Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    13,043
    Blog Entries
    1

    RG3's rockstar persona



    Let me first open this up by saying, I have nothing PERSONAL against RG3. As a person, he seems like a great guy.

    No, what I am having an issue with is how blown out of proportion his stature is. From the draft last year onward, he's gotten such a built up legend, you would think he's the most prolific college QB to enter the NFL EVER. Then, after his knee injury, he had more cameras and reporters following him than Favre during his wishy washy will I retire won't I hey day, reporting on everything RG3 was able to do with his knee.

    NEWSFLASH, I JUST HEARD THAT RG3 WAS ABLE TO DO JUMPING JACKS WHILE SINGING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM AND HIS KNEE FELT FINE!!!!!!!!

    And now...there's going to be a prime time ESPN special on his road to comeback called "RG3: The Will to Win".

    If I was Andrew Luck, I'd be laughing about all of this. I've played in as many preseason games as RG3, I've won more OROY awards than RG3, but has anyone stuck a camera in my face this offseason? Am I alone here? Seems like the press is itching to anoint RG3 the best QB in the NFL as soon as he throws his first TD of the year.

    Just a bit overhyped. Especially with Redskin fans, who act like he's this magical football god who can float across water.
    .
    .
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  2. #2

    Re: RG3's rockstar persona

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    If I was Andrew Luck, I'd be laughing about all of this. I've played in as many preseason games as RG3, I've won more OROY awards than RG3, but has anyone stuck a camera in my face this offseason? Am I alone here? Seems like the press is itching to anoint RG3 the best QB in the NFL as soon as he throws his first TD of the year.

    Just a bit overhyped. Especially with Redskin fans, who act like he's this magical football god who can float across water.
    No, I don't think you are alone. There are a several factors at work.

    First, and foremost, he is a very marketable player. He says all the right things, and (as far as we know) keeps his nose clean.

    Second, and this can't be understated in today's era, he's a great fantasy football player. So the casual NFL fan that knows only his/her local team probably takes more of an interest in those top 10 fantasy players.

    Lastly, he is "The One" when it comes to the Redskins fans. That organization has been down for so long and promised for the last 20 seasons that "this year will be the year" that when a player finally comes along that elevates the competitiveness of the team from also-ran to playoff team (if only a marginal one at that), there will be a tremendous amount of pent-up hopes and dreams unleashed on this one player (fairly or not...more not). Think of the hype surrounding Matt Wieters and times that by about 20.

    Of the 3 players, I think Luck as the more long-term potential to bring his team multiple championships. RG3 is very good, but I just don't think his style of play leads to a long NFL career. Time will tell...




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Columbia, MD
    Posts
    441

    Re: RG3's rockstar persona

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Let me first open this up by saying, I have nothing PERSONAL against RG3. As a person, he seems like a great guy.

    No, what I am having an issue with is how blown out of proportion his stature is. From the draft last year onward, he's gotten such a built up legend, you would think he's the most prolific college QB to enter the NFL EVER. Then, after his knee injury, he had more cameras and reporters following him than Favre during his wishy washy will I retire won't I hey day, reporting on everything RG3 was able to do with his knee.

    NEWSFLASH, I JUST HEARD THAT RG3 WAS ABLE TO DO JUMPING JACKS WHILE SINGING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM AND HIS KNEE FELT FINE!!!!!!!!

    And now...there's going to be a prime time ESPN special on his road to comeback called "RG3: The Will to Win".

    If I was Andrew Luck, I'd be laughing about all of this. I've played in as many preseason games as RG3, I've won more OROY awards than RG3, but has anyone stuck a camera in my face this offseason? Am I alone here? Seems like the press is itching to anoint RG3 the best QB in the NFL as soon as he throws his first TD of the year.

    Just a bit overhyped. Especially with Redskin fans, who act like he's this magical football god who can float across water.
    Not to defend Rgiii, as I think he's a douche bag, but he actually won the OROY, not Luck.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    2,256
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: RG3's rockstar persona

    Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    Not to defend Rgiii, as I think he's a douche bag, but he actually won the OROY, not Luck.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Just curious as to what he did for you to think he is a douche bag?



    OP I tend to agree with you but can you really blame this on him? It's not him that's driving it, it's the media who's pushing the entire thing. It's like they won't leave him along or stop talking about him. He's the flashy QB that the media has been looking for and they're going to run with it till the wheels fall off.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    13,043
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: RG3's rockstar persona

    huh, not sure why I thought Luck won ROY...yeah, you are right it was RG3 who won it.

    And I don't blame him for it, I just get a bit tired of the way the media and Redskin fanbase overhypes him. That said, he did have an incredibly successful rookie season, as did Luck and Wilson.
    .
    .
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  6. #6

    Re: RG3's rockstar persona

    This is ESPN playing the numbers game like they always do now. He is a marketable guy, very likable, and he is on the Redskins, a huge market team, with the potential for a massive bunch of bandwagon fans. Ever since their superbowl runs, there have been fans all over the country waiting with rubber hog noses and ugly dresses gathering dust in the closet. Their fan base has been clamoring for a true superstar to get behind forever. Look at the Brian Orakpo commercials from Geico, they let him do commercials on a national level and dude can't act to save his life. Add to that the fact that RGIII is intelligent, articulate and seems to have good values and poof, you get what you see, lots of hype. I personally like him and hope he lives up to most of it.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland