Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 44
  1. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,129

    Re: Very concerning but nothing......



    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    1. The pointing out is being done by Sharpton, et al. To point out the hypocrisy requires some pointing as well. Are you suggesting we just ignore these race hustlers? I think it needs to be made plainly clear that he is a liar and blackmailer.
    Yes, they should be ignored for the very reasons you mentioned.

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    2. You are correct but the hucksters and this thread are about cross-race crime.
    Ok. So a differing view of the problem is not allowed or something? I know exactly what the the OP intended with his link. What I am saying is this tit-for-tat view of race and crime is more damaging than the crime itself, amounting for a small fraction of crime.

    Point out the hypocrisy. I am on board with that. The problem though, IMO, is far more than simple hypocrisy.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  2. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,258

    Re: Very concerning but nothing......

    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    There's nothing hypocritical about being a single issue advocate who doesn't get involved in events unrelated to that issue. Sharpton and Jackson, whether you agree with them or not, focus their efforts on what they perceive as discrimination against blacks. Since that isn't the issue here why should they comment?
    "Single issue advocate"
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  3. #27

    Re: Very concerning but nothing......

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Cut it out with the Lib BS. Both parties are full of shit and full of liars, cheaters and all types of political slime. As if all this countries problems are due to Dems or due to Repubs...it's a joke.

    As for your discrimination, I'm sorry and I know it stinks...but do you really want to go tit for tat on instances of perceived discrimination? As an African American who has experienced redlining by banks and housing developments, problems getting loans that my white friends get with ease with the same credit ratings, problems finding employment despite having high qualifications and the same promotion problems you described...and many others.

    I'm not turning this into a woe is me post, but it's not comparable. For every instance you can come up with, there are numerous minorities that face it every day.



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Having worked in lending both for auto loans and mortgages, I have to say that I believe that you are misunderstanding the lending process if you believe the above statement. There is far more to lending then a simple credit score, and the other details BESIDES race are what I believed were the differemce in your lending experience. I know for auto loans there is NO WAY that I could even convey to a lender what the race of the applicant was. The system wouldn't let me. And for mortgages, yes it is on the application, but I also know that the computerized underwriting systems gave "bonus points" for being a minority. Yes, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac incentivize being a minority.

    And as for the short end of the stick... well Straight white males are the only unprotected demographic in this country. We might not have the short end of the stick but we "perhaps rightfully" are the only unprotected demographic. You can say that the "system is rigged for us" as a general rule, and I won't entirely disagree. Once it's past number's on a page and involve people looking at other people I can't say for sure what enters every random person's mind.

    As an example, I went to Baltimore City traffic court one day, and Dressd in a suit, speaking very clearly and carefully stating my case,yes I recieved better treatment from the judge then the Afican Americans wearing hoodies and jerseys talking like they were chewing gum(and some were) with sunglasses on their head. That said, the African American that dressed for the situation and talked clearly in good sentence structure and presented a sane and reasonable argument was treated with the same respect I was. Many would call that racist, but I personally thought it was discrimination more related to respect and proffesionalism for the courts, which IMO is not a bad thing at all. The judge was an African American female.


    Edit: Having thought more about it, I would believe if you said that your white friends with Equal Credit Profiles(more then just score, the entire profile including income and debt ratios etc) were presented with better financial terms. The thing is, a loan officer can't profit from a loan they don't give. A loan officer that declined a Black man that they could get approved is hurting his own pocket, and anyone in sales that does that won't be in sales for long. That said, terms are presented based on one's perceived strength in the negotiating process. I have personally met several people who automatically assume that African Americans have less knowledge of their options and where they should qualify. Therefore they "assume" more profit from the start.
    Last edited by jonboy79; 08-08-2013 at 11:30 AM.




  4. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    11,358
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Very concerning but nothing......

    BEST POST EVER. EVER!

    I also went into court dressed up for jury duty. It was a murder trial for a young man and I always wanted to be on jury duty and especially a murder trial. Only one guy over 50 was selected and he was a minority and well dressed. It was summer so there were no hoodies but everyone else was young wearing T-shirt and jeans.

    The last thing the lawyer wanted was a white dude dressed up.
    UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU.




  5. #29

    Re: Very concerning but nothing......

    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Other than the implication that somehow white people are on the short end of the race relations stick?
    You mean like when the federal government is trying to railroad an innocent man for defending himself?




  6. #30

    Re: Very concerning but nothing......

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Having worked in lending both for auto loans and mortgages, I have to say that I believe that you are misunderstanding the lending process if you believe the above statement. There is far more to lending then a simple credit score, and the other details BESIDES race are what I believed were the differemce in your lending experience. I know for auto loans there is NO WAY that I could even convey to a lender what the race of the applicant was. The system wouldn't let me. And for mortgages, yes it is on the application, but I also know that the computerized underwriting systems gave "bonus points" for being a minority. Yes, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac incentivize being a minority.

    And as for the short end of the stick... well Straight white males are the only unprotected demographic in this country. We might not have the short end of the stick but we "perhaps rightfully" are the only unprotected demographic. You can say that the "system is rigged for us" as a general rule, and I won't entirely disagree. Once it's past number's on a page and involve people looking at other people I can't say for sure what enters every random person's mind.

    As an example, I went to Baltimore City traffic court one day, and Dressd in a suit, speaking very clearly and carefully stating my case,yes I recieved better treatment from the judge then the Afican Americans wearing hoodies and jerseys talking like they were chewing gum(and some were) with sunglasses on their head. That said, the African American that dressed for the situation and talked clearly in good sentence structure and presented a sane and reasonable argument was treated with the same respect I was. Many would call that racist, but I personally thought it was discrimination more related to respect and proffesionalism for the courts, which IMO is not a bad thing at all. The judge was an African American female.


    Edit: Having thought more about it, I would believe if you said that your white friends with Equal Credit Profiles(more then just score, the entire profile including income and debt ratios etc) were presented with better financial terms. The thing is, a loan officer can't profit from a loan they don't give. A loan officer that declined a Black man that they could get approved is hurting his own pocket, and anyone in sales that does that won't be in sales for long. That said, terms are presented based on one's perceived strength in the negotiating process. I have personally met several people who automatically assume that African Americans have less knowledge of their options and where they should qualify. Therefore they "assume" more profit from the start.
    I had and have had minimal debt...maybe it was a poor choice of words, but other than being white, there wasn't much difference. In fact, I know for sure my friend had more debt than I did as I had paid off my student loans and car note whereas he still was making payments on both.

    As for the unprotected demo...of course...white males have been and are in firm control of every aspect of this country. From the Judicial system to the lawmaking system to the financial system, they are run by and large, white males. The reason protections for minorities were and are put in place is because those in control of our country/society either directly or allowed took advantage and in many cases, abused power and minorities were getting completely taken advantage of.

    Those protections weren't and aren't put in there for minorities for no reason.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  7. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,258

    Re: Very concerning but nothing......

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I had and have had minimal debt...maybe it was a poor choice of words, but other than being white, there wasn't much difference. In fact, I know for sure my friend had more debt than I did as I had paid off my student loans and car note whereas he still was making payments on both.

    As for the unprotected demo...of course...white males have been and are in firm control of every aspect of this country. From the Judicial system to the lawmaking system to the financial system, they are run by and large, white males. The reason protections for minorities were and are put in place is because those in control of our country/society either directly or allowed took advantage and in many cases, abused power and minorities were getting completely taken advantage of.

    Those protections weren't and aren't put in there for minorities for no reason.
    Obama, Holder?

    Also, if you put protections in place only for a certain groups, aren't you then discriminating against the group you excluded fro the protection?
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  8. #32

    Re: Very concerning but nothing......

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I had and have had minimal debt...maybe it was a poor choice of words, but other than being white, there wasn't much difference. In fact, I know for sure my friend had more debt than I did as I had paid off my student loans and car note whereas he still was making payments on both.

    As for the unprotected demo...of course...white males have been and are in firm control of every aspect of this country. From the Judicial system to the lawmaking system to the financial system, they are run by and large, white males. The reason protections for minorities were and are put in place is because those in control of our country/society either directly or allowed took advantage and in many cases, abused power and minorities were getting completely taken advantage of.

    Those protections weren't and aren't put in there for minorities for no reason.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    with your friend still making payments on those loans, that is actually BETTER from a credit perspective. Unless the acount was JUST paid off, as in within the past 90 days, it s BETTER to be open and still making on time payments. Even better still is the last few months right before you pay something off, that is when your credit profile will appear the best to computer "underwriting" systems.

    And again, there is STILL more to the story, time on job, time in fjob field, time at current residence, and most importantly income source, stability and how it relates to your monthly outstanding debt.
    A credit card with a balance between 1/4 and 1/2 of its limit with on-time payemtns is MUCH better then a credit card with no balance. Loans/credit cards with Credit Unions are VERY bad for your credit as compared to normal banks, as they are cheap and screw you over by ONLY submitting late payments to credit reporting agencies, so that everflowing line of "one's" that a normal bank sends for on time payments do not get factored into your score.

    Chapter 13 of Credit Counseling is basically credit suicide until it has finished. Medical collections are for all intents and purposes inconsequential.

    There si a LOT more I could go on forever, needless o say, MOST people have no idea what it takes to seem appealing for banks to lend money to. My parents generations way of goign about it(money int eh bank, only borrowin when necessary, paying credit cards off every month, tc) is one of the WORST ways to do it, despite that seeming exactly the smartest way to do so.

    The credit industry is rigged to reward those that pay lots of interest. In simple terms.




  9. #33

    Re: Very concerning but nothing......

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Obama, Holder?

    Also, if you put protections in place only for a certain groups, aren't you then discriminating against the group you excluded fro the protection?
    Do you honestly Thant having Obama and Holder in office for 8 years means that the establishment isn't still controlled by white males? There are 2 big lawmaking houses that act as a check and balance...there are thousands of corporations and banks. Am I to believe that all is well now?

    As for your second point, absolutely not...when that group has a history of discrimination against others, and not towards their own.




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  10. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,258

    Re: Very concerning but nothing......

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Do you honestly Thant having Obama and Holder in office for 8 years means that the establishment isn't still controlled by white males? There are 2 big lawmaking houses that act as a check and balance...there are thousands of corporations and banks. Am I to believe that all is well now?
    What establishment? And either way, that's not what you said.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    As for your second point, absolutely not...when that group has a history of discrimination against others, and not towards their own.
    So... what you're saying is, two wrongs make a right?
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  11. #35

    Re: Very concerning but nothing......

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    What establishment? And either way, that's not what you said.



    So... what you're saying is, two wrongs make a right?
    The establishment are those that run this country. White males still run this country, still are the vast majority making the rules and laws.

    And, I don't think the protections in place for minorities are a wrong for white males at all...what exactly are these protections that need to be in place for those who are privileged that are so unfair?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  12. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,258

    Re: Very concerning but nothing......

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    And, I don't think the protections in place for minorities are a wrong for white males at all...what exactly are these protections that need to be in place for those who are privileged that are so unfair?
    Protections need to be in place for everyone, not just specific groups. What are we supposed to do when White men are the minority? Retool the laws?
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland