Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 37
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    23,084
    Blog Entries
    3

    RSR Music Thread



    Just figured I'd start this thread in case some folks don't know that the M&T thread has basically morphed into a music thread.

    I listen to everything, so I am always interested in checking out new stuff.

    Don't know if you guys have ever heard of the band called The Heavy, but they're pretty solid. I like them a lot. Their album strikes me as one that would be good for driving around on a rainy day. Kind of funky, kind of bluesy with a tinge of pop, hip-hop, and soul.
    When it comes to quarterbacks, don't pay attention to stats; pay attention to guys who make crucial plays at crucial times. -Gil Brandt


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/





  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    23,084
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: RSR Music Thread

    Oh, and anyone that is a fan of Fall Out Boy, their new album is really good too.
    When it comes to quarterbacks, don't pay attention to stats; pay attention to guys who make crucial plays at crucial times. -Gil Brandt


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    19,962
    Been getting into country lately. It's the only genre I've never given much attention.

    Really liking Zac Brown Band, Brad Paisley, Blake Shelton, Miranda Lambert, etc.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    23,084
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Been getting into country lately. It's the only genre I've never given much attention.

    Really liking Zac Brown Band, Brad Paisley, Blake Shelton, Miranda Lambert, etc.
    I like southern music, but some country is just either too "poppy" for me or too whiny.

    I like Garth Brooks a lot. I like some of the old school guys like Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson too.

    Probably the most country I get these days is Cross Canadian Ragweed.

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    When it comes to quarterbacks, don't pay attention to stats; pay attention to guys who make crucial plays at crucial times. -Gil Brandt


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/




  5. #5

    Re: RSR Music Thread

    My taste in music can be summed up quite easily.

    The last concert I went to was the Monkees Reunion tour in November.
    This is a novel I was asked to proofread. The author is giving 10% of the profits to kidney research, which is a big deal in the Darb household. Fair warning; it's a fantasy novel, and the main characters are lesbians. It's three bucks on kindle from Amazon.http://www.amazon.com/WINDOWS-BROKEN...ken+fairy+tale




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pikesville
    Posts
    3,703
    I've gotten really into Metric lately. Canadian indie rock/pop/house band with a wickedly hot lead singer and loads of catchy hooks.

    Also if you're into catchy folk music or rock, check out Great Big Sea. Also Canadian, they're a Newfoundland group who range from straight up sea chanties to modern rock.

    Another odd but very exciting act is Voltaire. He describes himself as a "gothic cabaret" act. His music is eclectic in style, ranging from string heavy operatic numbers, to jazz style covers, to a straight up country western album. But thematically, he is somewhat morbid, but in a funny way. Songs like "Zombie Prostitute", "BRAINS!", and "Dead Girls Like Me" are undeniably creepy, but also quite funny.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    6,677

    Re: RSR Music Thread

    I listen to everything except country. Well I do like Johnny Cash.

    I go through phases. One year I'm big into rap...the next year its rock. Right now I'm into soundtracks (with and without lyrics). 2 Steps From Hell does alot of soundtracks for films and video games. Everyone has heard something by them.

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Don't know if you guys have ever heard of the band called The Heavy, but they're pretty solid. I like them a lot. Their album strikes me as one that would be good for driving around on a rainy day. Kind of funky, kind of bluesy with a tinge of pop, hip-hop, and soul.
    I really like The Heavy! Can't wait for them to come tour in Germany.

    Other people I'm currently listening to are:
    Janelle Monae
    Esperanza Spalding
    The Silent Comedy
    Imagine Dragons
    "I got this." - Justin Tucker




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Detroit Michigan
    Posts
    1,906
    I'm of the opinion that The Black Keys are the best rock band in the world right now, and honestly, of the last decade. Anything Dan Auerbach touches he can turn to gold. His solo album is also phenomenal.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

    –Eleanor Roosevelt




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    23,084
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: RSR Music Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    I've gotten really into Metric lately. Canadian indie rock/pop/house band with a wickedly hot lead singer and loads of catchy hooks.

    Also if you're into catchy folk music or rock, check out Great Big Sea. Also Canadian, they're a Newfoundland group who range from straight up sea chanties to modern rock.

    Another odd but very exciting act is Voltaire. He describes himself as a "gothic cabaret" act. His music is eclectic in style, ranging from string heavy operatic numbers, to jazz style covers, to a straight up country western album. But thematically, he is somewhat morbid, but in a funny way. Songs like "Zombie Prostitute", "BRAINS!", and "Dead Girls Like Me" are undeniably creepy, but also quite funny.
    Metric is really good. Big fan of theirs.
    When it comes to quarterbacks, don't pay attention to stats; pay attention to guys who make crucial plays at crucial times. -Gil Brandt


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    23,084
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: RSR Music Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    I'm of the opinion that The Black Keys are the best rock band in the world right now, and honestly, of the last decade. Anything Dan Auerbach touches he can turn to gold. His solo album is also phenomenal.
    I saw them at Bonnaroo two years ago when Brothers was getting pretty big. You can't touch Black Keys tickets for under $75 around DC nowadays. Great show. That was a lot of fun. I don't particularly care for El Camino though. It's ok. IMO, nowhere near as good as Brothers.
    When it comes to quarterbacks, don't pay attention to stats; pay attention to guys who make crucial plays at crucial times. -Gil Brandt


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/




  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Detroit Michigan
    Posts
    1,906
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I saw them at Bonnaroo two years ago when Brothers was getting pretty big. You can't touch Black Keys tickets for under $75 around DC nowadays. Great show. That was a lot of fun. I don't particularly care for El Camino though. It's ok. IMO, nowhere near as good as Brothers.
    I agree.

    A few friends of mine had a chance to see them at lollapalooza and we're blown away.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

    –Eleanor Roosevelt




  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    23,084
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: RSR Music Thread

    I'm a huge Drive By Truckers and Jason Isbell fan too.

    They are more southern rock than country, but they do have country elements.
    When it comes to quarterbacks, don't pay attention to stats; pay attention to guys who make crucial plays at crucial times. -Gil Brandt


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland