Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 72 of 171
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    10,675
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Best and Worst Interactions with NFL Players?



    Getting back to Solo's question the team was so concerned about the pushing and shoving from adults they changed the format for signatures. Only certain players would stay on the
    field after practice and only a few kids were allowed at a time to walk out and get autographs from them. I think no adults were alowed except those with todlers.

    It was dangerous for a kid to be behind the fence with all that. After I got Ray's signature that day I turned around to leave but everyone behind me kept pushing and I got pushed
    back into the fence. I was right against it. I was getting closterphobia and kept asking the fatso behnd me to step aside but he kept pushing me into Ray who was on the other side.

    Finally, I slugged him in the gut and he crumpled over and I pushed him down and yelled step aside next time someone asks you. Everyone behind him moved aside as I walked out.

    Ray saw it too.

    The fence was a dangerous area for kids.

    I went to every camp from the time they started til when they stopped at
    Westminster. Damn shame.
    Pic of a natural act: UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU. THE PAST IS NOT DEAD, IN FACT, IT IS NOT EVEN PAST.' WILLIAM FAULKNER.




  2. #62

    Re: Best and Worst Interactions with NFL Players?

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Getting back to Solo's question the team was so concerned about the pushing and shoving from adults they changed the format for signatures. Only certain players would stay on the
    field after practice and only a few kids were allowed at a time to walk out and get autographs from them. I think no adults were alowed except those with todlers.

    It was dangerous for a kid to be behind the fence with all that. After I got Ray's signature that day I turned around to leave but everyone behind me kept pushing and I got pushed
    back into the fence. I was right against it. I was getting closterphobia and kept asking the fatso behnd me to step aside but he kept pushing me into Ray who was on the other side.

    Finally, I slugged him in the gut and he crumpled over and I pushed him down and yelled step aside next time someone asks you. Everyone behind him moved aside as I walked out.

    Ray saw it too. I went to every camp from the time they started til when they stopped at
    Westminster. Damn shame.
    Brick I've been meaning to talk to you about that. You should probably find a safe house or a relative nearby. Lay low for a while, you're probably wanted for murder.




  3. #63
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    10,675
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Best and Worst Interactions with NFL Players?

    Hey, the guy was pushing me and everyone else. What was I suppose to do.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-19-2013 at 11:30 PM.
    Pic of a natural act: UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU. THE PAST IS NOT DEAD, IN FACT, IT IS NOT EVEN PAST.' WILLIAM FAULKNER.




  4. #64

    Re: Best and Worst Interactions with NFL Players?

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Hey, the guy was pushing me and everyone else. What was I suppose to do.
    No offense meant boss, just messing around a bit. I was quoting a ridiculous movie I'd watched for the first time in a while earlier in the day.

    If a guy is literally about to crush you against a fence or push you onto the field, I can't say what else you could have or should have done. I remember enjoying getting autographs as a teenager up at camp, but it really was an activity for the kids. People can get a little too crazy over having another man write his name on a shirt or a ball sometimes.




  5. #65
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    10,675
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Best and Worst Interactions with NFL Players?

    No prob,man.

    You're right about the crazies. More than one poster in here said he wouldnt
    let his kids go down by the fence and the team took steps to take care of
    them they were so concerned.

    I'n looking at autographed pics from Gino, Fatso, Unitas and Lenny on one wall
    of my cave and Ogden, Ray, Heap and Reed on the opposite wall plus Rays
    autographed jersey and the SB 35 hat signed by half the team.

    I never pushed nobody until I got hit first. Well, except in Denver where
    the manager said I started the fight but all I did was where my colors in
    the damn bar. I didn't say a word except nice game hey guys? It was a
    nice game.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-20-2013 at 07:34 AM.
    Pic of a natural act: UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU. THE PAST IS NOT DEAD, IN FACT, IT IS NOT EVEN PAST.' WILLIAM FAULKNER.




  6. #66

    Re: Best and Worst Interactions with NFL Players?

    I've interacted with quite a few players...none at football facilities.

    My first interaction was when I was in college, I had a summer job working in the Tech Bay (now Geek Squad) at the Best Buy next to Security Mall. Frank Sanders and Marcus Robinson came in to get some work done on their laptop...it was actually the day right after Jamal broke the rushing game record against the Browns. Both were really cool and friendly and Sanders gave me a $50 tip.

    At the infamous Windsor Inn, I've seen McAlister, Gary Baxter, Corey Fuller, Bart Scott Dan Wilcox and Suggs among others. Most I didn't talk to as they were with their groups, but from time to time, they'd come over to our table to try and talk to the girls that would be in our group. Never had a bad interaction with any of them as most seemed cool and respectful to the girls with us. McAlister and Suggs in particular are infamous womanizers though...man, those 2 must have run through half of Baltimore's female population.

    I met Jamal Lewis at a party through another friend of mine and he was very quiet but seemed very cool. He's another guy who had more than his fair share of women.

    Those guys ease of getting some of the best looking women always made me mad at my parents that my genes to be a popular athlete were never quite good enough LMAO.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  7. #67

    Re: Best and Worst Interactions with NFL Players?

    I have acquired many autographs throughout the years. I have never considered selling any of them because I enjoy showing friends and family all of my memorabilia. I tell them stories about the players I have met, and it leads to many great conversations. It's sad that people who are only driven to seek profit ruin it for everyone else.




  8. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Balmer Merlin Hon
    Posts
    2,641
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Best and Worst Interactions with NFL Players?

    It was June 1988. I was headed to Idaho for work but between traffic jam & check-in hassles missed the scheduled flight & was now rebooked through SFO.

    The DC-10 landed at O'Hare & they let us out to stretch our legs for the 45-minute layover. Out in the corridor I looked up & down & saw this big guy in a blue Hawaiian shirt with a buzz cut & big floppy ears standing next to a mature woman with a blond beehive.

    I did a doubletake, then walked over & said, "My God, you look like Artie Donovan."

    "Yeah!" He stuck out his paw with a big grin. "How ya doin'!" He introduced his wife (whose name I can't remember). Turned out they were on the same flight, headed for Hong Kong on vacation via SanFran & Hawaii.

    "You guys were my heroes growing up," I told him.

    We talked for 5-6 minutes before reboarding, & the thing I will always remember is that he was more interested in hearing about my life than talking about himself--the mark of a true gentleman. (Though when I mentioned I'd just moved into Ednor Gardens he said that they used to have a house there within walking distance of Memorial & after home games he'd get a keg & invite the team over...)

    Also had a nice chat with Tom Matte at at a lit festival down around the Monument a few years back--IIRC he had a book just out & was publicizing it there.




  9. #69

    Re: Best and Worst Interactions with NFL Players?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I've interacted with quite a few players...none at football facilities.

    My first interaction was when I was in college, I had a summer job working in the Tech Bay (now Geek Squad) at the Best Buy next to Security Mall. Frank Sanders and Marcus Robinson came in to get some work done on their laptop...it was actually the day right after Jamal broke the rushing game record against the Browns. Both were really cool and friendly and Sanders gave me a $50 tip.

    At the infamous Windsor Inn, I've seen McAlister, Gary Baxter, Corey Fuller, Bart Scott Dan Wilcox and Suggs among others. Most I didn't talk to as they were with their groups, but from time to time, they'd come over to our table to try and talk to the girls that would be in our group. Never had a bad interaction with any of them as most seemed cool and respectful to the girls with us. McAlister and Suggs in particular are infamous womanizers though...man, those 2 must have run through half of Baltimore's female population.

    I met Jamal Lewis at a party through another friend of mine and he was very quiet but seemed very cool. He's another guy who had more than his fair share of women.

    Those guys ease of getting some of the best looking women always made me mad at my parents that my genes to be a popular athlete were never quite good enough LMAO.
    As a lifelong Baltimoron, please explain the Windsor Inn.




  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Ocean City, MD
    Posts
    195

    Re: Best and Worst Interactions with NFL Players?

    Quote Originally Posted by baltimorebred View Post
    As a lifelong Baltimoron, please explain the Windsor Inn.
    Restaurant / bar in Woodlawn on Windsor Mill Road. Lot's of players used to go there. Ray Lewis was accused of hitting two woman in a bar fight there, in 1999. He was cleared.
    Last edited by Saltwater_Rider; 05-20-2013 at 01:52 PM.
    Facebook -> Craig.Ciurca
    Twitter -> @papa_ciurca
    Instagram -> @papa_ciurca




  11. #71
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    2,160

    Re: Best and Worst Interactions with NFL Players?

    Quote Originally Posted by baltimorebred View Post
    Any experiences you wish to share?
    Considering I went to these autographs when I was younger, yes I did see all the older guys getting the signatures. I'm only in college now, so I probably have the most recent view.




  12. #72
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    2,160

    Re: Best and Worst Interactions with NFL Players?

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Yes that was always true. It was during the Heap draft and I had my nephews at the draft day party at the stadium and Jordan who was 8 got Ray's autograph. He gave him a paper for me and a man behind him hit him and pushed him down. Ray saw it and walked away from everyone. I would have killed him if I saw it.

    But Ray and Reed always signed. They stood out in the blistering heat that day signing when Joe wouldn't and Reed love to hold babies and have his pic taken with them. Heap always signed as did Jamal.

    I was about to get Jamal's autograph when SAGE walked up with a TV camera and mike to interview him and I said come on Sage, we're trying to get his autograph. I got his on my SB 35 hat.

    I got both the winning and losing coach's signatures on the hat which is also in my cave. Also got Ozzie's when he walked by me before practice started. After Faisel arrived he left practice and walked up the steps by the gym where I always sat and he signed the hat.

    I said coach, when are you going to get Boller to stop telegraphing his throws. He said what makes you think he's doing that. I said he stares down the receiver. Every fan in town knows that. That was the day after Reed intercepted 2 passes in practice and Reed said he just followed the QB, ie, his eyes.

    So Faisel said well he's not telegraphing his throws and left but I couldn't understand why he left practice when his unit went into the gym to eat. He must have been trying to line up his next coaching job because Billick fired him like HARBs fired CAM.

    Anyway, Im watching Comcast the next night and Faisel and Boller were wired and Faisel said today we're gonna get you to stop telegraphing your throws.

    It's pretty bad when a fan describes in detail how you're telegraphing.
    What do you think the defenses are doing?

    ILMAO - He was talking about me.

    Faisel was a cool dude though. I know some fans who flew out to a game in Indy and
    were waiting for a cab. Faisel stood near them waiting for a limo and he saw them
    staring at him. When the limo arrive he yelled jump in and I'll give you a lift and he
    took them to their hotels.

    When he coached NY during 911 he adopted the kids of a firemen who died in the
    building. He had 9 kids and Faisel said he would always pay for all their expenses
    for the rest of their lives including their college tuitions.

    Hell of a nice guy.
    I'm sorry but judging a guy based on the few times you saw him sign or not sign autographs is ridiculous. I went to the camp in McDaniel when they had it, and I got Joe's autograph. He signed as many as he could, taken pictures with babies, etc. There was a guy behind him telling to hurry up the entire time though.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland