View Poll Results: Who will you blame if the offense still struggles?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jim Caldwell

    1 3.03%
  • Joe Flacco

    17 51.52%
  • John Harbaugh

    1 3.03%
  • Ozzie Newsome

    10 30.30%
  • The O-Line

    4 12.12%
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 49 to 60 of 173
  1. #49

    Re: What If It Wasn't Cam?



    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Did the Ravens win a Lombardi? Did they not blow out the 49'ers if not for a power outage? It wasn't the offense that let the 9ers get close.
    Did the Ravens win a Lombardi? Yes. Did Caldwell employ a lot of Run Run Pass series? Yes. What's your point? One thing doesn't negate the other. He DID employ a lot of Run Run Pass schemes; that's a fact. And that sort of approach is considered conservative. What Caldwell will do in 2013 remains to be seen. But if he chooses to continue to employ such schemes, then it'll be that much clearer what sort of OC he really is. Last year was Caldwell's first shot at being an OC, and it was under rather unusual circumstances to say the least. I've acknowledged that he's better than Cameron, but how much better remains to be seen.




  2. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    8,465
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: What If It Wasn't Cam?

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    Did the Ravens win a Lombardi? Yes. Did Caldwell employ a lot of Run Run Pass series? Yes. What's your point? One thing doesn't negate the other. He DID employ a lot of Run Run Pass schemes; that's a fact. And that sort of approach is considered conservative. What Caldwell will do in 2013 remains to be seen. But if he chooses to continue to employ such schemes, then it'll be that much clearer what sort of OC he really is. Last year was Caldwell's first shot at being an OC, and it was under rather unusual circumstances to say the least. I've acknowledged that he's better than Cameron, but how much better remains to be seen.
    My point is that Caldwell did what he needed to do to win. Does that mean he'll take the same approach in 2013? Nope...

    I think that Caldwell will run a scheme that best fits the guys he has on offense. We'll just have to see what happens.




  3. #51

    Re: What If It Wasn't Cam?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    My point is that Caldwell did what he needed to do to win. Does that mean he'll take the same approach in 2013? Nope...

    I think that Caldwell will run a scheme that best fits the guys he has on offense. We'll just have to see what happens.
    I hope so. I'm just not convinced is all.




  4. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    21,280

    Re: What If It Wasn't Cam?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    We had over $5 million before resigning Leach.

    I would not have re-signed Leach, had cut McClain for sure and if needed, Jacoby. None of whom are worth as much to this team as Boldin...one guy I've never liked and may never play again, another player plays a position that is being phased out and we wound up releasing anyway, and the last guy is a food return man, but has never shown himself to be a reliable WR...and I'd rather worry about the young WR's replacing a kick returner than Boldin.

    There are other options available as well such as at least discussing a short extension with Boldin, or asking another player to take a pay cut or restructure.

    Boldin's cap number was not this outrageous number that would have required gutting the team to retain.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    You're playing a little hindsight here.

    At the time Boldin was jettisoned, we were right up against the cap. It's only now do we know how much we'd have on hand to allow us to keep him.

    He wanted more money than we were comfortable allowing ... at the time.

    And nobody seems to acknowledge his, shall we say, head butting with the head coach. No amount of cap space makes sense to keep such a player.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  5. #53

    Re: What If It Wasn't Cam?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    You're playing a little hindsight here.

    At the time Boldin was jettisoned, we were right up against the cap. It's only now do we know how much we'd have on hand to allow us to keep him.

    He wanted more money than we were comfortable allowing ... at the time.

    And nobody seems to acknowledge his, shall we say, head butting with the head coach. No amount of cap space makes sense to keep such a player.
    I don't feel that way at all.

    We've been consistently between $3-7 million under the cap.

    I said at the very start of UFA, I would have cut Leach, no questions asked at the very beginning. I also would have cut McClain from the jump as I've never been a fan and as a replacement level LB, he was overpaid while there have always been LBs at that level available for peanuts (not to mention I never felt confident that he would ever play again even back then).

    I mean, just because I'm talking about those moves now doesn't mean that they weren't options then...or could have been while perusing Doom and Huff.

    To me, I'm just responding to someone who asked what would I have done...and honestly, I've been saying I would have green lighted those moves from the very moment the rumors of him leaving started.

    Now if the team just says he wasn't worth his money, I will wholeheartedly disagree although that is clearly the case.

    My issue is that it isn't a case of the team not being able to keep Q and still sign Doom and Huff and others. They clearly could have no matter how many times posters want to say they couldn't have.

    They didn't want to pay him that money...and it's something I disagree with and think has huge potential to bite us in the ass.

    FWIW, I'm not throwing the towel in on the season, nor do I think I'm better than Ozzie. I just don't agree with that move.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  6. #54

    Re: What If It Wasn't Cam?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I don't feel that way at all.

    We've been consistently between $3-7 million under the cap.

    I said at the very start of UFA, I would have cut Leach, no questions asked at the very beginning. I also would have cut McClain from the jump as I've never been a fan and as a replacement level LB, he was overpaid while there have always been LBs at that level available for peanuts (not to mention I never felt confident that he would ever play again even back then).

    I mean, just because I'm talking about those moves now doesn't mean that they weren't options then...or could have been while perusing Doom and Huff.

    To me, I'm just responding to someone who asked what would I have done...and honestly, I've been saying I would have green lighted those moves from the very moment the rumors of him leaving started.

    Now if the team just says he wasn't worth his money, I will wholeheartedly disagree although that is clearly the case.

    My issue is that it isn't a case of the team not being able to keep Q and still sign Doom and Huff and others. They clearly could have no matter how many times posters want to say they couldn't have.

    They didn't want to pay him that money...and it's something I disagree with and think has huge potential to bite us in the ass.

    FWIW, I'm not throwing the towel in on the season, nor do I think I'm better than Ozzie. I just don't agree with that move.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    To me, the Ravens looked at Boldin's overall production for the last few years and decided that they could survive without it. I feel that they didn't take into account the complete moron calling the plays and underusing their best possession reciever. Boldin with Cam was average, but Bolding without Cam was unstoppable. The front office really dragged their feet in getting rid of that piece of shit Cameron and aren't willing to acept how good Boldin really is.




  7. #55

    Re: What If It Wasn't Cam?

    Quote Originally Posted by mfdoom42 View Post
    Boldin never had a great season in Baltimore, and the $6M (not $2M) that was saved in cap space was used to acquire Elvis Dumervil and Michael Huff. Move on.
    He never had a great season while Cameron was here, but look at what happened once the Raven's braintrust finally figured out the problem.




  8. #56

    Re: What If It Wasn't Cam?

    My bottom line opinion on Boldin is this.

    If you say, the team didn't think he was worth his cap number and didn't "want" to pay him at his previous salary, I'd say, you are 100% correct, although I disagree with that assessment 100%.

    But if you say, that we wouldn't be able to make moves with him at his previous salary, I'd say BS for the reasons I previously stated.

    We let a lot of players go..some were good and one in particular was incredibly emotionally difficult to realize he will be in another uniform.

    But I completely and totally understand why each one of them had to go. Each had perfectly valid football reasons that I think any objective observer would understand.

    Except Boldin IMHO.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  9. #57

    Re: What If It Wasn't Cam?

    RIW:

    Your points are well stated and I agree with the basic premise that if the Ravens had wanted to retain Boldin they certainly could have from a financial perspective, and further, that they made a conscious decision to cut him loose, for whatever reason(s). I personally agree with that decision, although I do not agree with their strategy to replace him with players already on the roster. I don't think JJ is a true #2 wideout, and I think it's a risky gamble to think that Reed or Doss will emerge, but it's possible, I suppose.




  10. #58

    Re: What If It Wasn't Cam?

    Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    RIW:

    Your points are well stated and I agree with the basic premise that if the Ravens had wanted to retain Boldin they certainly could have from a financial perspective, and further, that they made a conscious decision to cut him loose, for whatever reason(s). I personally agree with that decision, although I do not agree with their strategy to replace him with players already on the roster. I don't think JJ is a true #2 wideout, and I think it's a risky gamble to think that Reed or Doss will emerge, but it's possible, I suppose.
    He wasn't cut, they traded him after he wouldn't take a pay cut. Yes, they could have kept him. Right now there isn't enough cap space for Boldin's 6m. Who would we cut to overpay him? The fact is he's gone. When the season is over we can discuss the wisdom or folly of trading him. Next man up, whoever that is.




  11. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    2,192
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What If It Wasn't Cam?

    Nobody catches these passes in the league. I don't care what anybody says. Boldin was an important piece to this to the offense and he's going to be missed. Period. It was a mistake to trade him for some bullshit... I hope I'm wrong.

    Boldin Catch 4.JPGBolding Catch 3.JPG
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"




  12. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,060
    Blog Entries
    4
    Caldwell ran the ball a ton in OT against Denver because of the conditions, I'm not sure if even Flacco could have kept throwing those bombs. Besides it was through one of those runs that set up the winning FG.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland