cleveland.

    Did anybody watch the OKC/Memphis series? We got to see Durant without Westbrook and another "star". That was basically Lebron in Cleveland...except Lebron didn't have another superstar ready and healthy to come back the following year.

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Well, yeah.

    See Yankees of the past 25 years.
    You can't equate the Yankees or baseball to the Heat and Basketball. If they really were like they Yankees, the Heat would be out there trying to sign Dwight Howard and Chris Paul. There is a salary cap in basketball which is why the Heat had to completely wipe the roster clean of player except for Chalmers in order to sign those guys. It's why Miami is really struggling now because they don't have any other young guys due to not having any draft picks and not having any cap space and it's why Miami is not, nor been a superteam despite the stupid Lebron statements during the celebration.

    The Yankees have never had a single restriction other than a salary tax.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  6. #522
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    13,463
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NBA playoffs

    The Heat did the same thing that Boston did - sign 'the big three'. Both teams won one title. I said earlier, that was considered a success in Boston but it won't be in Miami if they lose this year
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  7. #523

    Re: NBA playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    The Heat did the same thing that Boston did - sign 'the big three'. Both teams won one title. I said earlier, that was considered a success in Boston but it won't be in Miami if they lose this year
    That's the thing that has never made sense to me.

    You can force or strongly influence trades to places where you want to go, but you can never sign there as a free agent. Maybe Lebron should have done what others have done and just told Cleveland to trade him to Miami or watch me walk in UFA.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  8. #524

    Re: NBA playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    That's the thing that has never made sense to me.

    You can force or strongly influence trades to places where you want to go, but you can never sign there as a free agent. Maybe Lebron should have done what others have done and just told Cleveland to trade him to Miami or watch me walk in UFA.
    yep, those guys dont become villains. like Chris Paul for instance, who was in a bad situation, and asked to be traded to one of the richest teams in young talent. Or the lakers getting Howard. nobody makes these guys out to be villains even though both had much worse departures by comparison to a FA leaving on his own accord.
    -JAB




  9. #525
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,185

    Re: NBA playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    You can't equate the Yankees or baseball to the Heat and Basketball. If they really were like they Yankees, the Heat would be out there trying to sign Dwight Howard and Chris Paul. There is a salary cap in basketball which is why the Heat had to completely wipe the roster clean of player except for Chalmers in order to sign those guys. It's why Miami is really struggling now because they don't have any other young guys due to not having any draft picks and not having any cap space and it's why Miami is not, nor been a superteam despite the stupid Lebron statements during the celebration.

    The Yankees have never had a single restriction other than a salary tax.
    Disagree to a point,

    I never argued they play under similar systems. Rather, they still play under a system that favors mega teams like the Lakers, Heat, Boston to acquire their teams via free agency as opposed to a traditional draft system.

    The systems are different but the outcome is still the same. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  10. #526
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Disagree to a point,

    I never argued they play under similar systems. Rather, they still play under a system that favors mega teams like the Lakers, Heat, Boston to acquire their teams via free agency as opposed to a traditional draft system.

    The systems are different but the outcome is still the same. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
    What great...or even good free agent have the Lakers or Celtics signed?




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  11. #527
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,185

    Re: NBA playoffs

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    What great...or even good free agent have the Lakers or Celtics signed?
    Some dude called Shaq was pretty good from what I am told.

    But point taken abouit the Celts. They acquired their team via trades. Point still stands though. If it's through trades or FA, the outcome is still the same -- a system that favors a few select teams over parity.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  12. #528
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Some dude called Shaq was pretty good from what I am told.

    But point taken abouit the Celts. They acquired their team via trades. Point still stands though. If it's through trades or FA, the outcome is still the same -- a system that favors a few select teams over parity.
    Forgot about Shaq.

    But it really just depends on if the owner is willing to spend.

    Miami is a middle of the road revenue team.

    The reality IMHO is that the new CBA actually makes it harder for small market teams to keep players. It's why OKC traded away James Harden. They totally overreacted to the summer of 2010 and made it even harder for them.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland