Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 114
  1. #1

    Pitta/Dickson vs. Gronk/Hernandez



    After a few years of looking at the 2 teams & how they've employed 2 TE's, I'm awfully glad we picked Pitta & Dickson in that draft. Gronk - can't stay healthy, but is a beast when he is. Hernandez - we will see what the legal process bears out, but it's not looking good initially. I'll reserve judgment until more facts roll in, but I'm liking our 2 TE's right about now.........

    Draft: Gronk had injury concerns that caused him to slide. Hernandez had character issues. Pitta appears to be a great guy & he can flat out play. Dickson has some drops & I lose patience with him, but this year (a contract year for him) will determine if he sticks around or gets replaced by a younger version with better hands.

    Thanks for picking the right guys, Ozzie! Again.......




  2. #2

    Re: Pitta/Dickson vs. Gronk/Hernandez

    I see your point, but knowing what we know, TODAY, I would still rather have Gronk alone over our entire draft... not to mention Herndandez... Besides our TE's, that includes Kindle, Cody, Art Jones, David Reed, and Harewood... NO question from my perspective.




  3. #3

    Re: Pitta/Dickson vs. Gronk/Hernandez

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I see your point, but knowing what we know, TODAY, I would still rather have Gronk alone over our entire draft not to mention Herndandez. Besides our TE's, that includes Kindle, Cody, Art Jones, David Reed, and Harewood. NO question from my perspective.
    Agreed. If Gronk can return to the field and be what he was, he's more of a difference-maker than the rest of our draft that year, put together.

    If Gronk slips due to injury, and Hernandez can't play due to legal issues, then that's another story.




  4. #4

    Re: Pitta/Dickson vs. Gronk/Hernandez

    Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Agreed. If Gronk can return to the field and be what he was, he's more of a difference-maker than the rest of our draft that year, put together.

    If Gronk slips due to injury, and Hernandez can't play due to legal issues, then that's another story.
    sure, if Gronk never sees the field again, and Hernandez is playing TE in the Connecticut PENAL system for the rest of his natural life then I MIGHT agree with this post, but then again, had we drafted Gronk and NE did not, we might have won 2 or 3 SB's in a row by now. Hard to say.




  5. #5

    Re: Pitta/Dickson vs. Gronk/Hernandez

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I see your point, but knowing what we know, TODAY, I would still rather have Gronk alone over our entire draft... not to mention Herndandez... Besides our TE's, that includes Kindle, Cody, Art Jones, David Reed, and Harewood... NO question from my perspective.
    I disagree.
    Gronk is arguably the top TE in the league when healthy, but Pitta is arguably in the top 7 and Art Jones is a promising defensive end. Also if Dickson can fix his drops, then he'll be a handful for opposing D's to deal with because he has little trouble getting open. And if Reed and Harewood can stay healthy and if Cody can get stronger and improve his technique, then they can be assets as well. The only outright bust from that draft is Kindle. Reed, Cody and Harewood may be busts, but we'll only know that for sure after this season. Right now I'd take our draft over just Gronk, especially since it looks like he may never stay healthy and eventually fade or bust anyway.

    The other thing to keep in mind is that Gronk's numbers have been inflated having Brady throw to him in a pass heavy offense, with no decent running backs (till 2012) where the only decent WR was Welker in the slot, and arguably Lloyd for one year.




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Scaggsville, MD
    Posts
    713

    Re: Pitta/Dickson vs. Gronk/Hernandez

    Yeah, I stand by my opinion that we got hosed in that draft by not landing either Dez Bryant or Rob Gronkowski. I'm thrilled we wound up with Pitta, and I remain optimistic that Dickson can work out; he did make a couple of important catches in the Super Bowl and now he's got a ring. But those two are premium players. And I'm not going to hold Gronk's injuries against him. The broken arm was a complete fluke and had nothing to do with any injury history he had in college. Same goes for it developing an infection. That stuff could just as easily have happened to either of our TEs.




  7. #7

    Re: Pitta/Dickson vs. Gronk/Hernandez

    Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    I disagree.
    Gronk is arguably the top TE in the league when healthy, but Pitta is arguably in the top 7 and Art Jones is a promising defensive end. Also if Dickson can fix his drops, then he'll be a handful for opposing D's to deal with because he has little trouble getting open. And if Reed and Harewood can stay healthy and if Cody can get stronger and improve his technique, then they can be assets as well. The only outright bust from that draft is Kindle. Reed, Cody and Harewood may be busts, but we'll only know that for sure after this season. Right now I'd take our draft over just Gronk, especially since it looks like he may never stay healthy and eventually fade or bust anyway.

    The other thing to keep in mind is that Gronk's numbers have been inflated having Brady throw to him in a pass heavy offense, with no decent running backs (till 2012) where the only decent WR was Welker in the slot, and arguably Lloyd for one year.
    ARGUABLY... I'd like to be a part of that argument???? If you COMPLETELY IGNORE blocking, I suppose I could MAYBE see an argument for Jimmy Gram, MAYBE. But if you consider the entire game it's not close. IT's not close to close. IN fact, I would argue that it is the greatest spread between #1 and #2 of any position in the game of football.

    I think it would be harder to argue that Pitta is top 7, then Gronk at #1, that much is for sure.

    BY your standards, AP's stats should be taken with a grain of salt because he played in a run-heavy offense. IT can't be that AP was THE REASON that they are a run heavy offense, we must reduce his stats relative to the rest of the league because it is run heavy. Just as it can't be the fact that Gronk is perhaps the hardest player to match up with in all of football, it has to be simply that NE throws the ball around the park all day.




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    8,521
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Pitta/Dickson vs. Gronk/Hernandez

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yeah, I stand by my opinion that we got hosed in that draft by not landing either Dez Bryant or Rob Gronkowski. I'm thrilled we wound up with Pitta, and I remain optimistic that Dickson can work out; he did make a couple of important catches in the Super Bowl and now he's got a ring. But those two are premium players. And I'm not going to hold Gronk's injuries against him. The broken arm was a complete fluke and had nothing to do with any injury history he had in college. Same goes for it developing an infection. That stuff could just as easily have happened to either of our TEs.
    The issue is that Gronk had the back injury in college, and he just had another back surgery. It could be a thing that never goes away.




  9. #9

    Re: Pitta/Dickson vs. Gronk/Hernandez

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    ARGUABLY... I'd like to be a part of that argument???? If you COMPLETELY IGNORE blocking, I suppose I could MAYBE see an argument for Jimmy Gram, MAYBE. But if you consider the entire game it's not close. IT's not close to close. IN fact, I would argue that it is the greatest spread between #1 and #2 of any position in the game of football.

    I think it would be harder to argue that Pitta is top 7, then Gronk at #1, that much is for sure.

    BY your standards, AP's stats should be taken with a grain of salt because he played in a run-heavy offense. IT can't be that AP was THE REASON that they are a run heavy offense, we must reduce his stats relative to the rest of the league because it is run heavy. Just as it can't be the fact that Gronk is perhaps the hardest player to match up with in all of football, it has to be simply that NE throws the ball around the park all day.
    Jimmy Graham, Vernon Davis, Tony Gonzalez and Jason Whitten all have an argument. Blocking matters for a traditional in-line tight end, but it isn't as important for a TE who's primarily a receiver. And Davis, Gonzalez and Whitten are excellent blockers too.

    As you can see, not everyone thinks Gronk is the best (personally, I think he is when healthy)
    http://allknowingfootballguy.wordpre...-in-nfl-today/

    As for Pitta, I guess I'm being optimistic that this year he'll prove to be a top 7 or top 5 TE; I suppose up till now he's been more of a top 10 arguably.

    And yes, AP's stats, not his capability, would be reduced if the Vikings had a better QB/better receivers because he would get fewer carries. Same with Megatron, if the Lions had a decent #2 WR and healthy RBs. He'd still be the best WR in the league, but he wouldn't be threatening to break 2000 yards in one season.




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,121
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Pitta/Dickson vs. Gronk/Hernandez

    I didn't want Gronk then and still don't. Oz laid off because of the red flags and that
    was due to his back probs. Bellicheat took a chance and he's been great when flying
    but Pollard ruined him for their SB last year and he was injured this year and
    watching our guy Pitta score in the SB. Take away that TD and we don't win.

    Throw in Art JOnes and there's no way one can say Gronk is better than the
    rest of our draft when healthy and his back probs are back too. This article wonders
    if he'll be ready by Week 1 after another back surgery. Before that it was his arm
    and last year his ankle after Pollard ruined him. You can have that pussy.


    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...rgery/2435881/


    DEZ has been the projected problem child for Dallas going to jail for striking his
    own mother and grabbing her bra and getting sued twice.

    http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/20...yant-f-1.html/


    Only reason he didn't go to prison was because his mother dropped the charges.
    Oz didn't want him either and we beat him with Torrey.

    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...9209--nfl.html


    Keep up the great drafts Oz. Pitta and Dickson won the SB while Gronk and Hernandez
    watched on TV.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 06-20-2013 at 07:31 PM.
    Pic of a natural act: UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU. THE PAST IS NOT DEAD, IN FACT, IT IS NOT EVEN PAST.' WILLIAM FAULKNER.




  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,328
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Pitta/Dickson vs. Gronk/Hernandez

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    I didn't want Gronk then and still don't. Oz laid off because of the red flags and that was due to his back probs...
    Oz laid off him? The Pats traded up one spot before us and drafted him. We got kindle instead. Do you think that was a great deal for the Ravens? ... Bc




  12. #12

    Re: Pitta/Dickson vs. Gronk/Hernandez

    Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    Jimmy Graham, Vernon Davis, Tony Gonzalez and Jason Whitten all have an argument. Blocking matters for a traditional in-line tight end, but it isn't as important for a TE who's primarily a receiver. And Davis, Gonzalez and Whitten are excellent blockers too.

    As you can see, not everyone thinks Gronk is the best (personally, I think he is when healthy)
    http://allknowingfootballguy.wordpre...-in-nfl-today/

    As for Pitta, I guess I'm being optimistic that this year he'll prove to be a top 7 or top 5 TE; I suppose up till now he's been more of a top 10 arguably.

    And yes, AP's stats, not his capability, would be reduced if the Vikings had a better QB/better receivers because he would get fewer carries. Same with Megatron, if the Lions had a decent #2 WR and healthy RBs. He'd still be the best WR in the league, but he wouldn't be threatening to break 2000 yards in one season.
    Davis is probably the closest tow way TE, but Gronk is both a better blocker and receiver by quite a margin.

    And yes, Trap, there is a way to say that Gronk is better then our entire draft from that year... I'll say it until the cows come home and I still 100% believe it's true.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland