Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 73 to 83 of 83
  1. #73

    Re: The Good, Bad & Ugly: Ravens @ Bucs



    They played big, fast and tough.....thats Ravens football.
    Way Down South in New Orleans




  2. #74

    Re: The Good, Bad & Ugly: Ravens @ Bucs

    Hey. Not even an honorable mention to Graham for running down a receiver who had at least a 5 yard head start?





  3. #75
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    10,751
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The Good, Bad & Ugly: Ravens @ Bucs

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Lee was brought in, because they felt Torrey wasn't ready. Lee got hurt and they were forced to play Torrey and work through the bumps. Look at what they have in Torrey now.

    We were all excited when we got Evans who almost beat us with Buff when he
    scored a couple of TDs in one game forcing it into OT, which the Ravens won.
    I think Ozzie gave up a 4th round draft pick for him.

    Buff must have known something. AFter he left here, Evans lasted about 10
    mins with his next team and he was out of football.

    I really felt for him, a really nice guy. He said he has a huge photo of that end zone
    drop in his living room to keep him humble but now Ozzie is saying he's not signing
    anyone because of that experience and with TJ doing the same thing. He's sticking
    with what he has.
    Pic of a natural act: UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU. THE PAST IS NOT DEAD, IN FACT, IT IS NOT EVEN PAST.' WILLIAM FAULKNER.




  4. #76
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Where Ravens Fans Roam Free
    Posts
    1,894

    Re: The Good, Bad & Ugly: Ravens @ Bucs

    Has there been any news about the extent of the injuries to Deonte Thompson and Bernard Pierce?




  5. #77

    Re: The Good, Bad & Ugly: Ravens @ Bucs

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Has there been any news about the extent of the injuries to Deonte Thompson and Bernard Pierce?
    Just that they're not practicing today

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2




  6. #78

    Re: The Good, Bad & Ugly: Ravens @ Bucs

    Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    We better get some help at WR because if we counting on guys that has been in the league for 3-4yrs and still hasn't got it yet? All of a sudden the light bulb is gonn go off? I was really hoping we would be fine then the Pitta injury kinda changed my tune. This group of Doss and Reed is what it is, now Thompson who had more promise than these two is out with an injury, Dickson who was turnt up is out with an injury, jacoby is a not a solid number 2 reciever...i'm hoping Mellette or Brown can be some Colston type players or else we are in trouble if we ride with this group.
    I agree. 3 or 4 years should be sufficient time to develop the skills required to be a starter. Looking at Doss specifically, if he can't step up and show that they've progressed, I would question if he ever will. Reed is a different. I think he may have the skills but it's hard to be certain with his constant injuries.




  7. #79

    Re: The Good, Bad & Ugly: Ravens @ Bucs

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    The vets were clearly better players. Maybe we should let Webbie go so we can start Asa Jackson since he doesn't get on the field either.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    It is not an apples for apples comparison. A defensive back who plays Nickel actually gets his chance to cover somebody. A wr who gets a few reps as a #3 will not get many balls thrown his way in the Ravens offense. The #3 wr last year was JJ and he had a pretty good year as a #3 as far as the Ravens offense goes. Teams are in nickel and dime defense way more than the Ravens use #4 and #5 wrs. The Ravens have also been hit with injuries which is how guys like Graham and Cary Williams got their opportunities. We don't know if the WRs got open and were just not targeted by what we see on tv.

    Ravens have remained fairly healthy at wr the last two years. Cam did not use many 3 wr sets. The Ravens had Pitta who could also be used as WR. JJ is not a #2. We have seen plenty of JJ to know that. He is a deep threat that is great in spot duty to stretch the field. I am disappointed that they have him hogging #2 snaps this pre season. If Doss and Reed can't step up this pre season I agree that they will never step up. That being said go three wide with the starters and see what these guys got. Don't go conservative power run with a few play action passes. Or run run 3rd and long.

    Some rookies looked good against the other teams scrubs. I think Williams and Fursty earned some first team reps this week. Mellette and Brown need to show a bit more. Fursty because he can work the middle. VS is a known commodity. Dickson is a known commodity. Fursty has some ability. Lets see if we can rely on him.




  8. #80
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    13,476
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The Good, Bad & Ugly: Ravens @ Bucs

    Watched the replay today. Very sloppy play but it is the first pre-season game so I guess it's to be expected. Some highlights as noted in the thread. Way too many penalties
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  9. #81

    Re: The Good, Bad & Ugly: Ravens @ Bucs

    Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    It is not an apples for apples comparison. A defensive back who plays Nickel actually gets his chance to cover somebody. A wr who gets a few reps as a #3 will not get many balls thrown his way in the Ravens offense. The #3 wr last year was JJ and he had a pretty good year as a #3 as far as the Ravens offense goes. Teams are in nickel and dime defense way more than the Ravens use #4 and #5 wrs. The Ravens have also been hit with injuries which is how guys like Graham and Cary Williams got their opportunities. We don't know if the WRs got open and were just not targeted by what we see on tv.

    Ravens have remained fairly healthy at wr the last two years. Cam did not use many 3 wr sets. The Ravens had Pitta who could also be used as WR. JJ is not a #2. We have seen plenty of JJ to know that. He is a deep threat that is great in spot duty to stretch the field. I am disappointed that they have him hogging #2 snaps this pre season. If Doss and Reed can't step up this pre season I agree that they will never step up. That being said go three wide with the starters and see what these guys got. Don't go conservative power run with a few play action passes. Or run run 3rd and long.

    Some rookies looked good against the other teams scrubs. I think Williams and Fursty earned some first team reps this week. Mellette and Brown need to show a bit more. Fursty because he can work the middle. VS is a known commodity. Dickson is a known commodity. Fursty has some ability. Lets see if we can rely on him.
    The Ravens actually played quite a bit of 3 WR sets last year. Jacoby had a ton of snaps on offense last year as our 3rd WR. We weren't the Packers in terms of WR's and pass plays, but if I'm not mistaken, we were slightly above league average in a time where almost everybody throws the ball 60 percent of the time or more.

    If your argument is that these guys don't have a ton of plays on the field, I'd agree. I'd also say there is a huge reason for that, the there are better players on the field...which was my point.




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  10. #82

    Re: The Good, Bad & Ugly: Ravens @ Bucs

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    The Ravens actually played quite a bit of 3 WR sets last year. Jacoby had a ton of snaps on offense last year as our 3rd WR. We weren't the Packers in terms of WR's and pass plays, but if I'm not mistaken, we were slightly above league average in a time where almost everybody throws the ball 60 percent of the time or more.

    If your argument is that these guys don't have a ton of plays on the field, I'd agree. I'd also say there is a huge reason for that, the there are better players on the field...which was my point.




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    And my point is that Torrey wouldn't have even seen that many targets if it weren't for the vet getting hurt in 2011. Torrey's preseason was subpar. He barely caught anything. When Lee went down, based on what he did in the preseason, there was no reason to think that he would perform half as well as he did in St. Louis. Then, you have to look at the inconsistencies he went through that first year, dropping passes that should have been caught, struggling to get off of the jam, stopping on routes when he doesn't think the ball is coming his way. He is a far better WR now, but he didn't come out of the gate like that (Although that game against the Rams was sweet.).

    Doss dealt with injuries. We know about Reed's issues and I can roll with your thought as it pertains to him. My main issue with Doss is his injury history.

    When you are dealing with young WRs, you are going to have to work out the kinks of inconsistency, much of that comes in the regular season.

    Now, if they are plain stinking up the joint, I'd be more with you, but I don't automatically equate the idea of none of them separating themselves to none of them improving and so forth. Sure, we've heard some snippets, but it's not even as if the media is allowed to see entire practices and just how many reliable sources do we really have out there?

    I mean, who expected Harewood to be a starter week 1? For all we know, Thompson might have ended up being that guy with Doss in the slot.

    I also think that part of the desire for posters to let the young players have at it is, because the veteran acquisitions have been subpar anyway. Boldin wasn't even a consistent pass catcher until that hot run in the postseason.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  11. #83

    Re: The Good, Bad & Ugly: Ravens @ Bucs

    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    And my point is that Torrey wouldn't have even seen that many targets if it weren't for the vet getting hurt in 2011. Torrey's preseason was subpar. He barely caught anything. When Lee went down, based on what he did in the preseason, there was no reason to think that he would perform half as well as he did in St. Louis. Then, you have to look at the inconsistencies he went through that first year, dropping passes that should have been caught, struggling to get off of the jam, stopping on routes when he doesn't think the ball is coming his way. He is a far better WR now, but he didn't come out of the gate like that (Although that game against the Rams was sweet.).

    Doss dealt with injuries. We know about Reed's issues and I can roll with your thought as it pertains to him. My main issue with Doss is his injury history.

    When you are dealing with young WRs, you are going to have to work out the kinks of inconsistency, much of that comes in the regular season.

    Now, if they are plain stinking up the joint, I'd be more with you, but I don't automatically equate the idea of none of them separating themselves to none of them improving and so forth. Sure, we've heard some snippets, but it's not even as if the media is allowed to see entire practices and just how many reliable sources do we really have out there?

    I mean, who expected Harewood to be a starter week 1? For all we know, Thompson might have ended up being that guy with Doss in the slot.

    I also think that part of the desire for posters to let the young players have at it is, because the veteran acquisitions have been subpar anyway. Boldin wasn't even a consistent pass catcher until that hot run in the postseason.
    How do you know the team wouldn't have benched Evans?

    As for the rest of what you wrote, I'm just going to say good luck holding onto that single instance of a story like Torrey's. I'll go with the averages which say that is not just rare, but extremely rare. And it's funny you are still holding onto the idea that its not a bad thing that nobody has shown they deserve to be on the field as we continue to sign he 2008 All Madden team to catch passes.

    If the front office listened to you, we'd have started David Reed and never signed Jacoby Jones last year.




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland