Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 37 to 48 of 95
  1. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,048

    Re: Ravens interested in Jamarcus Russell?



    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    coughMcKinniecough
    I thought about him too but I'd say he's turned the corner, thus got his job back. But had I been GM (and, thankfully, I am not) his ass still would have been on the bench.

    And I did use the word *could* as my carve out.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  2. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    12,604
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Ravens interested in Jamarcus Russell?

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    That innate ability to lead just doesn't go away though.

    In all honesty, I think Jamarcus Russell became apathetic when he got into the NFL. The Raiders stunk, their organization was in disarray, and there was a different coaching staff each season. Not making excuses for the guy because he let himself get out of shape and uninterested in learning how to be a pro, but this wouldn't be the first time that a young, impressionable player goes to a team that is just permeated with negativity, so they become "whatever" about the whole thing. He signed a mega deal, made his cash, and figured that if the rest of the organization didn't give a shit (seemingly), why should he? Gotta remember, these are YOUNG kids we're talking about here. Not all of them have the maturity it takes to be a consummate professional the day they're drafted.

    It is possible that he figured out the errors he made and is trying to correct them. You use Vince Young as a comparative example and while I agree to a certain extent, Young has still been in the news even after being bounced from the Titans to the Eagles and to the Bills as being financially stupid with his money. It doesn't seem like Young has hit that "bottom" yet. Maybe Russell has?

    I'm not advocating that the Ravens take a chance on the guy, but I do hope that he can get back into the league because you're right GOTA, that guy was very similar to Roethlisberger at LSU. He could flick the ball 65-70 yards in the air, no problem.
    If you remember the issue was there before he even signed with the Raiders. His demands were crazy and he didn't just miss camp but part of the season. On top of that he was completely out of shape and abusing codeine. That's pretty bad. Even if he did hit bottom is it possible to come back after years of being out of the game? I don't think so but I kind of hope he can based on my feelings about JaMarcus from his college days.

    Interestingly enough the guy who succeeded JaMarcus Russell at LSU was Matt Flynn. Flynn didn't have 1/4 of the talent but he had more of a traditional LSU running attack and very good o-line. Along with a great defense Flynn was able to lead LSU to the National Championship. He's also done pretty well for himself, at least financially, and will now follow JaMarcus as the Raiders QB. How ironic would it be if Flynn once again wins where JaMarcus couldn't?
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  3. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    809

    Re: Ravens interested in Jamarcus Russell?

    I have absolutely no problem with us looking at him, aside from the media circus that will likely come with it. He has/had all the talent in the world, and can make every throw just like Joe. His problem has always been upstairs, but he appears better in the maturity aspect at least. Really is a no loss situation for the Ravens and Russell both.




  4. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    25,679
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Ravens interested in Jamarcus Russell?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I thought about him too but I'd say he's turned the corner, thus got his job back. But had I been GM (and, thankfully, I am not) his ass still would have been on the bench.

    And I did use the word *could* as my carve out.
    I'm aware of your use of "could". Haha.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  5. #41

    Re: Ravens interested in Jamarcus Russell?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I thought about him too but I'd say he's turned the corner, thus got his job back.
    and whos to say Russell hasnt? without being given a chance no player can prove they have.

    I dont understand why we cant be that team to give 2nd chances when almost every team in the league has guys that fall under that category. If anything were a better team to try such a thing because of the leadership in our FO and staff and current Vets.
    -JAB




  6. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    25,679
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Ravens interested in Jamarcus Russell?

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If you remember the issue was there before he even signed with the Raiders. His demands were crazy and he didn't just miss camp but part of the season. On top of that he was completely out of shape and abusing codeine. That's pretty bad. Even if he did hit bottom is it possible to come back after years of being out of the game? I don't think so but I kind of hope he can based on my feelings about JaMarcus from his college days.

    Interestingly enough the guy who succeeded JaMarcus Russell at LSU was Matt Flynn. Flynn didn't have 1/4 of the talent but he had more of a traditional LSU running attack and very good o-line. Along with a great defense Flynn was able to lead LSU to the National Championship. He's also done pretty well for himself, at least financially, and will now follow JaMarcus as the Raiders QB. How ironic would it be if Flynn once again wins where JaMarcus couldn't?
    Well, I think we all know how uber-talented players can dominate in college, but flame out in the pro's because they've never worked on the fundamentals of the game or their position.

    Russell probably didn't dedicate himself too much to film sessions, weight room sessions, etc while at LSU because he was a 265lb QB who could move and throw the ball 100mph.

    Flynn, on the other hand, didn't have that physical ability, so he had to rely on accuracy, smart play, and understanding the game. I'm not sure how Flynn is going to do in Oakland, but I'd argue that he probably has a better understanding of how to play the position than Russell ever did.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  7. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,048

    Re: Ravens interested in Jamarcus Russell?

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    and whos to say Russell hasnt? without being given a chance no player can prove they have.

    I dont understand why we cant be that team to give 2nd chances when almost every team in the league has guys that fall under that category. If anything were a better team to try such a thing because of the leadership in our FO and staff and current Vets.
    It's a fundamental disagreement we will never agree upon.

    I don't see why we have to be the team of 2nd chances. I'd rather go with younger, unproven talent than 2nd chance prospects that might hit 1 out of 100 times.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  8. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    809

    Re: Ravens interested in Jamarcus Russell?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    It's a fundamental disagreement we will never agree upon.

    I don't see why we have to be the team of 2nd chances. I'd rather go with younger, unproven talent than 2nd chance prospects that might hit 1 out of 100 times.
    Or we could not limit ourselves and do both.




  9. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,048

    Re: Ravens interested in Jamarcus Russell?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSpiderWebb View Post
    Or we could not limit ourselves and do both.
    And how is that possible with a 53 player limit?

    Someone has to be sent home eventually and I'd rather give the new guys a shot.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  10. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    809

    Re: Ravens interested in Jamarcus Russell?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    And how is that possible with a 53 player limit?

    Someone has to be sent home eventually and I'd rather give the new guys a shot.
    Even if the second chance guy looks far better than the younger unproven guy? I'm just saying there is no reason not to extend that chance, but they still have to show it on the field.




  11. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,048

    Re: Ravens interested in Jamarcus Russell?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSpiderWebb View Post
    I'm just saying there is no reason not to extend that chance, but they still have to show it on the field.
    Not wanting to introduce a head case into a young locker room is a pretty big reason not to extend that chance.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  12. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    809

    Re: Ravens interested in Jamarcus Russell?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Not wanting to introduce a head case into a young locker room is a pretty big reason not to extend that chance.
    A large majority of those young players were brought in because of their high character. I doubt having someone who used to be a character concern, and is now fighting for his NFL life, will affect them all that much.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland