Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 57
  1. #25

    Re: Top d bags from Baltimore sports history



    Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    downside-
    Not sure I understand why the team is on your list, I doubt they had much input into that decision. My suspicion is that the call was made by the owner and a couple top execs, maybe even with guidance from MLB, although I have no evidence.
    That is a fair point, Beau. I suppose there is plenty of blame to go around but far as "Baltimore Sports History" it seemed unfair to list all of MLB when the Orioles are the Baltimore manifestation of the MLB.




  2. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hazzard County
    Posts
    1,206

    Re: Top d bags from Baltimore sports history

    I guess we could add John Elway, even though he never played for Baltimore.




  3. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    382

    Re: Top d bags from Baltimore sports history

    Quote Originally Posted by DrUnk View Post
    I guess we could add John Elway, even though he never played for Baltimore.
    I thought of him too, then again he didn't want to play for Kush (not that it matters IMO). Lots of rookies play for coaches and teams that aren't their first choice.
    Last edited by Derf; 08-02-2013 at 02:31 PM.




  4. #28

    Re: Top d bags from Baltimore sports history

    LeRon McClain. Can't respect spitting in a guys face.

    Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2




  5. #29

    Re: Top d bags from Baltimore sports history

    Quote Originally Posted by downside52 View Post
    The entire 2013 Orioles team/organization for not doing the right thing and canceling the game with the White Sox so that the Ravens could open at home.
    The NFL - for putting the Ravens and O's in a all lose situation!




  6. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,615
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Top d bags from Baltimore sports history

    Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I wouldn't judge an athlete by a brief personal interaction with them, and I haven't even ever personally had one that made me dislike the person. But following your title, here are my Top D-Bags in Baltimore Sports History:

    10: Deion Sanders – I have no reason for including him here except that, well, I hate that guy. Always hated that guy. Had to hold my nose while cheering for him.

    9: Eddie Murray – I don’t blame him for the rub with the media. But I blame him for letting it interfere with what could have been a beautiful love affair between player and city.

    8: Chris McAlister – I hate putting him here, because he played great and helped win us a Lombardi. But he pissed away a chance at being an all-time great.

    7: Frank Robinson – Great player, but there are so many fan anecdotes about him being a standoffish prima donna that there’s gotta be some fire behind that smoke.

    6: Erik Bedard – Taking himself out of games when he’s pitching shutouts might be the least annoying thing about him.

    5: Sydney Ponson – Tub of lard made more in one season that Palmer made in his ENTIRE CAREER. Chew on that.

    4: Peter Angelos – Yeah, the team is lovable now, but MAN did you screw up a good thing.

    3: Johnny Sample – (Allegedly) stole from a teammate’s locker. Are you kidding?
    It's true. He did steal from his teammates. That's well known amongst old timers. The owner
    caught him red handed when he hired a midget and hid him in the ventalator shaft and he
    took pics of him taking stuff out of lockers. The entire team complained about it.

    After Rosey got the evidence he called a meeting of the team captains, Gino, Unitas and
    someone else. Rosey didn't want to let him go because he might come back to hault them and
    he did in SB 3. Weeb the coach liked him and didn't want him to go but the players did.
    Gino and JOhn really didn't want hm to go but they represented the team and the team
    wanted him gone.

    So Rosey says OK, he's gone but it's on you guys not me. Gino said the hell with that. Its
    your decision. So they fired him.

    When Sample saw Unitas before the SB game in Miami he said not today big guy. YOu're
    not pulling it out today. John said hey man, do you still have the watch you stole out of
    my locker? LOL

    Sample ended up in prison years later for stealing social security checks or something like
    that and even then he said he was innocent.

    But I wouldn't put Sample on the all time d-bag list even though he helped beat us in
    SB 3 - Rosey's worse nightmare. Weeb signed him as soon as he got to NY.
    UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU.




  7. #31

    Re: Top d bags from Baltimore sports history

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    It's true. He did steal from his teammates. That's well known amongst old timers. The owner
    caught him red handed when he hired a midget and hid him in the ventalator shaft and he
    took pics of him taking stuff out of lockers. The entire team complained about it.
    Wow, that seems so bizarre nowadays when you can fit a camera into something tiny and discreet.

    I can't even imagine the conversation involved for hiring someone short and explaining their job was to hide in an air conditioning shaft




  8. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,615
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Top d bags from Baltimore sports history

    No one would ever put Earl Weaver on the d-bag but he'd be right on top of the all time
    ass hole list for blowing all those series with all that talent he had.

    There was the time at Martin's WEst when there was a big sports banquet and Earl literally
    and physically attacked Jim Palmer on stage and they had to separate the two. That was all
    over the papers. That was also after Palmer's book that wasn't as complimentry to Earl as
    Earl would have liked it to be because he kept yelling about that book up on the stage.

    A reporter told me Earl was out in the hallway before that charging $25 pr signature and he was drunk like more than once in public when he was pulled over by a cop for DUI and
    called him crater face or something like that because he had pimples-lol. That was back
    in the days when DUIs weren't as serious as they are now.

    When the local beat writers asked Earl about it he said it must have been those
    oysters he ate. Bob Maisel wrote - stay away from those oysters Earl-lol.


    The Martin's West thing blew over like it always did between the two and they went on an Orioles cruise together but Earl could be a real ass hole when he wanted too.
    Jim said it all started the first time he faced Johnny Bench in the minors and Earl was a manager. Earl didn't like junk balls so he told Jim to serve him his best fastball. Jim
    said I don't think that's a good idea Earl. Bench had a reputation as a HR hitter even in
    the minors. Earl said just do what I said and Jim did and Bench hit it out. Jim said he
    never listened to Earl again and always sat in the opposite end of the dugout from him
    during games-lol.



    Palmer said in the book Earl was always throwing chairs and coolers around in the club house
    and it made the team really uptight just before a game, so they went out and played
    uptight. That's why they lost those series according to the book.

    JIm said they won it all in 83 the year after Earl left just to prove they could win it all
    without him. I think that was the part of the book that pissed Earl off but he later
    said on ESPN that he had 17 wonderful years with Jim Palmer.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 08-03-2013 at 02:03 PM.
    UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU.




  9. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,615
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Top d bags from Baltimore sports history

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Raven View Post
    Wow, that seems so bizarre nowadays when you can fit a camera into something tiny and discreet.

    I can't even imagine the conversation involved for hiring someone short and explaining their job was to hide in an air conditioning shaft

    It's in his book - JOHNNY U by Johnny Unitas.

    REad it. Also read Confessions of A Dirty Football Player by Johnny Sample where
    he talks about being black listed for stealing money out of lockers. Click on
    first link in the google link It even mentions being documented in John's book.
    Sample even mentions how cheap the Jets were-lol and his version of the battle
    between Pete Rozelle and Namath over his Bachelors 3 bar in NY. MUST READING!


    http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 08-03-2013 at 01:56 PM.
    UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU.




  10. #34

    Re: Top d bags from Baltimore sports history

    Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    The NFL - for putting the Ravens and O's in a all lose situation!
    Exactly. The NFL apparently didn't consider the ravens to be a Super Bowl contender, so they didn't request that MLB not schedule the Orioles for a home game September 5 when MLB was making out the schedule. If any entity is at fault for the season opener screw up, it's the NFL.
    Al




  11. #35

    Re: Top d bags from Baltimore sports history

    Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    I thought of him too, then again he didn't want to play for Kush (not that it matters IMO). Lots of rookies play for coaches and teams that aren't their first choice.

    Didn't want to play for Irsay, either.

    Elway's mistake was how he said what he said. If he'd never said that he doesn't want to play in Baltimore, and instead said he doesn't want to play for Bob Irsay, he wouldn't have gotten the hate from us fans (or as much as he got.) Disparaging Baltimore, even if that wasn't his intent, is what really angered us, IMO.
    Al




  12. #36

    Re: Top d bags from Baltimore sports history

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    No one would ever put Earl Weaver on the d-bag but he'd be right on top of the all time
    ass hole list for blowing all those series with all that talent he had.

    There was the time at Martin's WEst when there was a big sports banquet and Earl literally
    and physically attacked Jim Palmer on stage and they had to separate the two. That was all
    over the papers. That was also after Palmer's book that wasn't as complimentry to Earl as
    Earl would have liked it to be because he kept yelling about that book up on the stage.

    A reporter told me Earl was out in the hallway before that charging $25 pr signature and he was drunk like more than once in public when he was pulled over by a cop for DUI and
    called him crater face or something like that because he had pimples-lol. That was back
    in the days when DUIs weren't as serious as they are now.

    When the local beat writers asked Earl about it he said it must have been those
    oysters he ate. Bob Maisel wrote - stay away from those oysters Earl-lol.


    The Martin's West thing blew over like it always did between the two and they went on an Orioles cruise together but Earl could be a real ass hole when he wanted too.
    Jim said it all started the first time he faced Johnny Bench in the minors and Earl was a manager. Earl didn't like junk balls so he told Jim to serve him his best fastball. Jim
    said I don't think that's a good idea Earl. Bench had a reputation as a HR hitter even in
    the minors. Earl said just do what I said and Jim did and Bench hit it out. Jim said he
    never listened to Earl again and always sat in the opposite end of the dugout from him
    during games-lol.



    Palmer said in the book Earl was always throwing chairs and coolers around in the club house
    and it made the team really uptight just before a game, so they went out and played
    uptight. That's why they lost those series according to the book.

    JIm said they won it all in 83 the year after Earl left just to prove they could win it all
    without him. I think that was the part of the book that pissed Earl off but he later
    said on ESPN that he had 17 wonderful years with Jim Palmer.
    Anything can happen in a short series (or a single NFL postseason game.)

    In the 1969 Series, they couldn't hit Mets' pitchers. In 1979, Eddie Murray went 1for his last 21, or thereabouts, and the rest of the offense withered with him (two runs in the last three games, all losses.)
    Al




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland