Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Results 85 to 96 of 120

Thread: Observations

  1. #85

    Re: Observations



    The pick was mostly Jacoby's fault. The throw was a smidgen late, and Gorrer made a great break/jump, but Jacoby just stood there vs. working back.

    The problem was that it was 3rd and 15, and "working back to the ball" was going to mean a failure to pick up the 1st down. So Jacoby mistakenly waited and waited, wanting the 1st down, instead of coming back to the ball for a 13 yard completion. The latter is much preferable; we could have had a longish, ~50yd FG attempt, gone for a short 4th down, or even a punted, with all being better results than an INT, obviously.

    The route either needs to be run deeper so that any comeback does not make a completion short of the sticks. Or the throw has to be made way earlier or a lot harder so that the ball arrives as Jones stops (just beyond the sticks). That said, I am sure the 3rd and 15 route gets less practice reps than the 3rd and 10 route, so the down and distance might have been the biggest contributor.

    I also am not sure Jones was the best target there.


    Check around the 0:40 mark:

    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...ers-highlights




  2. #86

    Re: Observations

    We do not have a #2 wr that can get open when the Ravens run a traditional I formation with Leach in the game. The running game is not good enough to require other teams to sell out to stop it. The play action game out of that set it is abysmal. Guys just don't get open. That is why last night you saw most of the passes go to the rbs. It has been like that for 4 years. By the way most teams in the league would be in the same boat. To me the running game is no better with Leach in than it is out of a single back. Other than in goal line and short yardage situations. With the first team offense in there they tried to establish the run and could not. I hope in game two we see more single back and more open offense out of our first team. Maybe they were just trying to ease the starters into live game action.




  3. #87
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,200

    Re: Observations

    Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    We do not have a #2 wr that can get open when the Ravens run a traditional I formation with Leach in the game. The running game is not good enough to require other teams to sell out to stop it. The play action game out of that set it is abysmal. Guys just don't get open. That is why last night you saw most of the passes go to the rbs. It has been like that for 4 years. By the way most teams in the league would be in the same boat. To me the running game is no better with Leach in than it is out of a single back. Other than in goal line and short yardage situations. With the first team offense in there they tried to establish the run and could not. I hope in game two we see more single back and more open offense out of our first team. Maybe they were just trying to ease the starters into live game action.
    Are you basing all this off one preseaon game?
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  4. #88

    Re: Observations

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Are you basing all this off one preseaon game?
    It was like this last year before Caldwell took over. Boldin and Tsmith were outside. Boldin could not get separation and they would throw deep to Tsmith whether he was covered or not. That was basically the play action game under Cam with Leach on the field. I was hoping that they would still run the offense that they ran successfully at the end of last year last night. I was hoping for more 1 back formations so we could get a look at the receivers battling for the 2 and 3 spot. Example would be the Pierce run last night out of a single back formation.




  5. #89
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,200

    Re: Observations

    Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    It was like this last year before Caldwell took over. Boldin and Tsmith were outside. Boldin could not get separation and they would throw deep to Tsmith whether he was covered or not. That was basically the play action game under Cam with Leach on the field. I was hoping that they would still run the offense that they ran successfully at the end of last year last night. I was hoping for more 1 back formations so we could get a look at the receivers battling for the 2 and 3 spot. Example would be the Pierce run last night out of a single back formation.
    Yeah, but I don't think they are going to tip their hand on what the offensive scheme is going to be this year.

    My take on preseason is it's to measure guys on individual performances and to get people up to the speed of the game. Not to run the offense you're going to run for the year. That's what practice and maybe the 3rd preseason games is for.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  6. #90

    Re: Observations

    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...,1737462.story

    ** The first-team offense used at least a couple of bunch formations with two wide receivers and a tight end bunched together on one side of the formation and a third receiver alone on the other side. This is one of the wrinkles that offensive coordinator Jim Caldwell has added to the offense, because we didn’t see these types of formations often under Cam Cameron, who preferred to spread the field and attack the sidelines, not the middle of the field as much.




  7. #91
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Middle River
    Posts
    2,878
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Observations

    I saw some nice potential in Hamilton, enough to think he makes the team, and enough to understand why McAdoo was let go.

    Moe Lee is interesting, will follow him closer.

    Liked some things about Marlon Brown, hosing down the bandwagon just in case.... as others have said he has a chance.

    Saw Furstenburg's catch and whooped it up, also noticed him blocking once or twice.... think this week the FO wanted to see what VS had/brings. Hopefully next week Matt gets to be on the field with Flacco.... I really want to see if he is close or needs a bunch of learning.

    Mellette is eh, think he may be PS currently.

    Edgar Jones award goes to LaQuan Williams. Edgar survived longer than any of us thought possible when he first arrived with that LB class here. And LaQ is stating a case that he can't be cut either without weakening the team....you go terp!
    And @SaltwaterRider yep 3 Terp receivers would be neat. If you are a die-hard Terp fan you remember when 6 Maryland QBs started in the NFL one Sunday? Maybe before your time (some started due to injury like Kelley in Buffalo, and one MD QB started but not as a QB but as a TE)
    Heinz Field Ketchup official ketchup of the Ravens?




  8. #92

    Re: Observations

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    One preseason game comes and goes and this is your conclusion?

    I highly doubt they're bringing in a vet. The team has already said they're sticking with what they've got so, baring injury, we are going to see if this group can manage.

    I happen to think they're going to surprise everyone.
    Agreed.

    And after week one and two, three, four in the preseason and week one in the regular season in Torreys rookie season there were more than one who asked for everything else than Torrey, even Harper, was upset that we cut Mason and more than happy than we signed Lee Evans.




  9. #93
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,109
    Blog Entries
    4
    Heared that Laurent Robinson has been cleared from his concussion issues. May be worth the vet minimum. If healthy, he'd probably challenge for the #2 spot here.




  10. #94

    Re: Observations

    The defense: What can I say? They will be back in the top 5 rankings again. The D line is stacked with guys rotating and getting pressure on the opposing o line. LB core is also stacked with some good talent. Especially what Smith did. The secondary the cb needs more time to gel. Jimmy and chykie hopefully get it together. Elam a beast with the hits and coverage. No wonder Ozzie was smiling when he drafted him. And hope Moe Lee goes in the PS. The offense: I figured our starters would struggle at first but i wouldn't crucify them I would hold the judge as the preseason moves on. But LQ gotta start. This guy is mad underrated imo. And hope he continues to shine and hopes male the team. Thompson was decent but got hurt hope he's ok. Mellete has the potential hope he keep it up. Same with brown. Furstenburg had the spectacular catch he need to play with the starters. Ppl are underestimating him from starting at te. Rainy I hope he somehow makes the team in case pierce is not 100%. And tyrod can still scramble and his passing is improving.




  11. #95

    Re: Observations

    The throw was going to look late either way, because Jones looked to be the third or fourth option on the play. Then, Joe did hesitate before throwing it his way. However, Jones didn't come back to the ball. If he had, at the very worst, Gorrer would have broken it up. Even when Gorrer picked it he and Jones were almost even.

    These are not new issues for Jones. These are issues that he's constantly had in his career, when being asked to be a #2 WR. His routes are shaky and his hands are shaky. He can snag a few with nobody on him, but once bodies get on him, it's slim pickings.

    Honestly, This is starting to remind me of how Harbaugh handled Cundiff. He made Tucker work his way up, even though he already 'probably' felt that the move was going to be made. Then, he gave Tucker more time in preseason and put the pressure on him to see if he could handle it, because he already knew Cundiff couldn't.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  12. #96
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    777

    Re: Observations

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The throw was going to look late either way, because Jones looked to be the third or fourth option on the play. Then, Joe did hesitate before throwing it his way. However, Jones didn't come back to the ball. If he had, at the very worst, Gorrer would have broken it up. Even when Gorrer picked it he and Jones were almost even.

    These are not new issues for Jones. These are issues that he's constantly had in his career, when being asked to be a #2 WR. His routes are shaky and his hands are shaky. He can snag a few with nobody on him, but once bodies get on him, it's slim pickings.

    Honestly, This is starting to remind me of how Harbaugh handled Cundiff. He made Tucker work his way up, even though he already 'probably' felt that the move was going to be made. Then, he gave Tucker more time in preseason and put the pressure on him to see if he could handle it, because he already knew Cundiff couldn't.
    Ok but if that's the case who will be Justin Tucker in this analogy?




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland